Spain - "deeper cuts"?

Search

Spain - "deeper cuts"?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain - "deeper cuts"?

Hi, I studied abroad in Granada in college and would like to take my husband for his first visit to Spain for my 30th birthday - over Labor Day weekend - next year. Granada and Barcelona are my must-return cities... but I'd like everywhere else we go to be somewhere new for me. I would LOVE suggestions for north/NW Spain more than anything. But would love your opinions on where else we should go. We will have 2 weeks max.

Cities I've already visited: Sevilla, Cordoba, Malaga, Nerja, Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Avila, El Escorial (and Granada and Barcelona)

I'm looking less for churches/museums and more for interesting food and culture. I've heard Picos de Europa is gorgeous and would not be opposed to doing some hiking or getting outside of cities and into nature. I LOVE markets like the Boqueria and other flea/street markets, and would be happy to just spend time wandering and eating my way through whatever cities we visit.

Thanks!

Last edited by amandarawrrr; Aug 18th, 2018 at 03:50 PM. Reason: add time of year
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 05:06 PM

going by car or train? For such a widely removed triangle - all three places far apart take train between them and maybe rent car once in say. Santigo de la Compestella I really liked and that area. For train info check Renfe - Spanish railways site; for insights on booking own tickets www.seat61.com and for general train info also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Am open to train and potentially renting a car - or flying. Thanks for the links. I suppose Barcelona is negotiable, but it’s one of my favorite cities that I’d love my husband to experience. Granada is happening no matter what
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 05:39 PM

Well you've been to every notable place in southern Spain - how about San Sabstian area - Bilboa and even into nearby France - St Jean-de-Luz and Biarritz area is sweet. Fly into Granada - take train to Madrid - few days maybe - train to San Sebstian area - train to Barcelona - fly home from there.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 06:04 PM

Check Vueling flights ...from Barcelona to Granada
or from Barcelona to SAN Sebastian , Bilbao etc
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 06:12 PM
kja

You have a vast array of options, more than you can possibly see in the time you have. I encourage you to consult the Michelin Green Guide and Rough Guide. And if you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report:
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ - I like the sound of something like that, perhaps in reverse. Is it worth it to road trip from Barcelona to Bilbao/San Sebastian, or should we just fly up to Bilbao, make that our home base for a week, and rent a car to do a bunch of day trips - Burgos, Logroño, San Sebastian, Santander, Southern France...? As we please? Then fly from Bilbao to Granada?
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

@kja - your trip report - WOW! Thank you so much for sharing and writing. You and I have similar travel paces, although I will be trying to slow down a bit for my husband's sake... I'm reversing myself and considering skipping Barcelona in favor of a trip through Salamanca, Valladolid, Burgos, and finally ending in the Bilbao area. You mentioned in your report that you've visited Salamanca prior and it was one of your favorite cities. Can you elaborate? Have you been to Valladolid? Trying to weigh all my options here. Thanks!
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 05:15 AM

If you are interested in food, you might want to go to Burgos via the Ribera del Duero, the heart of roast suckling lamb country. I was there two years ago and ate at two of my favorite restaurants in Spain, Mannix in Campaspero and Asadores Nazareno in Roa. If you are going as far as Bilbao, I would not miss Getaria and San Sebastian.

Last fall we spent about two weeks in Asturias and loved it, but you should have a car there.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 05:57 AM

Basque Country

My vote for San Sebastian and Bilbao
https://www.sansebastianturismo.com/en/
https://tourism.euskadi.eus/en/
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 07:48 AM

I visited many places in Spain ,
the beauty of Salamanca was a surprise..it just glows
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 08:44 AM
kja

Originally Posted by amandarawrrr
@kja - your trip report - WOW! Thank you so much for sharing and writing. ... You mentioned in your report that you've visited Salamanca prior and it was one of your favorite cities. Can you elaborate? Have you been to Valladolid? Trying to weigh all my options here. Thanks!
I'm glad you found some useful information in my report!

Salamanca is, IMO, exceptionally beautiful. I think danon said it well -- it really does glow. And there's a great deal to see and enjoy there. I gave it about 50 hours, and wish I'd given it more.

I have not been to Valladolid yet.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 01:49 PM

Valladolid plays in a lower league compared to Salamanca.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 02:31 PM

would like to take my husband for his first visit to Spain for my 30th birthday - over Labor Day weekend - next year

If only for a long weekend, I do not see much more than one city to visit.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 02:56 PM

We will have 2 weeks max.>
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 04:19 AM

Another vote for Salamanca. A truly beautiful place and danon is right saying it glows. We spent five days there and loved everything. Burgos and Bilbao were fabulous also. For just a long weekend my pick would be either Salamanca or Burgos.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, @cheska15. And thanks to PalenQ for helping me clarify - we will have 2 weeks in Spain. I mentioned Labor Day weekend as a reference to the time of year that we will be there.. late August/early September.

Salamanca is sounding lovely. Will look into it more!
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 12:05 PM

Pintxos in San Sebastian, Lonely Planet's #1 food experience in the world
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/ultimate-eats
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 12:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Salamanca, Burgos and San Sebastian were definite highs of our trip 30+ years ago and I agree with everything said above save the dissing of Valladolid - our visit to the museum of polychromatic sculpture will live long in the memory and may be the best insight into the darker side of the Spanish psyche that you'll ever get.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 10:11 AM

Valladolid was a surprise in being really neat and Burgos too - Salamanca was exceptional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -