Specialty food stores in Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be in Madrid just for a day on my way in and out of a trip, and would like to spend a few hours buying food items -- olive oils, dried beans, some pimenton, etc. I will be staying near the Puerta de Sol, and I know the Corte Ingles has a supermarket in the basement, but last year when I passed through I was disappointed with its selection. So, I'm wondering if anyone has good suggestions for food stores that are in the Sol area or thereabouts. Thanks, Laurie
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Did you go to their separate "gourmet shop"? ekscrunchy did a food report on her last trip and I believe she posted some delicatessen as well as C.I.
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM

The gourmet shop in the El Corte Inglés does have a decent selection, but if you have the time, and inclined to shop for the best, then you'll have to do some walking.

Mantequeria Bravo, C/ Ayala, 24
La Boulette, Mercado de la Paz, C/ Ayala, 28
Poncelet, Calle Argensola, 27
Patrimonio Comunal Olivarero, Mejía Lequerica, 1
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:58 AM

Remember that if you try to bring the oil in a carry on bag, it will be confiscated at security in many airports (LHR, FRA for sure).

This may not be relevant in your case, but it may help others.
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for these tips, I will make a point of checking some of the places out. The two not on Calle Ayala are very close to my hotel, whis near the Gran Via, so I'll definitely visit them.

Ackislander, I'm a real pro at bringing back olive oil. And you're right that it will be confiscated as carry on at all airports, for sure. I pack it in my suitcase -- on my trip home from Lisbon this spring, I brought 9 liters of various shapes and sizes, all packed in my checked baggage. Mainly cans and plastic bottles, but I also brought back two glass bottles packed in hard boxes and they were fine, too. I've been doing this since the liquid ban went in, and I've never had anything break or pop, knock on wood. I have had a can or two get dented, but that was because they were checked in a backpack not a suitcase with harder sides.

And I also bring back a lot of cheese. So long as it's either a whole cheese or is vacuum packed, I never have a problem with spoilage. One of the stores Robert recommended , Poncelet, specializes in cheese, so I will be there with hopes of finding some good Asturian cheeses, hopefully La Peral for starters!
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM

We have brought back oil from Spain, too. I know that the confiscate in Frankfurt because our traveling friend had his in carryon baggage!

The only thing we have ever had trouble with was a quart of maple syrup we were bringing to a friend in the UK. It was in its original plastic bottle, and the lid popped off in my luggage, I assume as a result of pressure issues. Two days of hosing the bag and multiple washings of the clothes finallly conquered a very distinct maple smell!
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM

When transporting liquids, oils or syrups I like to wrap them in newspaper, then plastic. I always tape down the flip up lids also.