Search

Car parking in Pisa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car parking in Pisa

Guys

Thanks for all your responses. I had some follow-up questions.

How about parking in the Pisa area when we visit the leaning tower etc? Is it easily accessible and how much do they normally cost?

Also, is a visit to Lucca from Pisa pretty easy with the car? We need to be back to Pisa train station in the evening to catch a train to Milan where we stay for the night.

Thanks

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM

There is a very large free public car park in walking distance of the Duomo/Leaning Tower area. Just follow Pietrasantina after the cross street Via Contessa Matilda and you will see the entrance on the right. It's a ten minute walk through the underpass. There is also a bus which comes reasonably frequently right from the car park. Buy a ticket before getting on. Get off the second stop past Via Contessa Matilda and you'll see the gate and Duomo directly across the road. Don't miss the Camposanto and the Sinopie Museum along with Duomo and Bapistry. BTW parking anywhere else around that area of Pisa is likely to be problematic.

You might be better to catch a bus to Lucca. (Not sure, but I think it goes right along Pietrasantina - it's a blue bus, you could check the timetable at the bus stop nearest the Duomo). From my experience it's very easy to get lost when reentering Pisa by car, lots of narrow roads with inconsistent signposting. That's unless you want to take the autostrada. The signposting there is clearer and you should be able to find the station easily from there.

Peter
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I find www.mappy.com a good way to locate parking. Use the map function instead of itinerary/directions. Enter the city and country. After the map loads click on parking under practical info on the righthand side of the screen. The list of parking lots in the city will appear numbered below the map and on the map. Most will have clickable links with more info such as hours and pricing.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:05 AM

Hi,

near the tower there is a larg parking with pay parking spots, and another large park and ride parking in via Pietrasantina.

Basically, you follow signs to the tower and continue straight on the same street. You pass a set of traffic lights and and drive under a bridge. Continue straight and shortly after the bridge on your left you can spot a Tamoil gas station: the entrance to the parking lot is there.

You can walk to the tower in 5-10 minutes or get on one of the busses, (Navetta B). It is not really necessary... it is very close.

To go to Lucca from there it is very very easy.

Basically when you get back to the parking lot, you go back to the bridge and drive under it. At the traffic light, turn left and follow the city walls. When the city walls finish you will find yourself at a roundabout. The road to Lucca starts at the roundabout.

There are signs, but if I am not mistaken, it is the second on your left. It is a road with lots of trees. Very beautiful even though narrow. You can also follow signs to San Giuliano Terme.

So from the park and ride near the tower it is basically a straight line to Lucca.

And coming back is very easy too.

Come back the same way, following blue signs to Pisa. You will end up on the same road with trees. Drive untill the trees finish and you will be at the same roundabout. From there the city walls are already visible, so drive back along the city walls until you are back to the Tower.

I have a vacation rental by the traffic lights in Via Pietrasantina, Behind the Tower, and I have lived in Pisa for over 10 years now. I work there and go to Lucca two or three times per week.

So if you need any advice, please, let me know!

Enjoy Pisa and Lucca. Do not confine your visit to the Campo dei Miracoli, there is so much more to see in town! Take a walk through the centre. Pisa is a beautiful medieval town!