Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spain -weather in the summer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spain-weather-in-the-summer-348640/)

professors Aug 16th, 2003 03:51 PM

Spain -weather in the summer?

We are thinking of going to Spain next July or August, but are concerned about the heat. We are in our early 50s and not the sun bathing types -- more interested in museums, food etc. How hot are Madrid and Barcelona likely to get in the summer? Should we consider someplace else?

InvisibleTraveler Aug 16th, 2003 04:01 PM

Consider someplace else if you do not like heat. Air conditioning is not common and you will suffer. Madrid is like an airless canyon. Barcelona is more humid and tropical. We like late April and late September best.

Maribel Aug 16th, 2003 04:15 PM

professors,
Bcn, as I.T. has told you, is very humid, sultry. Madrid can be a 40 degree + oven.

Consider beautiful norfthern "Green Spain", particularly the Cantabrian coast. Think about the regions of Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria or Basque Country. All wonderful (but also crowded) July/Aug. destinations.

Intrepid Aug 17th, 2003 02:19 AM

I agree that it is hot and dry in Madrid in August...I've been there at midnight when it was still 98 degrees; and it will also be hot and much more humid in Barcelona.
I DISAGREE with the very generalized comment that "air conditioning is not common" which I did not find to be true. There are plenty of excellent air conditioned hotels (and yes, they have plenty of "character and charm" if you consider being comfortable at night like most other non cave-dwelling folks to be part of the "charm") and the major museums are well climate controlled out of art work preservation necessity. Stores and shops, especially the larger ones, are air conditioned. Even though it may be hot, especially in Madrid, there are plenty of cooler, shaded places to wander if you want to do so....lots of trees and parks, etc.
You do not say where you are living now and how hot it gets there. The heat in Spain isn't necessarily any more intense than the heat anywhere else...in fact, the dryness and lack of humidity in Madrid probably makes high temperatures more bearable than in a more humid climate.
Don't get the idea that the folks in Spain are any less interested in remaining comfortable in the Summer than you are and that if you do go you won't be able to cool off or stay cool. The intensity of the heat builds as the day progresses and many sights can be seen in the earlier hours.

LolaLasagne Aug 17th, 2003 02:38 AM

Just remember that the Spanish siesta makes perfect sense, especially in the summer. On hot days, find a spot indoors or in the shade and keep out of the sun until after 3.00pm.

sneeky Aug 17th, 2003 04:06 AM

Actually, not all museums & public places have AC. Few tourists spend their days in their air conditioned hotel room. The underground roasts & the sunny side of the street is hot & open top of the tour bus unbearable. Extreme sun and heat are the reasons why Madrid is all about the summer nightlife, not the day life.

crispin46556 Aug 18th, 2003 12:02 PM

Go to the northern part of Spain in the summer.

Madrid has weather about like Dallas, TX. Ever been there in the summer?

IgorVodov Aug 18th, 2003 12:07 PM

We went to Spain in July 2001 and had
no problems with the heat. Madrid was about 30 C and dry, Barcelona was more humid but still nothing compared to Philadelphia or other East Coast US cities.

jsmith Aug 18th, 2003 01:21 PM

professors and others,

A very useful site and worth saving is:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/reso...e/worldcli.htm

Use it to compare where you and where you contemplate going.

Clousie Aug 18th, 2003 04:58 PM

Maribel

What would you say the average temps in northern Spain are in July/August? Would you suggest one month over the other as far as rainy weather?

Maribel Aug 18th, 2003 05:22 PM

Clousie,
I'm really reluctant to say the average. Cova and cristina could tell you better than I.
This July in Navarra & the Basque Country it was far warmer than usual, as it was, of course, all over Europe!. In Pamplona and Hondarribia it was unusually warm. June is always cooler than July/Aug. This year we had virtually no rain (well, it did hail one afternoon-see, never say never!). I prefer early July to Aug. because in S.S. the high season prices kick in July 15 (and Jazz festival late July), plus the crowds, and Aug. is really packed and very hard to find accomodations at the last minute due to Semana Grande, Quincena Musical and usual summer migration to the beaches in Aug. Go as early as possible!

Intrepid Aug 19th, 2003 12:43 AM

Sneeky, I think you've definitely forgotten how to come into the shade and the sun must have gotten to you. Professors, consider staying someplace else only if you are willing to MISS seeing some of the best that Spain has to offer by avoiding Madrid and Barcelona. And my comments about museums being "climate controlled" was not meant to be construed as frigid air conditioning.