Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Specific advice, please, for standing room at Staatsoper Vienna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/specific-advice-please-for-standing-room-at-staatsoper-vienna-856268/)

kmbp Aug 24th, 2010 06:42 PM

Specific advice, please, for standing room at Staatsoper Vienna

With thanks for all the detailed advice from generous Fodorites in previous threads, my husband and I would like to try to get standing room tickets for a performance at the Staatsoper Vienna in September.

I understand that the line to obtain tickets may form well before the sales begin (80 minutes before the performance) and that the timing depends on the popularity of the production and the cast.

Could someone please advise these opera dilettantes how early we should plan to arrive to queue for the evening performances we are considering? They are--

Friday, September 10, Die Zauberflute with Gunther Groissbock, Matthias Klink, Albina Shagimuratova, Anita Hartig, Markus Werba (Ivor Boltorn director)

Monday, September 13, La Boheme with Massimo Giordano, Marco Caria, Krassimira Stovanova, Alexandra Reinprecht (Louis Langree, director)

Thanks for your help!

DalaiLlama Aug 26th, 2010 07:52 PM

The line will form well before the 80 minutes you mention. It's the sale of standing-room tickets that begins 80 minutes before the performance. How much sooner you should stand in line? Go by the Opera a couple of hours before the performance and take a look - if people are in line, get in line.

But it is deceptive - there are lots of people who get standing-room tickets without having to stand in that line. They can pay 70Euros for a card for the entire season that entitles them to buy standing-room tickets in advance, up to 12 noon on the day of the performance, so even if you don't see too many paople in line, you may see many more crowded into the standing-room area when the opera begins.

molker Aug 27th, 2010 12:22 AM

I would check your dates again.

The 13th is a ballet - perhaps you refer to the 12th for La Boheme.
This a sunday evening - this Opera is presented several times during this period- different Director and cast offered .
One has Villazon and with the new Opera Director - more interest in this evening .
The 12th , I believe is with the " Other " cast " perhaps a little less interest.

Perhaps Zauberflote would see fewer standing room and be easier.

Normally good interest during this time as the season is just beginning and many can not wait to get back to the Opera.

But note - 500 plus standing room places are available- and also some of the season standing room vouchers require being in line for the tickets too.
Thus use this also in your decision making

lincasanova Aug 27th, 2010 01:00 AM

be sure to buy the more expensive standing room as it is on the main floor and has railings to lean on. The upper tier standing room is much less pleasant. take a scarf to tie on the railing to save your space when you arrive. then go see the beautiful salons.

kmbp Aug 27th, 2010 11:24 AM

Thanks for your responses, everyone--just the kind of info I needed.

Your correction is noted, molker. I erred when transferring the schedule to our personal trip calendar. I appreciate your insights regarding these productions (as I have appreciated your many posts to other questions--from me and others--on Vienna, and Austria in general). You have been a great source of information for this trip.

lincasanova, you too have been a terrific resource. My Staatsoper cut-and-paste document includes your very detailed advice about procedures for standing room which you posted in June as a response to easytraveler. Scarves are on the packing list!

DalaiLlama, thanks for the reminder about the card-holders. Lincasanova has recommended arriving early enough to secure a spot at the railing and that's what we are hoping to do.

lincasanova Aug 27th, 2010 02:58 PM

I think the main floor railing higher priced standing room does not sell as quickly, but I may be wrong there!

I have always just sacrificed the time and gone very early. You always end up chatting with some very nice people in line. Each person has to buy his own ticket, though.. so you must ALL stand in line the whole time.. not just one go and save a space and then the rest of the group shows up like at many other situations when the box office opens. The guards will even pull those people out of line..
they are very strict to do this fairly.

Amazing how well it works.
Lucky you!

Attnymom Aug 27th, 2010 03:11 PM

I got in line about 90 minutes early and was fairly far back in line, however I did get a ticket with no problem. As Lincasanova says, they will NOT let you buy more than one ticket - your entire party must wait in line together.

kmbp Aug 27th, 2010 03:49 PM

So, if the performance begins at 7:30 pm, we'll plan to arrive by 4:00-4:30 at the latest...and we'll both stand in line to get the tickets for the main floor/parterre, then wait until we are admitted. We'll tie scarves on the railing at our places ('end' spots may be more comfortable), then explore the building (if we haven't taken the tour earlier in the day).

Is there a cafe/bar where we'll be able to have a drink and something to eat before the performance begins?

lincasanova Aug 27th, 2010 04:09 PM

Wow. That IS early.

If they start selling tickets at 6 pm.. I would go around 5:00 at earliest.

What do you others who frequent there think?

I find AISLE spots more comfortable. The "open" end.

There is place to buy drinks, champagne and snacks. You may want to bring some snacks in your purse, too. Remember to check your coat as you are not allowed any outerwear inside the theater while viewing a production.

have fun.

Be prepared to find some unsuspecting tourists in your places and not understand one bit what is going on with all these scarves.

lincasanova Aug 27th, 2010 04:12 PM

Actually, once the scarf is in place, you may want to leave and go across the side road to a small café and have a bite to eat.

You may also be lucky and if you see someone come into the line area asking if anyone wants a seat.. season ticket holders do bring in their tickets and offer them sometimes.

kmbp Aug 27th, 2010 04:38 PM

Thanks, lincasanova. I'm hoping folks will agree with your suggestion of 5:00. And yes, I did envision the aisle 'end.'

That Friday will be our first full day in Vienna--it's such fun planning how we'll use our time there!