Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SPAIN - Rock Climbing and camper van rental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 32 year old son and his girlfriend are both rock climbers and we want to travel to Spain together. I thought it would be fun to rent a camper van that they could take to some Rock climbing sites for a week or two while I plant my self in Barcelona in an Air BnB. We'd like to go the second part of May and stay in Spain for 2-4 weeks (would only need the camper van for 1-2 weeks. Does anyone have a suggestion about good Rock Climbing sites and/or camper van rentals?
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 11:25 PM

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/

This site should give them some information.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 01:17 AM

Wild Camping is generally illegal in Spain, with fines of upto to €5000, so they would probably not be able to legally sleep in the camper van at the climb site.
Should they decide to risk it they need a camper van which is completely self supporting for a few days. Most loos need emptying after three days and water soon gets used and stale and needs replacing. They will also need ot empty the grey tanks, so will need a campsite with facilties for that. They should not use any open fire/barbecue outside the camper van.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 02:11 AM

Oh and if they really want to risk wild camping and be off grid they'll need solar panels too, household batteries may not last many days without a charge, though in May the days will be long that lights won't be needed.
Having had a quick look at a coule of rental sites it won't be cheap. Just do a search for campervan rentals in Spain, and see if anything meets their needs and price range.
I have my own campervan so no need to rent so I can't recommend one company over another.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 04:41 AM

Me again! Instead of AirBnB have a look at https://fairbnb.coop/ for your Barcelona stay.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 08:57 AM

We lived in Andalucia for a while and saw plenty of rock climbers around El Torcal near Antequera. Also saw quite a few when walking El Caminito Del Rey. Some photos on our blog @
https://accidentalnomads.com/2017/05...del-rey-spain/

I don’t have a head for heights so have no idea how good or bad the climbing may be.

RE Campervans. We have used campervans a lot in New Zealand and love them as a means of seeing more of the country and getting to remote places but NZ is very geared up for campervan travel but I am not sure Spain is. We did see a lot of campervans out and about on the roads but weren’t looking out for dump stations & places to refill water, plug into power etc. There will be campsites around but I don’t think they will be as widespread as say France. Once you add in the cost of rental and campsite fees it will become pretty expensive.

One option to consider would be to rent a car and do one of the pre determined Paradore Routes through one of the many mountainous areas. I recently got an email from a paradore company we used a few times and they were offering room only deals @ €67 per night. It is worth also looking at there dinner B&B rates which are outstanding value given the quality of food and the stunning locations/buildings ( we stayed in some beautiful castles, monasteries, hunting lodges .
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 09:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
According to someone whose climbing accomplishment was the winner of an Oscar,

Espiel, mostly 5.10 a's, and Albarracin for bouldering, mostly Fb5 to Fb7.

Espiel is just north of Cordoba, Albarracin is near Teruel.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 07:37 PM

There are campsites in Spain. I just did a quick google search and found this website: https://www.eurocampings.co.uk. I am sure there are others, as well.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 08:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP hasn't been back -- maybe the son/girlfriend don't think its such a peachy keen idea
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 11:49 PM

I said there are campsites, more than are listed on that otherwises excellent website 9which I use a lot as I have their discount card) but depending on when and where they want to rock climb those sites may not be convenient, and will be expensive. Wild camping is generally not allowed, so they woud have to pack up the camper and drive to and from the campsite every day which would be a pain, and you may lose the nice pitch you found if it isn't an assigned pitch. Not everyone observes the table and chairs left out to save a pitch for a day out in my experience.
Anyway as janis says they haven't been back so who know what they will be doing.