Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spain Itinerary: Advice, Suggestions, Perspectives

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am a solo female traveller, and will be flying in from Asia and around 2 weeks in Spain (Mar01-15). It's part business and part pleasure. I have a few free days in between some fixed appointments, and would like to hear some thoughts regarding my itinerary. I will specify which days are fixed below. The only Mandatory thing is I have to fly in and out of Madrid.

This will be my first time in Spain and I don't know when I will return again, most likely not in the next 2-3 years. I'm very interested in food, however, I don't drink alcohol. I also enjoy walking around town, popping in and out of museums, and I looooove taking photos (of food, places, crazy quirks).

My itinerary is listed out below. But basically, I have one single free day on Seville on Mar07. And 3 free days on Mar 11, 12, 13 (On the morning of Mar11, I will be waking up in BCN.)

I would love to see the Alahambra in Granada, and don't know if I should/could squeeze it in on Mar07 while I'm down in Seville and just day trip it. From what I've read across the boards, two nights in Granada seems to be about the right amount of to spend there.

I'd like some thoughts on:

1. I don't know if I should forego Granada on Mar07, and return after I'm done with my business trip (fly from BCN-Granada on Mar11) and fill my free days (Mar11,12,13) before I return to Madrid.

2. BUT. (there's always a but, isn't there?). My initial three days in BCN (Mar 08,09,10) will be spent doing the Business bit with not so much pleasure, and I'd really love to explore Barcelona also, and since I'm already there, logistically, it'd make sense to just spend Mar11,12,13 in BCN before I fly back into Madrid. However, that means, I'd have to squeeze Granada in on Mar07 while I'm in Seville.

3. Or I could spend and extra night in BCN (Mar11) then do Granada on Mar 12,13. But then I wonder if one extra night is enough for BCN.

I understand I have to forego /something/ but I can't seem to make up my mind! Are there any festivals, events, happenings, during the time of my stay that perhaps can sway my vote? (By the end of my trip, I don't want anything too fast paced, I need to be able to be an extremely indulgent and just carefree).

Whew. I hope that wasn't confusing.

My itinerary is as follows:

The cities I have specified below, are the cities that I will be spending the night at.
This itinerary also includes travel time.

Mon, Mar01 - Arr Madrid
Mar02 - Madrid - Fixed
Mar03 - Madrid - Fixed
Mar04 - Madrid - Fixed
Mar05 - Seville (Taking AVE from Madrid at Night arriving late-night in Sev)
Mar06 - Seville - Fixed

Mar07 - Seville FREE DAY

Mar08 - Barcelona (Fly to BCN early evening) - Fixed
Mar09 - Barcelona - Fixed
Mar10 - Barcelona - Fixed

Mar11 -
Mar12 -
Mar13 -

Mar14 - Madrid - Fixed
Thurs, Mar15 - Dep Madrid - Fixed

I'm really looking forward to hear your thoughts!
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
If you really, really want to see Alhambra: Do it. It IS worth it imho. But don't sacrifice Seville. Sacrifice a day & night in Barcelona (ps I much prefer the south anyway). I would fly down from BCN for 1 night & see Alhambra in the AM (at least) & fly back to MAD to finish your business.

Ian
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Spain is a wonderful and challenging place to eat. It has many regions, many specialities, and many fiercely-contested opinions. Given your relatively short time there, it will pay to do some research in advance. Of course you can walk off the street and find great food on the plate, but you could also get stuck in some tourist factory. For instance, the renowned "tapas" mean different things in different regions. So it will help to know what you are getting into. And remember, dinner is served at 22:00. Yes, 10:00 p.m. On weekends, you may need reservations.
One place to start is here http://maribelsguides.com/
These city guides look somewhat homemade but the author has won respect for being current on what's good where.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Take a carriage ride in Sevilla if it is not too cold. it will give you a wonderful overview in a relaxed way.

Be prepared for possible very cold days if the weather continues as it is now. ( Which I hope it doesn't). But Spain can be much colder than many people realize. This is WINTER here. Snow in the mountains and scarves and gloves everywhere. Snow on beaches this week, too, which is fairly infrequent but we are living through it right now.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 09:36 AM

I agree that you should see Sevilla on your free day in Sevilla.

Then with the 3 open days I'd fly to Granada and spend 2 nights then bus or train to Cordoba and spend 1 night. Alternatively you could stay in Barcelona the first night and then head to Granada for 2 nights.