Spain Question on Travel to Extremadura

Sep 3rd, 2005, 04:21 PM
MMM
Original Poster

Spain Question on Travel to Extremadura

I have 3 free days while in Spain this Fall and am planning to visit Extremadura for the first time. I know that based on all my research this region is much more suitable to a car rental that to public transportation, but I am trying to avoid a car rental if possible. Based on that, my question is, has anyone gone to Caceres from Madrid via public transportation (bus seems to be quicker than the train), and if so, does Caceres station have any cabs available since I believe the stations are quite far from the town's hitoric center?

Thanks.
Sep 4th, 2005, 09:51 AM

We've only driven to Cáceres, but since it is one of Spain's major cities, you shouldn't have any problems with finding a taxi when you arrive. They know the train schedules.
Sep 4th, 2005, 10:44 AM

We took night train a few years ago from Ciudad Real (on the AVE route, I believe) to Merida. We took a sleeper for a reasonable amount. Check out RENFE schedules.
Sep 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM

In May of 2002 we took the bus from Seville to Caceres, arriving in the early afternoon. There was a line of taxis waiting at the station. The next morning we returned to the bus station to go on to Madrid. It seems very busy then also.

Have a good trip!
Sep 4th, 2005, 07:32 PM
MMM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:12 PM

I took the train from Madrid to Cacares (bus is a better option) and it was no problem getting a cab into town from the station. The bus and train stations are within easy walking distance from each other so if you need to check schedules it's a good idea to do so when you arrive. I've traveled quite a bit throughout spain using public transportation and relying on cabs to get me into the city centers once I arrive by bus or train. The only place where this was an issue was Trujillo - apparently they only had 2 cabs and one was broken down when I visited. I had to call my hotel from the bus station and they contacted the taxi driver for me.