Reload this Page >

Special hotel for one final night in Paris

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've been lurking on these boards for awhile and have really learned a lot. My husband and I are planning a trip to Paris and Amsterdam, Sept. 1-13. We're in our late 20s and have been to Europe a few times before.

Our itinerary goes like this: five nights in Paris, one in Bruges, four in Amsterdam, and then one in Paris (we fly out the next day, a Monday). I have all of our lodging booked except that final Sunday night in Paris. We're staying in a 2-star hotel in the Latin Quarter for our first five nights, and we're thinking about trying a hotel in a different arrondissement for that final night, something charming and not too sterile. (We don't care about A/C or minibars or that sort of thing.) I'm having trouble identifying a few to contact--any personal favorites you can recommend? 3-star would be fine. And does anyone know if it's generally difficult to get a room for only one night? I assume Sept. is still high season.

Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:27 AM

We did something similar last year--stayed at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in the 5eme prior to leaving for the South, then booked a nicer hotel for our last two nights in Paris.

Our choice was the Hotel de Banville, in the 17th. They do have a web site with photos, so you can see how charming the rooms are. I don't think you'd have trouble booking for just one night there; it's a little off the beaten track.

Another good thing about the Hotel de Banville is that, if you're leaving from CDG, you'll be on that side of Paris and near the periphique, so your final drive to the airport shouldn't be nearly as stressful as if you had to travel all the way across the city.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Ah, here's the URL for the web site:

http://www.hotelbanville.fr/

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!

I should note that we're flying out of CDG at 2 p.m., and we'll be taking the RER to the airport, I think. We won't have a car.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

elle, that hotel looks absolutely lovely! And they have rooms available for that night.

One question: what is the neighborhood like around there? Restaurants and nightlife nearby? We'll probably be arriving from A'dam in the late afternoon, so we'll just enjoy a final dinner and drinks in Paris and call it a night.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Another option is the Hotel de Notre Dame

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...de_France.html

It's near a metro stop to CDG and not too far from the RER stop.

It shouldn't be hard to get a room for one night, in fact probably easier than for multiple nights. You even might want to check for last minute bargains if you'll have internet access. Websites like laterooms.com, wotif.com and lastminute.com sometimes have deals. Be careful to double check rates though before booking. (check on hotel's own website before committing). Don't assume just because they're on a discount site you're getting a bargain. I've seen rates that a
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:54 AM

My favorite hotel is the Hotel relais du Louvre in the 1st (east end of the Louvre, across the street) ... anyway,
if you do decide for that special last night ... and stay in the 17th, I got curious went to "reservethebest.com" just to see what was up there.. Oh boy... can you opt to eat beautifully!
Check it out...
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:57 AM

..for something "very Paris" stay on ile st. louis...hotel deux iles or hotel de lutece....for a financial splurge. hotel duc saint simon near the rue du bac metro.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

www.reservethebest.com is a great site--thanks! And thanks for the other hotel suggestions, too. I know the Ile St.-Louis is supposed to be beautiful... we might consider that, although it's very close to where we'll be our first five days, and we thought we'd try a different area. We'll see...
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:22 AM

I would recommend the Hotel de Buci on the Left Bank just off of Saint Germain. It is a charming and romantic small hotel. Shopping and restaurants is abundant and all of the sights of Paris are at your doorstep. A Metro station is just down the street.

I have stayed in many hotels in Paris, and this is my favorite.

Enjoy.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:36 AM

I don't think it's difficult to get a room for one night, hotels shouldn't care if they have a room free.

However, just wanted to warn you that September is the *beginning* of high hotel season, rates often go up Sept. 1st for many hotels. I think you may be thinking summer is high season, but it isn't, it's low hotel season in Paris. Sept-Oct is high season, as well as the end-of-year holidays. Because it is high saeson, you should be sure to book a hotel as soon as you've picked one out you like.

If I were you, I'd pick something within walking distance of the RER line if that's how you are going to the airport. For me, that would be the Pantheon/Luxembourg gardens area, but that's where you would be the first time. There isn't any neighborhood I like that well near the RER line on the Right Bank, but for one night in your circumstances, I probably would stay around Chatelet/Les Halles stop.

There are a few decent hotels around the Chatelet stop, and that might be a good way to stay there, as I wouldn't want to long term. there are some good jazz clubs and bars around there, also. I would look at hotels Brittanique or the Victoria Chatelet. Both are 3* not far from the RER stop or Chatelet metro on ave Victoria. I think both are reasonable, I know the Victoria Chatelet is. Here's its URL
http://www.hovicha.com/
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:37 AM

It's a very residential neighborhood, with lots of neighborhood-type restaurants nearby, especially around Place Periere. The front staff was very helpful at giving us restaurant suggestions.

I don't think there's much in the way of nightlife (if you mean dancing or shows), but there are plenty of little places to stop for a drink. There's even a small bar in the hotel. We bought a bottle of wine and sat down there one night and drank some of it. (You can buy drinks there as well, we just happened to have a bottle we wanted to try and they were nice enough to chill it for us.)

You may not care about this in September, but the hotel makes a really fabulous hot chocolate! (We were there in May and I never thought I'd be drinking hot chocolate in May but it was cold and rainy and the chocolate was just sooooo good. . . )

The hotel arranged for an airport shuttle for us. If I remember correctly, it was about 17 euros per person, which is certainly not as cheap as the RER, but we were at the end of a trip and had acquired a lot of things, so there was luggage to consider.

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:39 AM

We often stay at the Hotel des Saints-Peres, in the 6th Arr. just off the Blvd. Ste. Germain. It is a lovely small hotel with charming rooms and modern marble baths in a nice area. Most of the rooms overlook a courtyard and are very quiet. Whatever you decide, make reservations soon as the fashion shows start in Paris in September and reservations are sometimes difficult to make.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:54 AM

For one special night in Paris I would opt for St. Germain (6th district or the 7th bordering on the 6th) instead of the 17th. The Hotel de Banville looks very nice but the area isn't as charming (in my opinion only) as the 6th.

The Hotel de Buci has pretty small yet expensive rooms and is located in the 6th but on very busy rue de Buci. One thing to note is that they have a 15 day cancellation policy and they charge a 14 euro cancellation fee.

I have read very good comments about the Relais Christine and Hotel d'Aubusson in the 6th and Hotel Duc de Saint Simon in the 7th. I realize these are very expensive choices but for one final night in Paris I don't think it would be that bad.

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Not that this should influence your decision but I just read in InStyle magazine that Hugh Grant and Johnny Depp favor the Relais Christine.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:29 PM

that's odd ... I like Johnny Depp but picture him more of a hip, Right Bank-kind of guy (he does own, or used to, part of Man Ray bar) -- maybe Hotel Lancaster or something like that. I read he has stayed at George V, also. I think he may have met his wife there.

Hugh Grant I see at the Ritz, perhaps, or L'Hotel or the Meurice.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Yeah, I agree about Johnny Depp-perhaps as he matures, his tastes are changing. I picture him staying at Pershing Hall or Hotel Costes actually. Well, I would like to think the "stars" have the same tastes as we do here. Lauren Bacall could stay anywhere but she particularly favors the Hotel Duc de Saint Simon. I read that some other celebrities favor that hotel too: Debbie Reynolds, Claudia Cardinale, and Toni Morrison.