Spain travel and accomadation

Feb 16th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Spain travel and accomadation

Travel and accomodation to Spain

Hi,
We are 4 Aussies (around 50) travelling to Spain in August this year. Been overseas many times but not Spain. We plan to spend 10 days in Spain flying into Madrid on the 16th August. From what I have been reading on this wonderful forum we have chosen places to visit.

1. Madrid
2. Toledo
3. Cordoba
4. Seville
5. Ronda
6. Granada
7. Valencia
8. Barcelona

Then we are training it into France to continue the next part of our journey/

We wish to use the train system in Spain and don't mind using a nights accomodation on a train.

If possible can the above be feasibly done, and how many days in each place would be advisable? We are very young at heart and fit.
Is there some of the above that can be cut out because it is too much. OK, we vistied England a few years back and overdid it on the castles and cathedrals (1 blended into another). We would like the best "Taste" of each place. We also want to stay in budget accomodation (hostels/pensions) that have double room accomodation. I have looked up many from reviews but are 6 bed dorms. We are married couples so would prefer double bed dorms. (Don't want much hey??!!!).

In anticiplation - thank you so much for your time. This is a wonderful place to plan a trip. If you want into about Australia/Queensland I can help.

Feb 16th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Maybe it can be done- but 8 cities in 10 days? Spain is a large European country - yes it could fit into NSW with space left over but it is still very large. I would not even attempt it - same age group, same nationality if that is relevant. Not sure overnight trains exist in Spain - am not aware of any. I think you should cut this itinerary down significantly - maybe just do Madrid and Barcelona - or Madrid and Seville - there is a fast train between the 2 - and do a dy trip or 2 from Seville. Otherwise it will be a blur.
Feb 18th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Hello Boothy:

Yes I agree with the other post...that's alot of running around. I have not heard of doing this much except on organized tours because of all the coordinating & checking in & out. You might consider that option of your priority is seeing many different cities for a "taste" as you mentioned. One of the pleasures of Spain is experiencing the people & culture, which you may not really get to do with so many cities. Remember the Spaniard stays up very late too so if you want to dine when the locals do you may be too pooped to do so with that itinerary. Logistically, Barcelona & Valencia can be separated out (or not) Also I suspect you know that Spain is hot hot in the south in august? Not unbearable if you live in warm climate, but pretty hot in Sevilla in August although it is a beautiful place anytime. All the places you mentioned are terrific and you will have a great time. The Ave (train) from Madrid to Seville is great, especially 1st class. I recommend it. How are you getting around? Are you driving to France too? Thats alot of travel in a short time...

Feb 18th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Hi Boothy,

Sorry, but I will join the chorus of people saying that doing 8 cities in 10 days is.... crazy! LOL! Well, at least in IMO.

You don't tell us if you were planning day trips into some of these or were planning to stay overnight everywhere?

I suggest the following:

Fly into Madrid, stay 3 nights. While there do a day trip to Toledo. Take Ave to Sevilla. You could stop in Cordoba on the way or do it another day as a daytrip from Sevilla. Stay in Sevilla 2-3 nights, depending how you do Cordoba.
Take train/ bus to Granada and stay for 1 night. Fly to Barcelona and stay the ramaining days (3-4). There are day trips you can do out of Barcelona to Girona, Montserrat, etc.

Feb 18th, 2007, 07:37 AM

I agree with others, that that is a lot of travel around. I'm not sure how much of each city you will actually be able to see since you will be on the train or airplane most of the time.

For budget accommodation I recommend, in Madrid: Hostal Acapulco, it is affordable, near the Puerta del Sol and quiet. The people who run it are wonderful. There was a mini-fridge (they called it a minibar)in my room and they have free internet.

In Toledo: Hotel Santa Isabel. Again, affordable, clean, quiet and the people there are very helpful.

You can google both places to get more info.
Feb 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Way too much for the time you have. The last time we did a road trip in Spain we did similar - but without anything north of Madrid - in 3 weeks - and still felt rushed.

Also - for 4 people I would do car versus train. Much more convenient, easier to see the smaller towns (that have limited trains) and doubt it will cost any more.