Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Speak French? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/speak-french-85077/)

needhelp Aug 31st, 2000 03:41 PM

Speak French?

How do you say "I am on my honeymoon" in French?

Thyra Aug 31st, 2000 04:02 PM

I could be sarcastic and say, just roll your eyes and go oo la la... but honestly, we went to Paris on our honeymoon and everyone, even if they didn't speak fluent English, understood the word honeymoon. We got a lot of special treatment and nice rooms when I put honeymoon on our initial hotel inquiry letters.

Sheila Aug 31st, 2000 04:03 PM

It DOES translate as lune de miel but I don't know the usage. Sorry

Caitlin Aug 31st, 2000 05:09 PM

The usage is the same as in English, so it is lune de miel. So say, "Je suis en ma lune de miel." (Roughly, juh swee-zuhn mah lyoon duh mee-el, but swallow the y.)

SharonM Aug 31st, 2000 05:33 PM

Oui! Ein Bier? <BR>(Tal vez es Luna de miel?) No?

Caitlin Aug 31st, 2000 07:16 PM

Si, en espanol, es luna de miel.

Maurice Aug 31st, 2000 07:31 PM

I would talk to the Parisians in French, and they replied in English... Zut Alors!

Donna Aug 31st, 2000 08:19 PM

I, too, discovered everywhere that my rudimentary French was responded to in English. I'm wondering why you would wish to declare "I am on my honeymoon". Will you be traveling alone? "We are on our honeymoon" in French is "Nous sommes sur notre lune de miel." Although, I'm also curious as to why you'd feel the need to advise anyone.

SharonM Aug 31st, 2000 08:36 PM

oh, brother...

SharonM Aug 31st, 2000 08:37 PM

20 lashes, need-help!!!

SharonM Aug 31st, 2000 08:43 PM

(Sorry...I DO go on....) <BR> <BR>Donna, what a surprise that I last noticed you'd posted at the Pompous ASS thread (their words, not mine...) <BR> <BR>Besides, English...What other languages did you say you know? <BR> <BR>I'll shut up now... have a good night!

Florence Aug 31st, 2000 08:44 PM

Actually, there's a nuance: if you say "c'est notre lune de miel", it means you're in that blessed period just after marriage when everything's wonderful. Best then to say "nous sommes en voyage de noces", meaning you're travelling to celebrate your marriage. <BR> <BR>I wish you a very, very long "lune de miel" and a very pleasant "voyage de noce".

Ralph Aug 31st, 2000 09:44 PM

Yo, Sharon! So thankful you've shut up. Or so you say. What's the matter - nothing better to do? No guy for you? No one to cuddle and snuggle with? Everyone notices the threads you find appealing... Get a life! Once, I would presume, you lose a considerable amount of weight of one sort or another...(I KNOW I'm right about this!).

Myriam Aug 31st, 2000 10:12 PM

I you want to say it during your holiday, the correct translation is "Nous sommes en voyage de noces" (we are on our honeymoon). <BR>"Lune de miel" is the period (a number of weeks or months) right after the wedding when the newly weds have not yet come back to earth, but it has nothing to do with the wedding trip. <BR>

oo la la Aug 31st, 2000 11:12 PM

Merci Florence pour la traduccion. C'est vrai q'on ne dit pas "sur la lune de miel" . ...ca serait difficil d'achever. <BR>Bonne nuit.

Sheila Sep 1st, 2000 03:32 AM

I also understand that "Je pars pour nuit de noces" would be "I'm going on my honeymoon". <BR> <BR>

Florence Sep 1st, 2000 04:21 AM

"Je pars pour ma nuit de noces" means a very short trip to the bedroom ...

XX Sep 1st, 2000 04:38 AM

Ralph and Sharon M, personal insults are unwelcome here. Can you try to stop? Thanks.