Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Special gifts from Amalfi Coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/special-gifts-from-amalfi-coast-970981/)

yorkshire Mar 18th, 2013 02:02 PM

Special gifts from Amalfi Coast

As I count down to my trip to the Amalfi Coast, I'm sure I'll have more questions, but today I am thinking of souvenirs--gifts to be precise. I have some special ladies to buy for. I recently read about Carthusia in Capri (where I will not go, but they have a store in Positano and Naples airport). Buying perfume for someone else is so difficult though.
I imagine paper might be a nice gift for the letter-writer, but maybe not quite it either.
Food items are less likely because of the difficulties of international (carry on) air travel, and I can make limoncello.
I'll be staying one town over from Vietri, so I'll be bound to check out some pottery at some point.
Does anyone have any special shops--particularly handcrafted jewelry--to recommend?

ekc Mar 18th, 2013 02:19 PM

If you are near Vietri, you will be able to find loads of ceramics for gifts - both small and large! Paper from a speciality shop in Amalfi would make a wonderful gift - since it was the paper-making capital of Europe at one time. There is even a paper-making museum in Amalfi. It is also very light to carry home! I picked up a wonderful necklace from a store in Positano - along with a pair of custom-made sandals. Lots of great shopping there!

I always travel carry-on only going TO Italy, but I have a medium collapsable duffel bag that I put in my carryon. When I am leaving I usually fill the duffel with my souveniers and check my suitcase with dirty laundry and stuff that I bought that I can't carry-on (like wine or other liquids - colatura that I bought in Cetara when I was last on the Amalfi Coast).

Jean Mar 18th, 2013 02:33 PM

You'll have many choices for souvenirs. I wouldn't buy perfume unless you are very sure of the person's preferred scent type.

We've bought beautiful table linens, jewelry, wood boxes (both with music mechanisms and without) with marquetry/intarsa tops, and all manner and sizes of ceramic/pottery pieces.

The area is known for red coral jewelry, but the coral is not from the Med and some people object to harvesting living red coral. You'll also see lots of cameos, and you should educate yourself a little about cameos (even online) before you start shopping. It's easy to spend more than the cameo is worth.

My favorite souvenir from the area is a wooden memory (or keepsake) box from the early 20th C. I found in an antique shop in Sorrento.

kja Mar 18th, 2013 06:57 PM

If you are interested in gifts (not just souvenirs) the area is known for high quality cameos (as Jean mentioned). I stopped at a shop/"museum" next to /near the cathedral in Ravello, where I enjoyed seeing the craftsmen working, as well as their results - some were exquisite! It's a small shop; I have no idea how extensive their inventory is. To my surprise, there were actually some pieces on display in the price range I was willing to consider, but it was very crowded at the time; I thought I would return, but wasn't able to do so before it closed.

And as ekc mentioned, paper is a logical gift from Amalfi. The shops I stopped in didn't have much of a selection, but the paper was of very high quality - especially the VERY simple stationary. I would note, however, that paper is not necessarily a lightweight gift!

I'm sure you've already considered the difficulties of transporting ceramics on your own and the costs of shipping it. But some of the smaller, more easily transportable pieces can be lightweight enough to be very reasonable purchases -- assuming you'll be near your final destination of the trip when you purchase them. You might consider bringing some bubble wrap with you....

annw Mar 18th, 2013 07:57 PM

I brought back some lemon-themed small ceramics, as well as some of the "cream" limoncello (since I make the regular kind but not that kind). I also like the paper/stationery idea.

annw Mar 18th, 2013 07:58 PM

But what I remember most, and long for, is the candied orange peel from a shop right in the main plaza/passagiata area of Amalfi.

ekscrunchy Mar 19th, 2013 04:24 AM

AnnW: Pansa, in Amalfi?

http://www.pasticceriapansa.it/

annw Mar 19th, 2013 06:46 AM

Thanks, eks -- a nice trip down memory lane! :)

yorkshire Mar 19th, 2013 08:23 AM

thanks everyone--sounds like my only challenge will be finding time to shop...wondering if 4 days should have been 7!

A_Brit_In_Ischia Mar 19th, 2013 10:33 AM

And if you want to take home some proper Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP, wait until you're at the airport - and go to the Obika restaraunt/shop, one of the last before we Brits are split off from everyone else!

http://www.pbase.com/image/139184738

Peter

yorkshire Mar 19th, 2013 10:46 AM

Ooh, my name is deceptive because I'm not really from Yorkshire, but some mozzarella for the ride home is a fantastic idea! I have decided to never eat plane food again if I don't have to, but the way home is much more problematic for that. It won't even make it to my layover, much less the States.

A_Brit_In_Ischia Mar 20th, 2013 12:26 AM

We've been surprised how good they are!

After stumbling across the original branch, near the Palazzo Incontro in Rome in 2006, we've often eaten at the one in the Campo de' Fiori... getting a much wider selection there than most places in Campania offer!

Might be helpful to go to your profile and fill in even a loose description of your "Current location" ?

Peter

rastogikhushi Mar 21st, 2013 12:14 AM

Nice sharing of thread...

Girls are master to buying the gifts. If anyone like to buy gifts then he should be with a girl.
It is very good that you're with her to shop some gifts....

Regards
Send Gifts to India
http://www.giftsatclick.com

traveller1959 May 2nd, 2015 12:34 PM

THE typical Amalfi Coast souvenir is the lemon. You find lemon-related stuff you never imagined. Just go on the market of Amalfi or in any gift shop - you will find a whole plethora of high-quality souvenirs.

I personally loved different varieties of lemon chocolate - dark chocolate with lemon zest, white lemon chocolate, whatever. It won't be any problem to take lemon chocolate on the plane and through customs.

Betsy May 2nd, 2015 01:00 PM

Ha. Those lemon chocolate goodies probably wouldn't even make it to the plane, much less through customs. Salivating on the keyboard.

Sassafrass May 2nd, 2015 01:19 PM

The wooden boxes are beautiful and have many uses.
Cameo only if you know for sure the person will like it.