Spanish Trains - Renfe/Rail Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man in Seat 61 says that Rail Europe's prices for train tickets are the same as Renfe's, along with a "small booking fee." I tried to book a ticket tonight on Renfe and it said that no tickets were available. I then tried on Rail Europe and tickets were available, but not any of the lower price tickets. Any suggestions? Should I purchase now from Rail Europe or wait for Renfe? If I buy from Rail Europe, and I buy four separate tickets at one time, is there one fee or four separate fees? Thanks much.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe board and tagged for Spain
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What date are you booking for? The tickets may not have gone on sale yet (RailEurope will just hold onto your money until they do).
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 08:27 PM

If Renfe isn't showing them the tickets don't exist. Renfe tends to take their time making tickets available but I think there is also some track work.

In general the only reason to book in advance is to get a discounted fare. Paying full price from a third party that tacks on a service fee doesn't make much sense. At least not if you're buying in advance.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 08:49 AM

I'm surprised if RE price is the same as Renfe but don't really know. Maybe they've changed, but in the past, their fees were higher (not just the service fee part), although it did vary by type of ticket, some were not marked up or not much.

In any case, RE can't make up tickets if Renfe isn't selling them, so I agree this isn't going to get you anywhere. And I have heard of cases where they sell tickets they don't really have, so then they will send you a notice saying it wasn't available, after they take your money. Yeah, I think you get your money back, but they aren't a railroad and can't sell tickets that don't exist.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 01:25 PM
twk

Originally Posted by dskimo1
Man in Seat 61 says that Rail Europe's prices for train tickets are the same as Renfe's, along with a "small booking fee." I tried to book a ticket tonight on Renfe and it said that no tickets were available. I then tried on Rail Europe and tickets were available, but not any of the lower price tickets. Any suggestions? Should I purchase now from Rail Europe or wait for Renfe? If I buy from Rail Europe, and I buy four separate tickets at one time, is there one fee or four separate fees? Thanks much.
I bought my Spanish rail tickets from Loco2 (that may now be Rail Europe) on the Man in Seat 61's recommendation in 2018. At that time, the Renfe web site was not easy to use, and people were having trouble using US credit cards on the Renfe site. If Renfe works for you, I wouldn't hesitate to buy direct, but there have been some obstacles that have driven folks to use other vendors in the past.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 01:29 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We recently booked discounted tickets on the Renfe site for March. Our dates just became available last weekend, so perhaps you're trying to book too far in advance?
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 01:52 PM

Loco2 is not RailEurope.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 01:58 PM

As Melnq8 says, you may be just trying to book for tickets that Renfe hasn't uploaded yet.
I just now purchased on Renfe tickets for March 13.

I'm registered with Renfe (that makes the process easier), and my US bank-issued MC card on file has Master Card SecureCode, which is necessary when purchasing on Renfe using a US based MC. If using a Visa card, your card must be one with Verified by Visa for the purchase to go through, or just use Pay Pal.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 02:00 PM

Loco2 rebranded to raileurope.co.uk in November.

https://raileurope.co.uk/en/blog/rebrand

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 29th, 2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Sorry, I didn't know about that recent change with Loco2. They were Loco2 just last year.
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks