Spain Transportion To-From Airports

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Having just been to NY and found out that a shuttle from JFK to the hotel is only a few dollars less than a taxi for two people (34 vs 39), could some of the experienced let us know about comparative prices as well as pros and cons re various transportation modes for the following and return:

Madrid airport to Sol area hotels.
Granada airport to Cathedral area hotels.
Barcelona arport to Placa de Catalunya area hotels.

Thanks
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granada to Cathedral area - 20-25 euro.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:47 AM

For Madrid airport to Sol, I recommend Aerocity shuttles (www.aerocity.com). I don't remember how their rates compare to a taxi. The budget approach would be the Metro. There's a station @ the airport and one @ el sol.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Let's omit subways.

Let's keep this between a shuttle and taxi.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:57 AM

Just got back. Taxis between the airport (Barajas) and Madrid near the Plaza Mayor (not that far from the Puerta del Sol) cost me 13 euros each way, although I think that was before the 4 euro airport surcharge, so make that 17. On the way out, the driver tried to charge me extra for the bags, not allowed. On the way back, the driver didn't try to pull that one, so he got a larger tip.

I don't know about the shuttle - never tried it.

- Larry
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:05 AM

All three are very easy and definately a lot cheaper than taxi.

In Barcelona, you take the aeroshuttle just outside the baggage claim direct to Plaza Catalunya for approx. 5 euros (they have space for luggage). (save approx. 25 euros). Once in Plaza, your in center of city and can cab it anywhere.

In Madrid, take aero shuttle to Plaza Colon for only 3 euros, then take a taxi to final destination in Sol area. It's super easy and you'll save approx. 20 euros when all is said and done.

In Granada, again there is a bus that's very cheap. When you exit baggage claim, walk to right and its on the end. The only problem is I had no luggage so was able to zip onto the bus, but the bus does not depart according to "schedules". Rather, it leaves after planes arrive and allows for everyone to pick up bags. Therefore, I waited more than 45 minutes before we finally left the airport.

I must say that travel can sometimes be the most difficult part of any trip, but transportation in Spain was surprisingly simple whenever I used it. Good luck!
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:47 PM
car

Myer,
From Madrid Airport:
There are several transportation options
Taxi: about 18/20 € to the center Colon or Sol area. To justretired, they are allowed to a small charge for luggage some 20/30 cents per unit.Some apply it and others don't bother.
Bus:Near the taxi stop there is a bus service into town every 10 minutes for 3 € per person, goes directly into Colon with a first Stop in Av america.
This is a good combination but it does not save 20€ as tskobo says, and less if it is more than one travelling.
Aeroshuttle service such as aerocity:
They will carry you in a small van 6/8 seats eventualy with other customers the service is good and you pay 17.00€ for one to three and 20.00€ for 4. It is a fix cost but sometimes you have to wait for a little while to pick up someone else or drop in a different hotel.
Then metro for 1.10€ per person every 10 minutes. This is a good option specialy if you are going for direct train connection.
In Barcelona:
Taxi: about 25€ to the center.
Shuttle: I don't think there is an organized shuttle for small groups.
Bus: Every 10 minutes to the center about 3€
Train: Every 15 minutes to Barcelona Sants.
Granada:
Taxi about 25/30€ to center
Bus: only 4 or 5 per day.
i don't know other alternatives from Granada airport.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 07:24 AM

We've used aerocity numerous times after reserving on their website and have no complaints. Plenty of space for luggage & no extra fees. There is no fee hassle as happens at times when using the airport taxicabs.
There is a booth run by aerocity outside the int'l arrivals area of the Madrid airport.
I don't recommend the metro if you have any luggage.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 10:52 AM

I just came back from Spain.

Granada: Taxi--Due to luggage, time restraints, took a cab. Ended up about 20 euros (in lots of traffic) Took about 40 minutes
Madrid: Taxi--Airport to Atocha station was about 21 Euros. On previous trip, took the very cheap fast easy bus that left us in center of town. This time, I needed to go elsewhere and didn't want to bother getting off the bus and then getting a taxi...
Barcelonaus-- Took 15-20 minutes going, 30 minutes on the return (buses leave every 15 minutes, and in both cases, one came by just as we arrived)
Aerobus was very easy--costs 3.70 euro per person and there are several stops before and after Placa Catalunya . I used one of the other stops, and walked about 4 blocks to hotel. On my return I took a cab (about 5 E) to Placa Cataluna to pick up the Aereobus and the driver told us the fare to the airport itself would probably be about 16-17. The Hotel concierge estimated 25-30. Depends on traffic, etc.

Keep in mind that in every city we went to , there were additional taxi surcharges for 'luggage" (sometimes pretty small pieces) plus a surcharge to OR From any station (train, bus or airport) We saw the documention in the cabs that verified these charges as legitimate.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:24 AM
CFW

Car or anyone else: There are two of us. Is the 17 euro fee on aeroshuttle from Barajas per person?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Myer and CFW,
The Aerocity shuttle service costs 17 euros for 1-3 passengers, total cost. For transporting 4 passengers, the total cost is 20, for 5 passengers, the total cost is 34, for 6 it's 36, for a group of 7, 38 euros total.
Now that they have their booth downstairs in the International Arrivals Terminal, you don't need to reserve in advance, but you can anyway at www.aerocity.com
It's a very dependable service. They guarantee no more than 3 stops on route from airport to hotel. Sometimes you can get lucky and have the van to yourselves.

While in Barcelona and other cities there is still a mandatory supplemental charge for each piece of luggage carried in the trunk (plus train/bus station trip supplements), which is clearly marked on a tariff sheet displayed inside each taxi, in Madrid the luggage surcharge was eliminated in '02.
In Barcelona there is still a charge of ,85 euros for each suitcase carried in the trunk.

You can see a copy of the Madrid taxi tariff sheet at
http://www.multimadrid.com/grfx/tran...town_front.gif
There is no extra charge for luggage, and taxi driver should NOT attempt to charge you.
However, there is a mandatory 4 euro charge for any run to or from Barajas airport. There is also a 2 euro supplement for any taxi run ORIGINATING (not terminating) at any Madrid train or bus station. A common ploy among unscrupulous drivers at Madrid's Atocha train station is to try to charge the unsuspecting tourist a 4 euro supplement instead of the official 2 euro charge. Just please be aware.

For Barcelona, I've taken taxis, train and the Aerobus. The train is the slowest method, and there's quite a long walk from the terminal to the train station. My taxi fares to the Placa de Catalunya have averaged 20 euros with the additional ,85 euro supplement per bag. But I really prefer the very easy and very inexpensive Aerobus. My last trip from the airport to the P de C took only 25 min. Sometimes in summer the line for taxis at the BCN airport can be extremely long, particularly if several transatlantic flights arrive at the same time. I highly recommend the Aerobus service. For the H10 Granvina Hotel, one can get off at the Universitat stop, 1 before the P de C. and walk to the hotel if light of luggage.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Myer,
Just checked the official Madrid city gov't page: www.munimadrid.es
The taxi surcharges have gone up a teeny bit for '04:

Here are the '04 supplements:

5 euros for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day

4,20 euros TO or FROM Barajas airport

2,20 euros FROM all train/bus stations except the airport-Colon bus station at Plaza Colon.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Does anyone know if Madrid cab can fit four adults and their luggage? It is not even a question about money when you are 4 (Aerocity vs taxi), it's about convenience vs. possbile discomfort!!
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:03 PM

Dear Maribel,
we are going to stay in the Balmes hotel in Barcelona in February and are going to use Aerobus from and to airport. Please advise me which bus stop is the nearest to this hotel? I'd appreciate your response.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:47 PM

jparis,
It's a tight fit particularly if you're carting lots of luggage, as trunks are small. But many Madrid taxis have roof luggage racks, and drivers often try to load the extra luggage on top. Just make sure the driver secures the luggage very, very tightly, obviously! Or just take 2 taxis to be more comfortable. An average fare from Barajas to the Sol area should not exceed 20 euros. My cheapest taxi fare has been 13 euros (9 plus the 4 euro surcharge) at 6:20 a.m. from the Comfort Galgos Hotel in the Salamanca district, right off the direct airport route. The trip took exactly 9 minutes with my speed demon driver! The handy airport to city transportation brochure distributed by the Madrid tourist stands at the airport estimate the taxi fare to run from 17-20 euros.

Arikson,
The closest Aerobus stop coming in from the airport would be Universitat, one stop before the end of the line at Placa de Catalunya. From Universitat the Balmes is 5 blocks north.
Going from the Balmes back out to the airport, the closest stop would be Passeig de Gracia, the next stop from the point of origen at P de C. The Passeig de Gracia stop is 5 1/2 blocks southeast of the Balmes.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM
CFW

Maribel, It doesn't seem like there is much difference price-wise between the shuttle & a taxi from Barajas to Madrid hotels. Which do you recommend? We're staying at the Emperatriz. Is it worthwhile to save money by taking the regular airport bus to Colon & then taxi to the Emperatriz? Thanks, Carole
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Maribel, thanks a lot. We will stick to your advice:aerobus to & from Placa Catalunia + taxi to and from hotel. We are leaving on February 18 to Barcelona, Seville, and Madrid. Thanks again. You are so kind and so helpful.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:26 AM

We usually transfer to our hotel by taxi, particularly if we're very tired. Speaking Spanish and knowing the city well, also knowing the rate structure keeps the taxi driver from overcharging. When alone, I give the driver the exact address plus the cross streets. Since the driver understands that I know the city well, he never takes me on the "circuitous" route to my destination to pad his fare.
As you say, for 1-2 people there's just not that much difference in price, but some first time visitors are wary of being overcharged, thus they feel safer, more comfortable with the shuttle and don't mind the extra time spent with hotel drop offs.
The taxi fare from Barajas to the Emperatriz, much closer to the airport than Sol hotels, shouldn't be one euro more than 17 including 4,20 surcharge, probably less, depending on the time of day.

Your real euro saving alternative, as you say, would be to take the super cheap (2.50 euros) blue "aeropuerto-Plaza Colon" bus that departs right outside the International Arrivals Terminal 1, downstairs every 10 min. with racks inside for luggage. Get off at the final stop on Plaza Colon-trip will take 20 min. in normal mid-morning traffic- and grab a taxi to speed you up those few Castellana Blvd. blocks to the Emperatriz, probably a 5 euro fare (and remember there's no surcharge for luggage or bus station supplement in a taxi departing from Plaza Colon).

When I arrive in Madrid with only a carry-on roller bag, I take the airport-Colon bus. I can get off at the stop on Maria de Molina and walk to the Hotel Confort Galgos, the Serrano stop and walk to the NH Lagasca and the Plaza Colon final stop and walk to the Hotel Galiano or taxi to the Emperatriz, the 4 hotels I customarily use in the Salamanca district depending on budget or business/family needs.

Hope this explanations helps you to decide.

And Arikson,
I'm glad I can help you in any small way.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:10 PM
CFW

Thanks, Maribel. You're great! Now I just have to work on my Spanish....and convince my husband to take the bus so we can spend the savings on a marvelous dinner.
Carole
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:44 PM
M_J

We would like more info about the aeroshuttle bus at Barcelona airport.
Tskobo said it was just outside baggage claim. Is the name "Aeroshuttle"?
Is it a booth?
Any ATMs located nearby?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -