Search

spain or scotland or lisbon

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spain or scotland or lisbon

Hi
this is the first time i am posting a message as i just joined. this year i am trying to plan a trip to europe for summer but wow those airline tickets are outrageous. the only time i can go is in july /august as i have a 14 year and 19 year old daughter. we did spain last year barcelona, valencia and madrid but i was thinking of lisbon and the south of spain this year. what is the best route to plan from ny to see andalusia, seville, cordoba, lisbon in one 6 day trip any ideas for a family of 4. then i was thinking to leave our spain completely and do jfk/dublin or scotland/and lisbon
i just like to add more cities each year, any hotel near a beach keeps my family very happy - i can walk all day to see everything but my husband and kids can stay by the beach all day. i told them i didnt tavel so far for the beach alone..
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM

You should go to drop down menu at left side of page and select Europe instead of United States and re-post your message.

Dublin and Scotland aren't big for beaches, but are lovely nevertheless.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:45 AM

Agree that you need to repost on the europe board.

But - you can;t really go to either Ireland or Scotland for the beach - unless you plan on bringing wet suits - it's just way too cold.

And 6 days is barely enough for a quick glance at Andalusia - never mind adding Portugal too. And again - you could spend a day at the Costa del Sol - but the cities you want to see aren't on the coast.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:05 AM

This post has been moved to the Europe forum.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
if your 6 days includes travel time - that is not long enough for more than one city. If the 6 days in in addition to your travel to/from Europe you'd have time for maybe 2 small cities and a day touring inbetween.

Remember - day 1 will be mainly jet lag recovery.

It will be VERY hot in Spain in July/August - but the beaches are great

It will not be as hot (could be anything from cool to hot-ish) in the UK. There are very nice beach resorts in the S and SW of England where the weather is pretty mild year round.

One does not go to Scotland or Ireland for beaches/swimming. There are tremendous beaches - some of the prettiest in all of Europe - but they are more for looking at, not sunning/swimming.
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

thank you all of you for your input
it would certainly help me sorry about posting on the wrong forum but now i know - thanks to all of you
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

special thank u to the editor katie for changing to the correct forum, just a quick question last night i noticed i got a very rude reply from someone because i had it posted on the wrong forum and i wanted to show my husband how nasty someone can get and how personal even as i stayed it was my first time posting but when i looked again it was gone i was happy but did someone quite rightly delete it..just was wondering because it was not necessary to give that sort of reply
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:49 PM

Folks can sound sharp on here without meaning to. Some of them, OTOH mean to Same as life, really.

And I swim in Scotland in the summer. Somewhat less than I did as a child, admittedly, but nonetheless....

We have fantastic beaches.
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:15 AM

Forget Andalucia in July/August: way too hot.

Also forget Lisbon: too hot.

Scotland may be too cool and rainy for beach life (hardy Northern Europeans go swimming but I am not sure if your daughters are comfortable with seawater temps of 14°C - if yes, stop reading and do it!).

Let's see what else in Europe:

- Provence: nice beaches, but too hot to visit ruins.

- Cote d'Azur: too crowded and too expensive in July/August.

- Northern Italy: beaches crowded and most of them not very nice.

- Brittany: seawater is probably too cold.

What is left?

a) The Baltic is surprisingly warm in July and August and has beautiful beaches, made of fine white sand. The beaches are all the way from Germany to Tallinn (Neringa is one of the finest, but there is nothing else to do in the area). Why not Germany? Beautiful beaches, historical old towns, zillions of castles, beautiful lakes in the hinterland, the cities Berlin, Lübeck, Hamburg?

b) The mediterranean islands with beautiful beaches and moderate temperatures even in mid-summer: Mallorca, Sardinia, Corsica...

c) My personal favorite would be: Cote d'Argent - one of the most beautiful beaches in the world (150km long). Breathtaking landscape, aquatic pleasures (surfing, jet-skiing etc.), excellent food, in the hinterland Bordeaux, Dordogne, Pyrenees. Spend a couple of days at the Cote d'Argent and some more days in Northern Spain: Donostia, Bilbao.

You want to see some pictures?

http://france-for-visitors.com/photo...te-argent.html

Old May 6th, 2008, 03:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try Malaga, Seville, Cordoba

Beaches great in Malaga and a train goes between each city each of which has some great visiting.

Avoids you sticking to the seats in the great heat.

Malaga has the best airport but you could train it down from Madrid

Old May 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi all:
Because of your great advise and input I am now more informed and could make a better decision. I love to travel with my family especially when I see they are enjoying the trips but as they are both in school we can only go in july/august when they are off but i would try to plan my next europe trip when it is cooler and off season,,,,,,thank u so much