Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Speaking of Spain, airfare is pretty good. FYI.

Speaking of Spain, airfare is pretty good. FYI.

Mar 28th, 2011, 11:30 AM
pdx
Original Poster

Speaking of Spain, airfare is pretty good. FYI.

I'm researching airfare to somewhere for a trip in June. Madrid from PDX is under $1000. Open jaw into MAD and out of Malaga for the same price.

Not our original plans for this summer but something to consider. Paris is a solid $1400.
Mar 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM

I just saw October airfare, Philadelphia to Barcelona for $720 and that includes taxes. I am suddenly researching Barcelona!
Mar 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM

I've been looking at MCO(Orlando)-BCN fares for the past month and jumped on $838 via EWR this AM. It was only on one site - the rest still had that airline/route for $854. Friends from Louisville were able to get theirs today, same site, for $806. (BeeTee hyphen store dot com)
We're going in November, and this is the 1st time I've bought tickets so far ahead. But everything I'm reading says fares are going way up the second half of the year, so I don't want to chance it.
I actually found cheaper fares on other airlines, ($815 on AA and in the high $700's on Brussels Air), but we're meeting up with several friends & my brother in EWR to fly over to BCN together.
A little more money, but a lot more fun!
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:04 PM
pdx
Original Poster

BCN has been about $100-$150 more expensive in my searches from the west coast. Which is okay because I'd rather go to Madrid this trip and am using this to sway my husband toward Madrid .
Thanks for the heads-up on possible rate hikes the second half of the year. I have a girls trip planned for February to NYC and want my friends to lock in fares at decent rates as soon as they show up.
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Hagan,

Where did you read that fares are going way up the second half of the year, please?

Thanks much!
Apr 2nd, 2011, 01:47 AM

thanks for the lead, PDX. What websites?
Apr 2nd, 2011, 09:39 AM
pdx
Original Poster

I like to start with matrix.itasoftware.com and use the month long calendar option to give the lowest fares for departure and return. Then i usually try and go with the particular airline if it's a single or partnered airline. Otherwise I move on to orbitz, et. al. I like hipmunk.com because it will sometimes bring up options that don't always show up on my orbitz searches.
Check out skyscanner.com especially if your route includes inter-europe short hops because it will give you budget airlines like ryanair, easyjet, etc.
In my searches Madrid has been $200-$300 less than Barcelona.
Apr 5th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the Matrix tip. More options at almost 50% less than Orbitz results. We are researching/planning trip for early Sept, and I like what I see on Matrix.
Apr 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM
pdx
Original Poster

My pleasure. It's really itasoftware, I just start at the matrix page.
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:51 AM

That's a good price? These airline prices are exorbitant IMO.

Search this Thread