Beware of Sixt car rental

Old Oct 12th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware of Sixt car rental

I rented a car from Sixt car rental in Zagreb, Croatia for 12 days in September 2016. The car did not include a permit to drive into Slovenia, which is just 100 miles from Zagreb. When I drove into Slovenia, I got stopped by the police and was forced to pay a $200 fine. I think the Sixt rental people should have told me about the need for the Slovenian permit, and should have given me the option to buy one when I rented the car. When I told them about this afterwards, they said it was my fault that the car did not have the permit.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 08:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Did YOU tell them that was where you were planning to drive? They aren't mind readers. Many agencies prohibit taking their cars into various countries.

Unless there is more to the story -- I agree w/ Sixt. You telling them afterwards is sorta useless.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 08:20 PM

What exactly was the fine for? What was the reason given? Was the Sixt vehicle not equipped somehow to enter Slovenia, like did it lack a road-tax sticker like those required in Austria and Switzerland (called "vignette), to drive on their major highways? Or was there some other deficiency? Registration or licence plate? It seems curious to blame Sixt out of hand. Did you tell them, at the time of taking possession of the vehicle, that you intended to cross a border?
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 08:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"Beware" - inevitably my favorites, and this one's no exception.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 09:25 PM

I am surprised you did not research more about driving in that part of the world prior to renting the car. Different countries have different rules. Some car rental companies will not even permit their cars to be driven out of Croatia.

When we rented a car in Croatia made certain we had the cross-border card and paid extra for it. We told the rental company our driving plans before we rented the car to be certain we would have all the necessary permits.

Did you inform the car rental company you planned to leave the country and request all of the necessary permits in advance?
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 09:27 PM

It is very odd that you would register just to leave this post. Where else did you go and what else did you see? What were the highlights of your trip? Do you have restaurants and hotels you'd recommend?
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 10:15 PM

This topic should be named "Beware of entering Slovenian highway without a vignette" (or without prior research). Not Sixt's fault at all.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 10:44 PM

I think the Sixt rental people should have told me about the need for the Slovenian permit, and should have given me the option to buy one when I rented the car.

You are wrong. If you told them that you were planning on driving in other countries then they would have given you the car and applicable vignettes. It is not the rental company's job to make sure you know what you are doing and have all of your ducks in a row.

You learned an expensive lesson. Pay more attention in the future.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 10:44 PM

The SIXT Croatia site states this way under "Rental Information"

Cross Border Rentals are allowed to the following countries:
...Slovenia...

For entering above mentioned countries a Cross Border Fee applies (8.00 EUR/day, with a max. 3day charge of 24.00 EUR).

For car groups ... an additional branch permission is needed.

When one clicks "book" button, one is agreeing to the rental terms as stated. I don't see any basis for complaints on terms one has agreed to.

Here is another recent posting on SIXT where the poster failed to read the requirement stated in the terms and condition agreed at the time of booking

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rental-car.cfm

The SIXT states in T&C:
G: Accidents, theft, obligation to notify 1. After an accident, ... or other damage, the lessee or the driver must without undue delay notify and call in the police.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 06:56 AM

I suspect the OP made a decision to be sneaky and just not mention plans to cross the border, assuming they'd get away with it. Doesn't sound like the sort that would actually read terms & conditions. Well, surprise, and BEWARE being that sort of clever.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 06:59 AM

>

Sixt is right, you're wrong. Your post is a farce.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 07:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Sixt is right, you're wrong. Your post is a farce.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 07:43 AM

We don't need the OP to be entertained by them. And I suspect many stupid-rant-posters do look back on occasion to see who will congratulate them for their helpful warnings.

I'll be most gratified if someday I see a post titled "Beware - don't be stupid like I was".
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 11:55 AM

I have noticed that the OP is posting the same story on several websites.
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 06:18 PM

Well, as far as the OP is concerned taking the are out of the country without permission is technically theft of the car. So you could have been in much bigger trouble.

Who the hell told you that you could drive into any country you want without notifying the car rental company? They are not mind readers. It was up to you to ASK if you could take it out of the country and understand what you needed to do so legally.

Sorry - but if one is traveling by car one needs to understand the basic rules to do so. Stupidity is no excuse.