Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spain in February? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spain-in-february-134907/)

Connie Christy Jan 4th, 2002 12:54 PM

Spain in February?

Would it be insane to travel to Spain in February? So far, we're only planning for Madrid but will definitely make it to at least one other destination - Seville or Barcelona are our top 2 picks. We're there for 8 days. Any suggestions? <BR><BR>P.S. I haven't committed to this trip yet and may postpone mine to later in the year.

Maria Jan 5th, 2002 06:51 PM

Connie,<BR><BR>Of course it is not insane to travel off season! Rates will be low, no crowds and just bring a warm coat and gloves for when you are outside. I would recommend 3 days in Madrid, AVE (bullet train) to Sevilla in 2.5 hrs then spend 3 days in Sevilla. Train to Cordoba from Sevilla is 1 hour, for 1 night in Cordoba, and back to Madrid on the AVE again.<BR><BR>Unless you are really a city person, I think the whole time in just 2 big cities would not be as enjoyable. Sevilla is pure magic at any time of the year. The Mezquita (Mosque) in Cordoba is umbelievable and definitely worth a trip.<BR><BR>Buen Viaje,<BR><BR>Maria

Davidx Jan 6th, 2002 03:34 AM

I am e-mailing you some folders of notes on Andalucia and Barcelona area.<BR>It depends what you want - I guess you are not banking on beaches to be travelling in February and inland Andalucia is marvellous. You should definitely include Granada as well as Sevilla and Cordoba. I am pretty nuts about Ronda and the area raound it myself - as you will see if you read the e-mails. It will possibly be cold in some of these places early morning and evening because they are high up.<BR>Get in touch if you think I can help further.

Barry Jan 6th, 2002 09:26 AM

Hi Connie -<BR><BR>We've been to Barcelona twice in late Feb... wonderful both times !!! It is one of our very favorite cities. Try and stay directly on La Rambla... our favorite is the Citadines, great location... it is an "apartment hotel" with two and three room suites with full kitchen and the city market is right across the street. Regular room prices but MORE ROOM!!! I think we paid $149 a night last March. I booked on line with them and was very satisfied. On earlier trips we stayed out on Diagonal and while the Metro service is very good, it is just better to be "in the middle of things". Sevilla is also wonderful and I think the 3 city itinerary is a good idea (although I would stay longer in Barcelona!) The weather has been good each time we have been there (all 3 times in late Feb or early March), and while the folks there think it's cold, we are from Atlanta, Ga and found it most pleasant!<BR><BR>Barry<BR><BR>Barry

Patrick Jan 6th, 2002 01:38 PM

We spent a week in Madrid two years ago in Feb and it was fabulous. The weather was georgeous fopr touring and there were no crowds.We were visiting our daughter in school there so a week was not to long- we did take day trips to Avilla, Segovia and Toledo which are all well worth it. One full day is needed for Toledo and another for a joint trip to Avilla and Segovia. Have fun/ P. S. Iberia is offering some great fares on its web site.

Paula Jan 7th, 2002 07:36 AM

Hi fodorites !! I'm also going to be in Spain in early february and was wondering if you could tell me what are the best hotel choices in Granada for not more than $100 a night. I'll be renting a car so the location is not that important, but the architecture, the setting and the service are !!<BR><BR>Thanks a lot !! <BR>Paula

Henry Feb 3rd, 2002 08:04 AM

Hotel Guadalupe in Granada, at the gates of the Alhambra. We paid 55 euros last week. Excellent, clean with a view and a restaurant.

Henry Feb 3rd, 2002 08:05 AM

Hotel Guadalupe in Granada, at the gates of the Alhambra. We paid 55 euros last week. Excellent, clean with a view and a restaurant. 65 degrees F and mostly sunny every day