Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Speell Chacking (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/speell-chacking-517567/)

4totravel Apr 1st, 2005 03:26 AM

Speell Chacking

Does anyone know if you can spell check your posts before posting ... maybe Fodors can add that feature to the board...would help me!!

Marlie Apr 1st, 2005 03:50 AM

Type your reply on Word.
Do spell check there.
Cut and paste to your "post a reply" space.

That's it!

artstuff Apr 1st, 2005 04:02 AM

DON'T DELETE THIS BECAUSE IT LOOKS WEIRD. BELIEVE IT OR NOT YOU CAN READ IT.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mind: aoccdrnig to a rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy. It deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia.

Amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

Robyn :)>-

Nikki Apr 1st, 2005 04:08 AM

Yup, you can read it, but have you ever seen how quickly spelling errors are picked up and commented on here?

ira Apr 1st, 2005 04:49 AM

>This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.<

I must disagree.

I can understand what you have written because I look at each letter in a grouping and then try to create a pattern that is congruent to a previous pattern of a known word.

Sort of like playing Scrabble.

>and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.<

The fact that I am capable of making sense out of gibberish doesn't mean that you are relieved of the responsibility of not writing gibberish to begin with.

Whit da yie nike of thus singins?

((I))

LarryJ Apr 1st, 2005 04:54 AM

This board has a spell checker. Just type your message, post it and within 5 minutes your message will receive a reply pointing out all your spelling errors. Works great!

Larry J

Barbara Apr 1st, 2005 06:53 AM

Larry, LOL!

artstuff Apr 1st, 2005 08:37 AM

PLEASE, don't kill the messenger...

I humbly apologize for not clarifying the origination of my first post on this thread. I cut & pasted the entire post (sans Robyn :)>- ) from an e-mail I had received last night. When I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought of the e-mail, and thought it would be an interesting little ditty to share, especially since it is April Fool's Day. It was meant in a light-hearted manner.

In no way do I think that proper spelling is unimportant. Peace.

Robyn :)>-

ira Apr 1st, 2005 08:46 AM

Hey Robyn,

No need to apologize.

The item you posted has been around for some time.

Besides, we need something to get our blood flowing. :)

((I))

stragic Apr 1st, 2005 08:49 AM

artstuff-
I thought your post was interesting!

SuzieC Apr 1st, 2005 09:46 AM

Larry? You're on the money!

Renee Apr 1st, 2005 10:13 AM

Larry,

You've made my day!! roflol!!

lucygirl Apr 1st, 2005 10:18 AM

Too cool!

Nutella Apr 1st, 2005 10:55 AM

i'll add my LOL to larry's post too!
- nutella (recent victim of the fodors spell checker :)

elizabeth_reed Apr 1st, 2005 11:07 AM

Good one, Larry!!

4totravel Apr 1st, 2005 12:32 PM

Very funny Larry! Thanks!

cigalechanta Apr 1st, 2005 12:35 PM

Yes, I get many replies :)

Marlie Apr 1st, 2005 03:18 PM

I also think it's important to spell correctly but I would never correct anyone on their spelling. Except for my husband that is.

Robbyn

Eloise Apr 1st, 2005 04:21 PM

4totravel: Composing and spell checking in Word is fine, but do be aware that there are some signs and symbols that come out totally wrong when you put them into the "Post a reply" box.

Therefore, unfortunately, you also have to use the "Preview my reply" option before posting.

What one doesn't have to go through in order not to incur the wrath of the Fodor's spelling police...

Nikki Apr 1st, 2005 05:54 PM

Eloise, you can make Word documents come out right on Fodor's by turning off Autocorrect, I believe.