Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spain trip:Castilla y Leon or Andulucia?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spain-trip-castilla-y-leon-or-andulucia-1071542/)

David_DiStefano Sep 11th, 2015 09:03 AM

Spain trip:Castilla y Leon or Andulucia??

Hi/Hola, I have 8 nights to vacation in Spain in late March/early April. I do not mind cool weather. I am doing my best to avoid tourist hoardes. I am looking for opinions on what people prefer. I was thinking of doing a Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca trip? or possibly a Grenada, Sevilla trip? Or a medieval Aragon small town trip? Please can I have opinions on what forum members think is the best itinerary. I love good food (pork! Is my favorite), good drink and stunning Architecture. Thanks/Gracias

Aramis Sep 11th, 2015 10:14 AM

Good food = anywhere in Spain

Good drink = anywhere in Germany (Beer props!)

Stunning architecture = Andalucía hands down of your options.

Alhamabra (Granada) and La Mezquita (Cordoba)are two of the most stunning examples of architecture and art ever created. Seville, is unified gem in it's own right.

Given your options, and the time of year, I think Andalucía would provide you with the most pleasure. The food is consistently superb everywhere and Andalucía would give you the most reliable weather in March/April. You may be fine with "cool" but are you okay with blustery and possibly wet snow?

I would spend 4 nights in Seville (daytrip to Ronda, see Cordoba on the way to/from Granada), 2 in Granada, and 2 in Madrid,(presuming this would be your access point to Spain?)where you can day trip to Toledo or Segovia, if you wish.

Bedar Sep 11th, 2015 12:36 PM

This would be the perfect time to visit Andalucia, but remember that Easter falls on March 27 in 2016. The week before is Semana Santa with its crowds.

David_DiStefano Sep 11th, 2015 01:18 PM

So to avoid crowds the first Sunday in April is a good time to arrive?

Bedar Sep 11th, 2015 01:32 PM

Yes, I should think so. Less people and cheaper.

David_DiStefano Sep 11th, 2015 02:24 PM

Thank you

kja Sep 11th, 2015 06:03 PM

FWIW, I think 8 days just a bit less than ideal for Andalusia and nearly perfect for Salamanca, Toledo, and Segovia (assuming you are planning to skip Madrid on this trip). But it all depends on what YOU want to see and experience. They are all wonderful. :-)

ribeirasacra Sep 11th, 2015 11:02 PM

with only 8 days in Spain I would go with the above suggestion.
Less travelling see more.

emily71 Sep 12th, 2015 12:23 PM

I'd go with Sevilla and Granada and while I'd normally tell people to avoid the tourist hoards. I loved being in Seville for the start of Semana Santa-I left on Monday. Seeing the processions and the balconies decorated with palms, standing in line to see the icons in the churches before the parades and seeing a procession with the robed figures and particular music was worth the extra money I paid in hotel fees.

It's a once in a lifetime experience and very Spanish.