Special birthday for a kid in Austria?

Jul 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Special birthday for a kid in Austria?

We are on a multi year tip around the world with a 6yo girl who is nicknamed Mozart for her love of music ( she plays piano and violin).

She has always had big parties, but we can not do that on the road, so look to have a special day.

She had her 6th in Paris which was divine with a day at a special amusement park in the city ( petite train there), chose gifts at the Louvre kids gift shop, went to the top of the Eiffel tower at night, picked Pizza for dinner.

She wanted to do Pompei this year, but we will be closer to Austria in September when its her birthday so I am thinking Saltzburg or Vienna.

I am leaning towards Saltzburg as it looks very fairy tale, she loves opera and maybe we could see one, we would also be interested in maybe a bicycle tour of sound of music. ( She loves it and plays some of the tunes on piano well).

Any ideas? Any special hotels come to mind?

She loves chocolate and I hear it is good there. Any ideas where to get good gifts? ( We love the idea of a museum gift shop where she can pick out 3 good things).

Thanks so much!
Jul 25th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Here's who we are and pictures & blog of our almost year of travel so far:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/
Jul 25th, 2007, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi WT,

>We are on a multi year tip around the world with a 6yo girl who is nicknamed Mozart ...<

Lucky you.

You have to wonder about taking her to Salzburg?

I think that you would all like www.marionetten.at

>Any special hotels come to mind?
What's your budget?

Jul 25th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Opera in Salzburg at any time in the next few weeks is mostly going to be part of the Salzburg Festival. Verrry big bucks and no availability, except "on request". And during the Festival, accommodation will also be tight and overpriced.

But in addition to the Marionette Theater, there are other "less formal" opera venues, with dinner/lunch performances. You might want to check out
http://en.salzburgticket.com/

*The* chocolate in Salzburg is the Mozartkugel ("Mozart ball"). You'll see it absolutely everywhere. It's a confection of nougat and almond paste, covered in chocolate.

The house where Mozart was born is, of course, in Salzburg, and it's now a museum. I don't remember whether it has a gift shop. Other than that, there is no very interesting museum in Salzburg.

Vienna is not to be sniffed at either. Many wonderful museums there, and I'm sure there are concerts as well, probably even listed on the Web site linked above. And the Mozartkugel is almost as ubiquitous in Vienna as in Salzburg.
Jul 26th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

We are traveling as we plan so it is impossible to know everything about every where. I don't really know too much about this area as I have not been there before.

Last year was easier to plan as I have been to Paris a lot and had lots of time to plan before we started our trip.

PLanning while moving is a other ball game. We are in Satorini at the moment heading to croatia soon.

So I could do it in northern Croatia, slovenia, vienna or saltzburg...but leaning most towards Saltzburg for the charm, Mozart and sound of music tours.

Thanks for all your suggestions! We mostly travel by RV but will go up to 150 euro for a night at a hotel altho we have found some spectacular places for much less.

We are on a budget so less is always better, but we like to find the best we can for the lowest price.

Hopefully Sept will be past high season right?

BTW I am not sniffing at Vienna, but it just seems to have less for a kid. We will see it though.

Does anyone have more insight into the bus versus the bike sound of music tours? Not something I am interested in , but something she would probably really enjoy. I can not decide which way to go on this.

The marionettes look great!

If you had these choices for a precocious musical kid where would you pick to do a birthday?
Jul 26th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Vienna has much more for children than Salzburg.

If I had a precocious musical child, I think I would stop the "hot housing" for five minutes and bring here to the zoo.
Jul 26th, 2007, 02:11 AM

I agree with Lawchick. Salzburg is very charming and shouldn't be missed but Vienna is even better for a child - and certainly one who loves music. I first went to Vienna as a child and it was magical and I return often with my young children. They adore it there.
Jul 26th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

<If I had a precocious musical child, I think I would stop the "hot housing" for five minutes and bring here to the zoo.>

Whoa! Is rudeness really necessarty? Clearly you know NOTHING about precocious children or parenting or our family.

I have been active on fodors for some time now and this is the first rude comment.

Thankfully there are lots of very helpful people here and other places. Sounds like your eyes are too green with envy to make any useful comments that are on topic.

Trust me, my child has been to wonderful zoos all over the world and is the last thing from hot housed.

I was looking for special places in Saltzburg or area to give a very sweet child a special birthday...something unique for a child who lives a unique life.

Jul 26th, 2007, 03:41 AM

Aside from the marionettes, your daughter might enjoy a boatride on the river from Salzburg down to Schloss Hellbrunn and then a tour of the trick fountains.

The Hohenwerfen outside Salzburg has lots to interest kids, including "fairy tale" hikes.
http://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/werfen/index.php

You might also want to consider staying outside Salzburg itself in the small town of St. Gilgen.
Jul 26th, 2007, 03:44 AM

For example, there are two fairy tale hikes scheduled for September. Your daughter would enjoy those (I'm guessing) plus she would be in the company of other kids. In September, the castle is also hosting special medieval festival days, with extensive kids' programs, fencing demonstrations and even a child's jousting tournament.
Jul 26th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

That sounds really cool BTilke,Thanks!!

We used to love to go to the ren fairs in our area, so she would like that and loves fencing!
Jul 26th, 2007, 04:14 AM
ira

Hi WT,

>We mostly travel by RV but will go up to 150 euro for a night at a hotel altho we have found some spectacular places for much less.<

I can highly recommend www.ammoos.at in Salzburg.
See my trip report for details.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Re "Sound of Music" tours: Are you big fans of th movie? If not, I don;t think that they are worth the cost.

Also look into http://www.hellbrunn.at/hellbrunn/en...for_a_view.asp

The Salzburg card is a good buy.
www2.salzburg.info/sehenswertes_283.htm

Another vote for the raptors at Hohenwerfen.

Also consider a drive through the Salzkammergut: Salzburg to St Gilgen to Hallstatt to Toplitzsee.

Hallstatt is worth at least an overnight.

The Toplitzsee is quite beautiful and has a restaurant that is quite popular for local family outings.

Enjoy your visit.

Jul 26th, 2007, 07:11 AM

I apologise for offending you.

Because of her interest in Opera, you might like to go to Salzburg earlier - ie in August when the Salzburg festival is on. Usually accomodation is booked out well in advance, but you are self sufficient.
http://www.salzburgfestival.at/index.php?lang=en

For chocolate - try Fuerst - the original and best Mozartkugeln.

http://www.original-mozartkugel.com/

Vienna has a lot to offer children, and particualrly opera lovers - so leave plenty of time there.

Jul 26th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Another special treat for your daughter (if she's not afraid of heights) is to hop over the border into Bavaria and take a hot air balloon ride.
http://www.happy-ballooning.com/index.html

And yes, he IS a relative, but a distant one, so it's not a case of promoting the family business!
Jul 26th, 2007, 08:22 AM
MaureenB

When I was 6, I would have been thrilled to see the Royal Lippizzaners in Vienna. I am not sure when you'll be in Austria, but the horses do leave the city during the summer. Their stud farm is probably interesting, too. But seeing them rehearse or perform in their spectacular Winter Palace is an unforgettable experience.

Have fun finding a special place for your daughter!
>-

Jul 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Hey....I played piano by ear at 4 and was playing "Sound of Music " before my feet hit the pedals. I was plenty able to appreciate all things musical. Having just returned from amazing Salzburg, I guarantee she would love it. For a special birthday, consider doing the "Mozart dinner" at St Peter's Stiftskeller
http://www.salzburg.com/tourismus_e/118_3646.htm
The place is magical; it would be like a fairy tale! Also, you should visit one of the lakes...we loved St Gilgen. Take the ferry to St Wolfgang and take the old cog train up the Schafberg mountain for incredible views and an amazing lunch spot.
Aug 4th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody, thats a BIG help! We are still traveling in Greece and I have been without internet connection until now.

Thanks for the apology Lawchick, I appreciate it. I do often have odd questions as we have an unusual trip/lifestyle.

That is why I usually post the blog when I enter a new area so people might understand a little about why I might ask something odd.

My little Mozart is very excited by these possibilities!!
Aug 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM

The tips given to you are all good, but no one has suggested a "must" for a little girl's special birthday in Salzburg: The Salzburg Marionette Theater.

http://www.marionetten.at/

This is even more amazing for adults, because adults go into it thinking it will be "hokey" and "childish". However, when all patrons leave, they are equally amazed.

Don't forget one thing, though. Even though Mozart was born in Salzburg, the Salzburgers didn't appreciate him, and he left to live the rest of his life in both Prague and Vienna (where he died). Both of those cities he loved, and each has many important sites relating to Mozart.
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:11 AM

St Gilgen, mentioned in previous posts, also has a family connection with Mozart, which might be of interest, and there's a rather nice little museum of musical instruments.
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! I know Mozart was not too happy in Saltzburg, but I will not tell my 6yo just yet.

We WILL go onto Vienna and Prague and see those great sites too, but she is excited about Saltzburg now and we will see those marionettes and I think see that dinner where they dress up and play Mozart.

We really have enough to do for a week there!! It will be a great birthday that she will always remember. Thanks for making my little munchkin happy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO