Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spain it is! Mother & daughter need fodor's Spain experts to help us with our last minute trip. We're just a little confused (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spain-it-is-mother-and-daughter-need-fodors-spain-experts-to-help-us-with-our-last-minute-trip-were-just-a-little-confused-290297/)

rosetravels Jan 22nd, 2008 08:37 PM

Spain it is! Mother & daughter need fodor's Spain experts to help us with our last minute trip. We're just a little confused

My daughter and I are trying to plan a last minute trip--I leave this Saturday, DD is already in Brussels. After a little waffling between Spain and Italy we've decided on Spain.

We'll be in Paris for 8 - 9 days. Then we have another 13 - 14 days to spend in Spain. Then back in Paris for 2. I think we may be arriving at a crazy itinerary because of course, we want to see it all. We need our fodor friends to save us from ourselves!

February:
4 - night sleeper train to Barcelona (has anyone done this & did you like it?)
5 - Barcelona
6 - Barcelona
7 - Barcelona (Montserrat)
8 - Girona (rent a car)
9 - Tarragona
10 - return car, fly to Grenada
11 - Grenada
12 - (rent car, wander) Ubeda
13 - Sevilla
14 - Sevilla
15 - Sevilla
16 - Madrid
17 - Madrid
18 - fly to Paris
19 - Paris
20 - home

Please rearrange, cut and make suggestions. We had a change of plans - Kenya :( ... so this is unavoidably a last minute trip with little time to do my favorite thing - plan a trip. (But on the plus side, we have a good idea what the weather will be like.) Truly, we will welcome your help. Be as detailed as you like.

Oh - DD is 25, I'm very young ;), we like wandering around, seeing great art, interesting small towns, cathedrals, cafes, walking/hiking a lot. One of us likes night life. Usually we like to rent an apartment and stay a week to get to know a place.

Your advice so far has been terrific - now we need to figure out the details.

kybourbon Jan 22nd, 2008 09:08 PM

I would take a budget flight (Paris Orly to Girona) and start your trip on Girona. From there you can travel to Barcelona ( I think bus is used here). You can train easily to Tarragona from Barcelona. I guess I don't see the point of a car for one day in Girona and one day in Tarragona.

See www.whichbudget.com or www.skyscanner.net for budget flights.

rosetravels Jan 22nd, 2008 09:16 PM

Thanks kybourbon - Very helpful advice. And I see it's just under 50 eu Paris to Girona. Wow.

Aduchamp1 Jan 22nd, 2008 10:35 PM

Not sure when you are dropping off the car after Granada but it is unneeded in Sevilla. Please note Grenada is an island while Granada is in Spain.

travel_buzzing Jan 23rd, 2008 01:44 AM

try vueling.com for that budget flight cos ryanair will add on their own fees, and then you have to add the transport costs getting from girona-barcelona (20 euro return).

travel_buzzing Jan 23rd, 2008 01:45 AM

also way2stay.com for Barcelona apartment

rosetravels Jan 23rd, 2008 05:11 AM

Hi all,

Yes, we'd definitely drop the car off at Seville. Do you think we need to rent a car for that portion or would a bus be just fine?

Is this the right number of days in various places?

kybourbon Jan 23rd, 2008 06:13 AM

The budget airlines have strict check-in and luggage policies. Be sure you are in compliance.

bubblywine Jan 23rd, 2008 08:43 AM

What are they strict about?

tammylouky Jan 23rd, 2008 09:14 AM

You definitely do not need a car for Sevilla, it is a great city to walk around and plus I would never, in a million years, want to navigate a car around the narrow, confusing streets. We stayed in Sevilla a few nights and then picked up our car at the train station. Take the AVE to Madrid from Sevilla, nice, relaxing, and only 2-3 hours.

artlover Jan 23rd, 2008 04:28 PM

bubblywine,
They're very strict about weight--DD had to pay overcharges that were more than her ticket for her luggage:-<

danon Jan 23rd, 2008 06:31 PM

I would fly Paris - Barcelona on Vueling.
stay in Barcelona at least 4 days
fly to Granada ( Vueling again)
for 2 days , if you wish to rent a car for a drive to Seville ( stop in
Ubeda)
3 days in Seville . AVE train to Madrid
4 days in Madrid ( maybe a day trip to Toledo)

rosetravels Jan 23rd, 2008 08:01 PM

Thanks Danon - that's really helpful. So you'd recommend the 2 days we were thinking about in Tarragona and Girona in favor of Madrid and Andalucia?

I am very excited about the Prado.

danon Jan 23rd, 2008 09:11 PM

hi,
we found so much to see in both Barcelona and Madrid
Prado and other museums in Madrid are great so is the Palace , beatuful park Retiro, elegant district Salamanca etc.
Barcelona , to me, is like a mix of Paris and Nice with a twist .
We stayed 8 days and never left the city.
Granada is small but interesting - reserve tickets for Alhambra ahead of time .
I visited Seville long time ago , so I don't remember much except that I wish to go back ( next year) .
Sorry, I have never visited Tarragona and Girona so I cannot comment, but you may be rushing it a bit. Every time you change cities you lose half a day .(packing, checking out, getting to the airport,traveling, getting to the hotel.... you get the picture)
Some people don't mind moving around a lot and just getting a taste of different places.
It is your choice of course.

rosetravels Jan 23rd, 2008 09:30 PM

Hi Danon - thanks for the tip about the Alhambra. We'll do that.

The 10 day weather forecast looks very good.

WTnow Jan 23rd, 2008 11:57 PM

Make sure that you do a day trip from Seville to Cordoba, you really do not want to miss the Mesquita ( or the great food there) and it is easy to do from Seville.

Don't miss the flamenco in Seville and Granada.

dejah6 Jan 24th, 2008 12:37 AM

Another great side trip from Sevilla is Ronda. It has a huge gorge running through the city and is breathtaking. There's no train to the city, but there are buses (http://www.movelia.es). We've always driven. If you're looking for interesting hotels to stay in try a Parador (http://www.parador.es/english/). They are castles, monasteries and historical buildings turned into very nice hotels and restaurants. There's a beautiful one in Ronda. Make sure to check out the incredible discount they offer for people ages 20-30 (http://www.paradores-spain.com/offers/youngpersons.html). Only one guest needs to be under 30 for the discount. They also have a wonderful buffet breakfast included with the discount. Enjoy Spain. We love the country!

josele Jan 24th, 2008 02:49 AM

There is train to Ronda, but not direct to Seville, you must change trains at Bobadilla. It is incomvenient and a waste of time, better to use the Bus.

rosetravels Jan 24th, 2008 06:00 AM

The Paradors do look lovely. The one I'd love to stay at - Granada - doesn't offer the young person rate. I'll keep looking - thanks for the information.

WTNow - Thanks. I've been wondering about Cordoba. I've also wanted to tell you how much I like your blog. I think we're going to Spain in part because of your reminders that Anadalucia is really lovely in winter. We traveled a lot when DD was 5 - spent a summer traveling through Mexico for instance - and your daughter reminds me of mine at that age.

rosetravels Jan 24th, 2008 06:17 AM

Hotel Girona in Barcelona looks very reasonable. They have 'interior' twin rooms and 'exterior' twin rooms. The difference is 12 eu. Does anyone know what that means? Does one have a street view and one an alley or something?