Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spain / London Trip help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spain-london-trip-help-1018690/)

traveladdict305 Jul 1st, 2014 07:51 AM

Spain / London Trip help

Hello

I am very much enjoying this site and the trip reports. I am in the process of planning a holiday trip for Christmas & New Years period. Dates are set in stone as the flight was purchased using miles (RT LHR) 12/25 arrival to 1/7 depart (early)

I had originally thought of Paris & London but since we had already been in Paris and the hotels were very expensive I am considering spain - specifically Madrid, Seville, Cordoba
We do want to spend a few days in London before departure

So far this is what i have

Arrive on 12/25 in London - fly to Madrid

Leave Madrid on 1/1 to London (this can be modified to allow more days in Spain)

We have previously been to Madrid for about a week but did a day trip to Segovia, Wine Tour day trip and 2 days to Alicante to see family - so basically we saw almost nothing of Madrid itself. Side note we have been to Barcelona 2x's for a few days each time

If I am squeezing too much in please tell me I want to give London its due time as well

Thank you so much in advance!

Robert2533 Jul 1st, 2014 09:40 AM

Madrid, and the rest of Spain, celebrate the Christmas season, which doesn't end until the 6th of January, Epiphany. You will not find the same atmosphere in London, so you may want to do London first and Madrid second.

traveladdict305 Jul 1st, 2014 09:48 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply I had actually read that Christmas and Boxing Day in London are slower days and that is why my focus was on Madrid first - As well as Madrid being more festive on NYE

janisj Jul 1st, 2014 02:58 PM

>>so you may want to do London first and Madrid second.<< Not IMO - see below.

>> I had actually read that Christmas and Boxing Day in London are slower days and that is why my focus was on Madrid first <<

. . . and you made the right choice IMO. London isn't just 'slow' on Christmas Day -- it is essentially shut down. It is a lovely time to walk w/ no traffic. But there is no public transport and no attractions are open. Boxing Day is a bit better - there is public transport for instance. Bit MANY attractions are closed for the holiday.

So I think your plan is fine. Do Madrid first and London afterwards.

bilboburgler Jul 1st, 2014 11:25 PM

Yes do Madrid first. Tricky bit is where to spend the 31st because that is good in London, but I guess the numbers say stay in Madrid.

PatrickLondon Jul 2nd, 2014 01:59 AM

Just a thought, and people who really know Spain may know better, but I was in Barcelona over the New Year once, and I found a fair few; restaurants and bars closed, as though that was the kind of family event that Christmas is for us in the UK.

On the other hand, lots of places in London will be rammed full on New Year's Eve, or sticking extra on everything.