Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Spain/Portugal 16 days---advise needed
Notices

Spain/Portugal 16 days---advise needed

May 6th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Spain/Portugal 16 days---advise needed

Planning 16 day trip starting in Madrid. Will have car and looking to head over to Portugal, up through Galicia, over to Asturias and back to Madrid. Have been to Madrid many times, once to Asturias. Any help with itinerary welcome. Travelling with husband and 13 and 17 year old teenagers. Hiking moutains and fishing are particular interests.
May 6th, 2013, 09:18 AM

Parts of my trip report might be of interest for you; click on my name to find it.
May 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM

It's a long drive, but you'll be able to cover it all in 16 days. It's an interesting road trip that can be done staying in the Paradors of Spain and Pousadas of Portugal. We've covered the same route, but have broken the drive up into several different trips of 2 to 3 weeks each.

I'd start with spending my first night at the newly renovated Parador de Cáceres or at the Parador de Mérida. If you where to follow a route that included Arraiolos in the Alentejo, Lisbon, Porto, Guimarāes, Braga, Santiago de Compostela, Lugo, Oviedo, Gijón, Llanes, Santander, Bilbao, Vitoria-Gastiz and Burgos, you could drop the car off in Valladolid (about 2200 km) and take the train back to Madrid. You could also drive down to Segovia and take the train from there.

I don't recommend taking on the Madrid traffic after 16 days on the road unless you are planning on returning the car to the airport and not spending the last night in Madrid.

Search this Thread