Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spain or Portugal (10 Days) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spain-or-portugal-10-days-666207/)

Jtosc001 Dec 26th, 2006 12:27 PM

Spain or Portugal (10 Days)

Hi,

I am heading to Spain in September for 12 days. I don't expect to return to this part of the world for a long time. Do I just spend my time in Spain or do I split it between Spain/Portugal or Spain/Morocco?

While I don't want to bite off too much, more than a few days here or there is enough for me. This past summer I spent 14 days in Italy, and when I showed my friends my itinerary they declared, "It can't be done!" Well, it was done and I had a great time.

Obviously every place is worth visiting, so please don't be offended by this question: with 14 days, is it "worth" visiting Portugal or Morocco while in Spain?

NEDSIRELAND Dec 26th, 2006 02:37 PM

Portugal, Yes! Morocco, No! Spain is a huge and diverse country and you're going to have enough from which to choose for 12-days without wasting any days going to Tangier. IMHO they are better spent getting a taste of Portugal. You might consider an 'open jaw' arriving Madrid and departing Lisbon.

I am a northern Spain person: I love Bilbao, Santander, the Picos de Europa west to the Principality of Asturias and Galicia. Andalucia (Moorish Spain) is not my 'cup of tea.' Barcelona is nice for a day or two; Madrid for more days to allow daytrips to Toledo and Segovia. But you didn't say how you will be travelling. I have done all the aforementioned on Public transport.

artlover Dec 26th, 2006 03:07 PM

IMO it depends on your interests. I've been to Spain several times and am going back again in April, but have never been to Portugal, though am thinking of it someday. The draw of Spain for me is the art, architecture, and culture, and while I'm sure Portugal has much to offer, I don't believe it has as much in the way of great museums (Prado, Sofia, Museo Picasso, Theatro Dali) and architectural wonders (Alhambra, Segovia,

artlover Dec 26th, 2006 09:50 PM

(I was cut off...)

Gaudi). While I think Portugal sounds lovely, to me, Spain has more to offer, but it depends on your interests.

lobo_mau Dec 27th, 2006 01:30 AM

Answering to original question, IMHO it's not "worth" to split between countries

Nikki Dec 27th, 2006 06:07 AM

When I went to Spain and Portugal for a similar time period last summer, I really enjoyed the differences in language, culture and food between the two countries. Obviously we didn't see either country in depth, and in Portugal we only saw Lisbon. But for me it was definitely worth it.

Graziella5b Dec 27th, 2006 07:31 AM

I agree with Art Lover I have been many times in Spain and we are on our way in March.
James A. Michener the Author of the worldknown book IBeria says that for some reason no one knows some people love more Spain than Portugal and other are the inverse.
I have been in Portugal and at the end of the day I like more to come back to Spain, again and again.
By the way Art Lover have you been in Valladolid we are going this year mainly to visit the Museo Nacional de Escultura, which they tell me is as good as the Prado in a different field.

Geeklawyer Dec 27th, 2006 01:22 PM

You really can't see all of the "must-sees in Spain in 12-days, so I'd say don't split the time.

Twelve days gives you:

3 Days in Andalucia, to see everything from Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada.

4 days in Madrid, with side trips to Segovia, Toledo and/or El Escorial.

3 days in Barcelona

2 days for all of Northern Spain.

And that doesn't even get you near places like Gibraltar.

Craigellachie Dec 27th, 2006 03:37 PM

Spain is big enough and varied enough to spend two weeks there and feel like you've been to a different country every second day. Look at Geeklawyer's rough itinerary, twelve days and you've hardly even started to see the country. Unless you're the kind of tourist who likes to tick off countries in a list, stick to spain for now. Portugal will still be there in ten or twenty years time.

artlover Dec 27th, 2006 03:51 PM

IMO with only 12 days, you should leave out North Spain for sure this time and maybe (unless you don't mind being rushed) Barcelona and add extra days in Seville and perhaps add Ronda or white villages in Audaluscia.

Graziella, No, I haven't been to Valladolid yet...this is what I mean--there's just so much in Spain I want to see that I keep going back again and again (and am never disappointed).

Jtosc001 Dec 28th, 2006 04:32 AM

You have all been very helpful. It's settled then--Spain it is! If you have any other tips regarding itinerary, please post them. Any experience with Rick Steve's itinerary for Spain?

Sue_xx_yy Dec 28th, 2006 05:41 AM

Alternatively, you stick to southern Spain for 7-8 nights, and spend 3-4 nights in Lisbon with possibly a night in between (say Faro, on the Algarve, especially if you are using public transport between Spain and Portugal.) We just did a similar trip earlier this year. It boils down to whether you're more intrigued by Madrid or Lisbon. Personally, I was very glad we squeezed in Lisbon.

Geeklawyer Dec 28th, 2006 07:17 AM

I found Rick Steves to be underappreciative of Spain in general--he compared the Mezquita to a residential basement.