Spain itinerary for late Sept 2011

Old Dec 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain itinerary for late Sept 2011

Two of us are flying into Madrid, and with air miles, also will fly out. This is what we would like to see; having planned other trips to France in other years, please let me know if this is doable, or suggestions to what may work better:
Madrid - 4 nights
to Segovia (train or car?) - 2 nights
to Toledo (train or car?) - 2 nights
to Granada (train?) - 2 nights (or 3?),
take plane (9pm I see on schedule) to Barcelona - 5 nights,
including a day trip to Girona, or should this be an overnight?
Barcelona plane to Madrid (leaves 8:30 am)
Madrid fly out at 1:15pm

This would be 15 or 16 nights (max).
I know I am starting to go north for Segovia, then south. And then a plane to Barcelona. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions overall, am I missing something nearby?

Thanks in advance,
SC1
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 10:45 AM

What are your interests? What is your travel style? Have you ever visited Spain or is this your first trip? Is it possible to book one leg (either arriving into Spain or returning home) out of Barcelona?

The beginning of the itinerary is somewhat slow paced - which is fine if you like a more relaxed trip. For example many people just visit Segovia and Toledo as daytrips from Madrid. Personally I prefer to spend a couple of nights in these cities if time allows. The thing that jumps out at me is the visit to Andalucia to see Granada. Is there a reason why you are not visiting Seville? It's one of my favorite citiesi in Spain. It would be a little tight to add in your itinerary but you could spend 5 nights in Madrid and visit Segovia & Toledo as daytrips then you'd have 3 nights for Sevilla (personally I'd want 4 days allowing time for a daytrip to Cordoba, so if you have time for an additional day I'd do 4 in Sevilla). 2 nights is sufficient for Granada. You can visit Girona as a daytrip from Barcelona. I've always spent a couple of nights. But it all depends on how much time you have in total. I wouldn't add time for an overnight in Girona at the expense of cutting somewhere else you have outlined. In summary I'd probably do something like: 5 nights Madrid (daytrips to Toledo & Segovia), 4 nights Sevilla (daytrip to Cordoba) , 2 nights Granada, 5 nights Barcelona (daytrip to Girona). This would give you the highlights of these areas of Spain. It's not in-depth (you could spend the entire time in Andalucia and still have plenty to see) but it's an overview.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 11:13 AM
kja

It really depends on your preferred pace of travel and what you want to see and experience!

If these are the locations of greatest interest to you, then I'd probably shift one day from Segovia (I found one day sufficient there) to Granada (where I spent 2.5 days).

If you want to see more of Andalucia, CathyM gives you some good ideas.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply and knowledge.

I forgot to mention our interests are architecture, some art, definitely foodie and photography.

In the light research I did, it seems that Segovia and Toledo look so romantic that staying there seems like an idea. I understand Granada/Andalucia are fabulous as well (noting your other forum comments), so it looks like a dilemma for us; more time south vs. more time north.

FYI, I have distant family in Madrid, so that would be a day or two. And then would like to discover some of Madrid on our own. Like our trip to Paris, I am sure not all can be seen in a few days in Madrid.

What do you think of this itinerary?
Madrid 3 nights
Segovia 2 nights
Toledo 2 nights, then train to Granada
Granada 2 nights, train
Sevilla 2 nights, plane to Barcelona
Barcelona 5 nights (day trip to Girona)
Plane from Barcelona to Madrid, Madrid back to US.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 11:32 AM

I am not big on spending more than a day in Toledo ( and Segovia) unless you have some special reason or just like exploring small towns.
Same goes for Girona.
There is fast train connection to all of the above.
Again, depends on your interest. I prefer big cities and what they offer, but it is up to you.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM

If I were doing this I wouldn't do overnights in Toledo or Segovia. I would add a couple of days to Madrid and do these as daytrips from there. I would add a couple of days to Sevilla , and that would allow a day trip from there to Cordoba.
There are no trains from Toledo to Granada, you would have to go via Madrid.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM
kja

Much as I loved Sevilla, you might want to consider delaying your visit there until you can spend more time in Andalucia. I actually liked your first proposal better, but people really do differ in their preferences.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! All good points...I am consolidating, staying in Madrid with the day trips. Makes sense!

I'll post another note when I have it more solid...at least I can secure the airfare (miles) now, and get the rest in order based on the cost, time, and fun!

Thanks again all! Happy New Year!