Spanish Riding School morning exercise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at several exciting/recommened things to do on my visit to Vienna for 3 day and came across a suggestion to visit the morning exercise routine at the Spanish Riding School. I am won't be there on a weekend to be able to attend a show and therefore only have an option to see the white Lipizzan stallions morning exercise on a weekday..Has anyone experienced this??? Any suggestions on whether to go or not??
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:55 AM

If you like horses go for it, the training routine is interesting and fun to watch. If your not into horses and don't understanding training methods then forget it. Assume you know it takes years to train and develop these horses.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 08:00 AM

It has been a few years back but I was ONLY interested in the morning schooling. I am a horse person.

I would contact them to find out the schedule of days and hours. I was there about an hour (maybe more) ahead of opening time. I was first in line..before the openingtime the whole huge plaze was filled with the line! I knew exactly where I wanted to be to watch the schooling and headed for it. It was great.

Enjoy..

Joan
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 09:30 AM

It is very interesting to see how they work with their horses if you know a bit about dressage riding.

However, if you expect something like a circus show (like many visitors seem to) you will be disappointed.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Piya:

I don't agree that you have to be something of a "horse person" to enjoy the Lipizzaners. We visited the breeding farm in Lipica, Slovenia (it was all Yugoslavia then)...and three weeks later we were in Vienna and went to see the routines at the school (which IIRC is behind The Imperial Palace). We both found each visit to be fascinating. IMO you don't have to know anything about dressage or the training routines...just go and enjoy. You will.

I also saw the colorful movie about the horses (with Robert Taylor)many years ago...1960's (?). You might want to rent it before you go..I just looked up the name... "Miracle of the White Stallions"..primarily about the dramatic evacuation of the horses from Vienna during WW II.

stu t.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM

You can find information at

www.srs.at

The morning exercise is 2 hours generally .
No need to be there early or wait in line.
many attending are casual visitors - soon tire of the exercise and leave . You can arrive later ,buy your ticket and ealk in finding a good place generally.

You can stand in the area between the Riding School and the Stables just across the street and get a good close up view before entering the Riding School if you wish. Great photo opportunities.
Some do not enjoy the exercise as it may be repetitive - naturally this is training and exercise but still for me interesting .

These horses do not come from the Lipica but rather from a special stud farm in Austria with strict breeding.

If you wish , you can also take a tour of the stables - much of it recently renovated.
You may see the recent addition of female riders . Several were just employed and now undergoing a training perod. They are the first female riders in the long history of the Riding School.

Not far away alos in the Hofburg palace area is the Schatzkammer or royal Treasury. This has crowns, includung that of the Holy Roman Empire, many royal costumes and regalia . This often overlooked by tourists.

www.khm.at
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM

<i>These horses do not come from the Lipica but rather from a special stud farm in Austria with strict breeding.</i>

Molker....can you please cite where you got this information? I'd be interested, because in 1983 when we visited Lipica we were told that it WAS the breeding farm for the Lipizzaners...and no mention of any similar Austrian farm. Thank you.

stu
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM

You do not need to believe my statement , perhaps you will believe the official website of the Spanish Riding School.
www.srs.at

look under the subject Piber Stud farm.

This will confirm my statement as to where the horses are breed and thus where they come from in Austria.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Lipica was one of the earliest stud farms. In the 1920's, Piber became the main stud farm for the horses used in Vienna.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 01:13 PM

<i>You do not need to believe my statement , perhaps you will believe the official website of the Spanish Riding School.</i>

Herr Molker..have a nice cold beer and cool it! Nowhere did I write that I don't believe you. Of course I do. I merely asked for clarification. Is it at all possible that perhaps there are other breeding farms for the horses? Please read these pages and you will see that Lipica also supplies horses for the SRS.

Rather than to continue hi-jacking the OP, if you wish to carry on this conversation write me at [email protected]

http://www.iexplore.com/attractions/..._Lipica).jhtml

http://tiny.cc/jIAEC

stu tower (l.A., USA)
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Well, as for not having to know... I was surrounded by many ignorants who expressed their boredom and disappointment with what they got to see loudly, and thus ruined the concentration and enjoyment for those who knew and appreciated.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM

<i>I was surrounded by many ignorants </i>

Say what??

quokka... There are many people who enjoy quietly that which they don't fully understand. I'm going to the Hollywood Bowl tonight to hear Placidio Domingo and Yo-Yo Ma....I know little or nothing about opera, and have never been a classical music fan...should I stay home? Well, I won't...because I throughly enjoy being in the environs of the Bowl...and the lovely strains of music, any kind, whether I'm an aficionado or not. You don't have to be Italian to enjoy a good plate of pasta.

I will be sure to ask your permission the next time I plan to attend any type of horse show....speaking of which, I did attend one at Hacienda Los Lingues in Chile several years ago. The guastis were preparing for a competitive event. I didn't know one breed nor one manuever from another, but had a great experience simply watching (quietly, of course).
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 03:26 PM

We saw the horsies during our visit to the imperial and imoperious Vienna. My wife and I had a pool which horsie would poop first. The white one won!

I wanted to put two bucks on the horse withn the red thing on its head but could not find a betting window.

I am thoroughly confused by the debate regarding the stud farms. If the horsies were born in Yugoslavia or Asutria why is called the Spamnish Riding School. I have spent a great of deal of time in Spain and have family there, and I have never seen such the school but I have visited the universities in Salamanca and Madrid.

Too much clop trap in this conversation.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Beautifully said, Adu! Imperial and imperious? Simon would agree.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:16 AM

For those interested and to correct some misinformation.

The name of the riding school -
the breed was based on various breeds of horses some of those from Spain playing a major part including some other counties- thus the name Spanish Riding School.
It is the oldest such Riding school in the world - more than 400 years.
The hores come from the Piber Federal stud in Austria not elsewhere.
One simply needs to read the official website.

Lipica now in Slovenia was formerly a part ,along with many other places, of the Austro - Hungarian Empire.
The stud farm established there by the Austrian Royal Court.
At the end of World War 1 and the establishment of many new countries including those areas now known as Slovenia. Thus no longer in Austria,
the Stud farm and of course the horses were moved to Piber in current day Austria where they remain today to supply the horses to the Riding School.
No need for Lipica obviously.

The horses and the Riding School form a long standing tradition of this country and still receive support of the government.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To go back to the original question... I was disappointed (I know very little about dressage, although I rode regularly when I was a teenager). Partly this was because I was standing on already-hurting feet for over an hour before a seat became available, and partly because all that happened was a collection of horses practicing not very flamboyant paces. BTW, they weren't all white.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM

The younger horese are black or a dark brown - as they age the color in most all instances turns white.

s mentioned above the exercises and performances are not what may be found in a circus show but rather a series of indicate and demanding steps and actions.
This may not be to the liking of many that are not fans of horses.
but for many most interesting.
Thus the morning exercise can be the best for those attending- not costly and you can stay for 2 hours or much less depending on your interests.

For some just seeing the horses - easy to watch them cross from the stable to the school just across the one way street or even seeing some with their heads peering out of their stalls - easily seen through the large windows into the courtyard of the stable is enogh and without cost.
Just depends on the likes of each tourist.
As the Hofburg Palace tour is very near also the treasury, Library , Augustiner Church- this can be just another stop in this area in the morning.
Some good cafes nearby too.
residing in Vienna , I often walk by this area early in the day- always beautiful and interesting
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Some good cafes nearby too" - including my Vienna fave - the Griensteidl.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:58 PM

Griensteidl is now completely non smoking too.
Also good in my opinion, is the Braunerhof - very close to the Riding School at Stallburggasse 2 .