We have decided to change our vacation destination from Portugal to Spain for our summer, 2015 family vacation. Although Portugal looks nice and interesting, Spain has more to offer, in our opinion.
We were able to book our excellent return flights to and from Madrid at incredible prices so we are now turning our attention to our itinerary.
We will be travelling for 17 full days (not including travel to and from home) and we are a family of four (myself and my husband and our two boys, ages 15 and 17) and all enjoy a balanced approach to European travel, including museums, cuisine, walking and discovering, a few days relaxing at a nice beach, nighttime walks and just simply enjoying being wherever we are.
We are considering using rail passes throughout this vacation (we have always rented a car in our prior trips to Europe). The travel time between all of the destinations below are all between 1.5 and 3 hours and we have come up with this initial itinerary:
Day 1 through 3: Madrid (arrive early morning)
Day 4 through 7: Seville
Day 8 through 14: Valencia (including beach time and exploring surrounding area)
Day 15 through 17: Madrid
Totals (not including travel time):
Madrid, 5.5 days
Seville, 3.5 days
Valencia and surrounding area: 6.5 full days
We were initially thinking about travelling south from Seville to the Costa del Sol for some beach time but found Valencia to be very interesting and also has some very nice beaches as well as some very interesting medieval towns nearby.
As well, would it be a good idea to take a day off Madrid and two off Valencia and take a few days to travel to Ibiza or Majorca for our beach time?
Please let us know if this works and if you can offer any other suggestions, we would really appreciate your advice.
Thank you very much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Arezzo - how much time?
- 2 Easter Week in Italy
- 3 8 day flexi Swiss pass
- 4 hotel reservations in Switzerland in June?
- 5 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 6 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 7 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 8 Which Aran Island??
- 9 New Years in France
- 10 Paris November 2017
- 11 Spain or Portugal
- 12 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 13 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 14 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 15 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 16 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 17 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 18 9 day trip to France
- 19 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 20 2 week May trip with kids
- 21 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 22 15 days honeymoon trip to Europe in February end and March
- 23 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 24 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 25 Airport Transfer