Search

Spain trip and travel jitters

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain trip and travel jitters

Hey all
Well the mother and I leave this upcoming Sat for a 2 week getaway to Spain. Besides some left over planning, I guess I'm just feeling anxious and jittery but for the most part as I tend to be before most trips. As 2 women traveling together on our own, besides petty theft and pickpocketing, are there really other issues for us to be aware of as far as travel goes? We are well traveled and possess travel common sense.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:06 PM

The wine and food are fabulous. You will have a great time. I am a big believer in money belts. We have had encounters with pick picketers on three occasions (only one time in Spain) but we were aware and all was OK. Taxis in Madrid and Barcelona are readily available and affordable. Have fun.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:11 PM

I too endorse using money belts. I am also a big believer in taking costume jewelry and leaving the good stuff at home; keeping your purse in your lap or in sight and not on the back of a chair or on the floor while eating out; and knowing where your camera or phone are.

common sense goes a long way and as seasoned travelers im sure you have that..

relax and enjoy yourself
have a good and safe trip
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:54 PM

Using money belts makes you stand out like a tourist.
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:09 AM

ribeirasacra wrote: "Using money belts makes you stand out like a tourist."

How? A money belt is hidden under your clothes. Why should it make you stand out? No one is supposed to see it. You certainly don't access it in public. Possibly in a locked toilet stall, but never where you can be seen.

You keep most of your money and cards in it. Then you have a small handbag with the day's walking-around money, maps, water-bottle etc. I also put my coins in a pocket, so I can get them out without having to open my handbag.

If someone picks my pocket they don't get much. If they steal my handbag it could get irritating (especially if it's morning and I still have most of the day's money in it), but it's not a complete catastrophe.

Now, someone who uses ONLY a moneybelt and treats it like a handbag (taking money out of it in public) could get into trouble. I have seen a few people do that. But that defeats the entire purpose for using it.
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:04 AM

So money belts do not show through your lightweight summer clothes? Would not wearing something that is not loose around your body, make you all sweaty in the heat of the day?

We in Spain do not live in fear of getting robbed. We all carry around purse/wallets/handbags or whatever.
Hiding in a dirty toilet to take out money from something clasped to your body is just so sad.
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:36 AM

ribeirasacra: You may have a point about possible visibility through clothes. But there are monebelts made in materials that don't get too sweaty.

As a tourist I carry around more money than I do at home. If there is no safe in the hotel I will have to carry my passport and debit cards, too. If someone took all of it I would have a lot of problems. I don't want to waste my vacation time in a police station or at a consulate.

It's not a distrust of Spanish people, either. I used a moneybelt in Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, London, Ireland and Scotland and lots of other places, too. It makes me feel safer. Maybe it's a false safety, but it's the way I feel.

And yes, I know pickpockets exist everywhere. The police put up signs in my small hometown in December to warn people doing Christmas shopping to be careful. But if I got robbed in my hometown I could walk home or to my parents. I can't do that when I'm on vacation in another country. It's also a lot easier to talk to the police if I speak the same language.
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:31 AM

My family lives 1000s of km away too. So I cannot just ask them to pick me up either.
Hotel safes are notoriously unsafe.
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:42 PM

Went to Spain 3yrs ago with my then 10yo daughter. We had a great time-the people are warm, friendly and helpful. We never felt in any way threatened. I second Maxima's advice. I carried a money belt when I took out a significant amount of money from the ATM, and we maintained an awareness of our surroundings. Have a fantastic trip-we have such fond memories!