Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Special hotel for honeymoon-Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/special-hotel-for-honeymoon-italy-258721/)

KC Sep 17th, 2002 07:53 AM

Special hotel for honeymoon-Italy

I am looking for a somewhat upscale hotel for our honeymoon in the Cinque Terre area and the Varenna area. I have researched several hotels, but they aren't what I had pictured for our honeymoon suite!! Any information would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR><BR>KC

david Sep 17th, 2002 08:11 AM

The most upscale hotel in Cinque Terre is the Porto Roca in Monterosso. I haven't stayed there, but it looks like it would be a very good honeymoon hotel. Do a search to find their website. Not too far from Cinque Terre is Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino, both of which have a number of suitable hotels. I don't know about Varenna, but right across the lake in Bellagio there are hotels worthy of a honeymoon, including the five star Villa Serbelloni.

Dona Sep 17th, 2002 11:38 AM

KC -<BR><BR>I've stayed at Porta Roca in Monterosso and liked it very much. The rooms look out over the sea. Be sure that you mention that it's your honeymoon when you make the reservation and that you'd like a really nice room. That sometimes makes a difference...<BR><BR>Enjoy yourself.<BR><BR>Dona

joanne Sep 27th, 2002 05:15 PM

Varenna is wonderfully romantic and there is wonderfully little to see and do there, which I believe is what a honeymoon should be. I've never been to the Cinque Terre, but have heard from others who said it is wonderful. Bellagio has more restaurants and more hotels but we found it a little stuffy. If you want to stay in the Hotel Serbelloni, be prepared to shell out $$$$.<BR><BR>Varenna is quiet and has wonderful cobblestone alleyways. You can always hop on a ferry to go to Bellagio, do your shopping or enjoy the restaurants there if you are not happy with the ones in Varenna.<BR><BR>Hotel recommendations:<BR><BR>Albergo Milano-ask for rooms 1 or 2-they have huge terraces with patio furniture or you can ask for 5 or 6-the have a small balcony and are right above 1 and 2. Views are a little better from high above.<BR><BR>Eremo Gaudio-this is a wonderful little place that used to be a hermitage in the 40's and was renovated in 2000 as a hotel. It is within 15 min walking distance to the center of town, way up on a hill which can only be accessed by elevator/funicular like ride. Ask for a room with a balcony and view of the lake. We had the Giriante room (spelling might be wrong) with roundabout views of the lake. They also have other rooms with bigger terraces. The place is nicely decorated and it is new and also very quiet and secluded. Worth the walk up the hill!<BR><BR>Well I hope I was helpful! Any questions don't hesitate.

Suzanne Sep 28th, 2002 09:30 PM

"Upscale" in Cinque Terra is a contradiction in terms, as most hotels are generally efficient and nice, but rarely upscale or extravagant. For extravagance, you would have to go 40 minutes north of the CT to Portofino/Santa Margherita Ligure. Otherwise, I would concur that the closest you will find to high-end, "upscale" would be in Monterosso al Mare at the Porto Roca. My fiance owns the biggest (19 rooms) and nicest hotel in Riomaggiore - Villa Argentina -and that is a 2 star hotel. That should give you an idea of the type of hotels located in the not-as-modern area that CT is, compared to other upscale Italian Riviera areas (such as Portofino, etc).

bella italia Sep 29th, 2002 01:36 AM

The Cenobio dei Dogi hotel in the quaint fishing village of Camogli also north of 5T is also an option.

rich Sep 29th, 2002 03:14 PM

the splendido in portofino is beyond awesome. villa serbelloni in bellagio is overrated, i was just there. villa d'este in the como area is one of the best in the world.