Reload this Page >

Speaks no French

Search

Speaks no French

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:52 PM
Ron Reum

Speaks no French

We would like to visit a Provencal village in southern France near Avignon. We do not speak French. Are we crazy for wanting to visit an area where we can't speak the language?

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:56 PM
dan woodlief

Actually, it should make it more interesting. Just be adventurous. Chances are there will be quite a few locals who know a little English. It is always a good idea though to try to learn a few basic phrases like "Do you speak English?" and "Thank you."

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:56 PM
dan woodlief

Actually, it should make it more interesting. Just be adventurous. Chances are there will be quite a few locals who know a little English. It is always a good idea though to try to learn a few basic phrases like "Do you speak English?" and "Thank you."

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 02:08 PM
elvira

As long as you have a couple of polite phrases like merci, s'il vous plait, au revoir, you'll be fine. Make sure you have some sort of menu translator (there's mention of one called ABCs of French Food - or something like that) and go for it! Lots of people speak some English, and even if they don't, don't worry. It's not like going to the planet Gargon where they rip your arms off if you are an alien...the French outside of Paris are much more laid-back and easier to be around. <BR>Have fun! (get 'em to teach you boules/petanque)

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 02:10 PM
Richard

Not to worry, my wife and I have cycled Austria, Italy, Germany, Czech Republic and we speak only 2 languages, American and my wife is fluent in West Texan. Follow Dan's advice, learn the rudiments, Good morning, afternoon, evening; thank you, excuse me, where is the toilet. Don't bother with "how do I get to", "do you have" unless you're prepared for a reply in the native tongue. Smiles, pointing all help, raising your voice does not. Phonetics don't work. This May we were on our way to Zell, pretty simple, but no one knew where we meant, in German it's tSell.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 02:31 PM
wes fowler

Ron, <BR>Do make the effort to learn some of the basic words and phrases of politeness and use them freely. When encountering shopkeepers or waiters, be sure to address them with a "Bon jour". Don't forget a "Merci" or two. It'll make you welcome the next time you drop by for a coffee or pastry.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 03:48 PM
KT

Don't forget a small French-English (and vice-versa) dictionary. You may well find it more useful than a phrasebook at times, like when you want to find the name of something you need or want without wading through the names of what the phrasebook thinks you're likely to need or want.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 05:36 PM
Ann

I spoke absolutely no French when I decided to travel to Provence and Paris this past spring. Before going, I learned a little bit using a computer program; this was very helpful. I always began an encounter by saying in French, "I can't speak French. Do you speak English?" This seemed to be appreciated and got great results. If the person I was addressing could not speak English, he/she was usually able to locate someone nearby who did. Even so, I recommend learning as much French as you can before you go. It will give you a real feeling of accomplishment to be able to communicate a little.