Hello fellow Fodorites!
We will be arriving in Madrid on December 4th and departing on December 10th. I realize this is a woefully inadequate time to do Spain justice. Sigh. A little about me, this is my first trip to Europe and my first big trip with my boyfriend, so I'd like it to be romantic. I love gardens, art, Moorish and Roman architecture, and am mainly drawn to Spain for the Alhambra. Here is our tentative itinerary:
Dec. 4- Arrive Madrid 9:30 a.m
Dec. 5- Train [Toledo] to Granada (sleep Granada)
Dec. 6- ½ day Granada to see Alhambra, train to Sevilla
Dec. 7- Sevilla
Dec. 9- [Cordoba] to Madrid, sleep Madrid (Seville to Madrid, 2.5 h AVE)
The cities in brackets are optional, depending on how much time we have. We plan on using all public transport for the duration of the trip due to possible snowy roads and limited daylight.
Since the gardens will mostly be dead, will the Alhambra be worth the limited time we have? While I don't want to shortchange Madrid, as I would love to see the Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Museo Sorrolla, I prefer smaller, more intimate towns and natural scenery. Other priorities: Moorish and Roman architecture and a hammam.
Also, to build in flexibility, would it be advisable to only book our first night's hotel in Madrid, the AVE train to [Toledo] Granada and our tickets to the Alhambra?
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 2 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 3 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 4 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 5 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 6 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 7 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 8 Easter Week in Italy
- 9 Moscow Hotels
- 10 Rome Hotel
- 11 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 12 Getting around Lisbon
- 13 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 14 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 15 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 16 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 17 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 18 Trains - website?
- 19 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 20 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 21 Paris November 2017
- 22 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 23 Spain in 2018
- 24 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 25 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
Hello fellow Fodorites!