Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spanish Steps to Campo de Fiore...how far to walk?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 03:56 PM
margo

Staying at De La ville Intercontinental,top of the Spanish Steps, next to the Hassler. Travel agent recommendation. However, I keep reading how wonderful the Piazza Navona area is. Now I am sorry I did not stay at the Raphael. Anyway, can you tell me how long a walk it is to these areas from my hotel? <BR> <BR>Piazza Navona <BR>Campo de Fiore <BR>Trastevere <BR>Palantine Hill/Forum <BR> <BR>thanks

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Paulo

Piazza Navona - approx. 1,300 meters <BR>Campo de' Fiori - approx. 1,700 meters <BR>Fori - approx. 1,600 meters (some 400 more to the Palatine) <BR>Piazza Sta. Maria in Trastevere - approx. 3,200 meters <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Paulo

Well, guess I have to give you a nice discount to Sta. Maria in Trastevere It's actually only about 1 km from Campo de' Fiori ... <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 06:01 PM
margo

Thanks Paulo,but I want to know how far is the walk in terms of minutes. I don't know how to translate meters into how long it will take to walk.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Mary

About 2.5 - 3 miles. Take taxi - for 5 dollars if you can't walk - but not very difficult walk and very beautiful. Get a lot of great architecture shots.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:52 PM
UFFA

Margo: <BR>VERGOGNA...make an effort, figure out how many meters to a mile; think approx. 20 min for a mile....MAMMA MIA...it's your vacation, make an effort.Ciao <BR>PS If you want to know what VERGOGNA means, look it up in an Italian-English dictionary which you should have bought for your trip !!!

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 08:32 PM
margo

Listen Uffa....you don't have to get uffy. Everyone on this site has been extremely helpful, regardless of the nature of the question, especially to 1st timers to Italy. Whats up with your attitude? How dare you tell me "to make an effort, it's my vacation"? You don't know a thing about me!!! Why don't you make an effort to be more polite! How RUDE...and if YOU don't know the meaning of THAT word go look it up in a English-Italian book of manners,which YOU should have bought for your life!!!

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Paulo

Margo, though you may walk from Piazza di Spagna to Piazza Navona in less than 20 minutes, it could well take hours <BR> <BR>You start off with via Condotti. My women (wife and daughters) were never able to stroll it to Via del Corso (only 300 meters) in less than ½ hour! There are just too many "goodies" on display in shop windows <BR> <BR>You made it to Via del Corso. Now, you'll have to decide if to cross it or to take it to your left. <BR> <BR>If you decide crossing it, you'll reach 16C Palazzo Borghese, with a fine courtyard with loggias, statues, fountains and rockeries. In front of the Palace there's an antique books and print market. Last time there I spent over an hour . You follow on to Via della Scrofa and take a left. After about 300 meters you take a right into Piazza S. Agostino. Among other, the church boasts Caravaggio's masterpiece Madonna of the Pilgrims. Very close is the S. Luigi dei Francesi church for some more Caravaggio (St. Matthews cicle) and finally into Piazza Navona. <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Paulo

If you had decided to follow Via del Corso, you'd soon hit Piazza Colonna and Palazzo Chigi, with Palazzo di Monticitorio next door. Continuing you'd hit the S. Ignazio church with its outstanding central celing fresco, the fine Sta. Maria Sopra Minerva church and Pantheon. This, not to mention that close bye Galleria Doria Pamphilj (greatly overlooked by nmost visitors) boasts a number of masterpieces, among which the Mary Magdalene, Flight into Egypt and John Baptist by Caravaggio, and the Portrait of Innocent X by Velazquez. <BR> <BR>From Piazza Navona to Campo de' Fiori it may take 5 minutes. <BR> <BR>From Campo de' Fiori to Sta. Maria in Trastevere you may walk in 15 minutes. But it took us once 4 hours, though. We explored Palazzo Farnese, the Ghetto, Marcelus Theatre, all of la Bocca della Verità, Isola Tibertina before reaching Trastevere where we arrived in the late afternoon, and stuck around for dinner. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Uffa

Margo: <BR>I know you don't know how to translate meters to how long it takes... <BR>I also know you have little sense of humor....Vergogna again

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Capo

Hi Margo. Yes, the area around Piazza Navona is wonderful...but so is the area around the Spanish Steps where you'll be staying. We stayed in that area for four nights a few months ago, thoroughly enjoyed it, and didn't mind walking to all those areas you mentioned. <BR> <BR>I like what Paulo said, that walking to Piazza Navona from your hotel could take 20 minutes...or hours.