Spain at the end of November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my trip to Spain and Israel all planned out, but kayak and orbitz had problems with actually booking the flights I wanted. "Sorry one or more flights are unavailable." or just "sorry, can't do!" Anyway, I made some changes got my flights booked and it cost me $500-$700 less!!

I was planning on three days in Madrid (to see the stuff I didn't see the last time) go to Isreal and come back through Barcelona for three days. But now I have six days straight in Spain, Nov. 20 (arrive 7:45 am) - Nov. 25 (leave morning of Nov.26).

I don't want to spend the whole six days in Madrid, just one or two days. Since I arrive at 7:30 am, I thought I could just continue to somewhere else for two or three days and then back to Madrid for Fri and Sat.

I have thought about Barcelona, Granada, or Santiago de Compostela. Any comments on which might be better than others at the end of November? I enjoy walking around, seeing the sights, and learning the history of where I am. No shopping, no clubbing, and food is something I catch as I can. I am also trying for accomodations under 60 euros a night.

Thanks.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:46 AM

In 6 days and with cheap flights between Madrid and Barcelona (vueling.com), you should be able to see both capitals (the latter being the capital of Catalunya). I think that both are wonderful cities for walking and seeing amazing things. Also, if you want to do a shabbat dinner in Barcelona, check out the Israelite Community website:
http://www.cibonline.org/area.asp?ID=3

Enjoy!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM

depending on what type of places you like to visit, perhaps you would be interested in seeing the more quaint, smaller towns in the hub around madrid.
(toledo,avila,segovia)

i would spend the night in toldeo.. maybe go there first.. then work my way around madrid to avila or segovia, ending up there the days you wish to spend.

it would give you a nice feel for a more medieval Spain in contrast to the greater metroplitan areas.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:02 PM

GBbabe,
If you enjoy history and art, I would do as lincasanova suggests and leisurely explore the periphery of Madrid.

I would head first to Toledo via 30 min. high speed AVE from Atocha station and spend a night or two. You can probably snag a 60 euro room at the well placed inside the walls 3 star Pintor El Greco or newish 3 star Casona de la Reyna with 1 talon hotel voucher
www.talonotel.com
You can purchas those coupons online in books of 5 or individually upstairs in Barajas, Terminal 1 at the Viajes El Corte Inglés booth. Or if you don't want the hassle of purchasing vouchers, there are other low cost options in Toledo, now with an oversupply of hotel rooms.

Toledo can be really magical and hauntingly mysterious at night after the tour bus hordes leave. And take an evening tour.
See www.toledopaisajes.com

Then you can take the AVE back to Madrid's Atocha station but switch there to a regional train to Avila (train beats bus to Avila). Stay at the very cute little 2 star Arco San Vicente (I did and loved it) and enjoy walking the medieval walls.
www.arcosanvicente.com

Then bus to Segovia (bus is best-takes about an hr) and end your exploration of Castilla in beautiful Segovia, which is a very memorable place to end your circle tour. Check
www.halconviajes.com
www.bancotel.com
www.talonotel.com for lodging there at 60 euros. The 4 star Hotel Los Arcos is usually available.
Or without vouchers, at the newly opened
3 star Casa Mudéjar Hospedería tucked into the Jewish quarter below the Plaza Mayor. 65 euros or less.
www.lacasamudejar.com

Then back to Madrid from Segovia by La Sepulvedana bus, a 1 hr. 15 min. trip.
This is exactly what I would do if traveling alone.
www.lasepulvedana.es
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Forgot,
Viajes El Corte Inglés also has a booth at Atocha train Station to purchase Talonhotel vouchers or make travel reservations.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:51 PM

I think the weather in Santiago might not be very good: What I would do is continue from Madrid to Barcelona on 'Puente Aereo' (Iberia, Air Europa or SpanAir). One of them should have a good rate. That should get you to BCN around midday, 20 Nov. Figure on departing BCN 'por la tarde' 22 Nov.

I have read about prople getting very good air fares between BCN & Granada and even Granada & Madrid.

Plan on 2-nights in Granada: return to Madrid midday 24 Nov.

That's how I think I would do it. Fly between cities - it saves time and it's not that expensive.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM

GBbabe,
If you plan to do MAD-BCN-MAD instead, please know that Iberia's shuttle service, their "puente aereo" is the most expensive way to fly between cities, for business folks who can pay the sky high walk-up airfare. The low cost flights will be on regular Iberia, Spanair, Air Europa, Vueling (but they don't have "prime time" slots; either early a.m. or late afternoon/eve.) and now Air Madrid with
Mad-Bcn departures on Mon. and Sat., leaving 10:30 a.m., arriving 11:40 for as low as 37 euros.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:25 PM

If you decide on the small, historic periphery towns option...
Forgot to mention that trains Madrid-Avila leave from Chamartín rail station rather than Atocha, so upon arriving in Atocha, you simply take the Cercanías train (2 intermediate stops at Recoletos and Nuevos Ministerios) to Chamartín to catch a Regional Express , Intercity or Talgo (best) to Avila.
www.renfe.es

Now, you have so many options, I hope we haven't just confused you!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:22 PM

We're also looking at going to spain in late november early December (we were previously looking to go in October). Is that a good time to go? We'll be primarily in Sevilla and a few days in Madrid and/or Granada.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:49 PM

We are going to Barcelona and then on to Malaga and then on to Portugal (Faro) and then to Lisbon in late Oct., early Nov. Any suggestions of places or towns to see. We will be there 3 weeks. Thanks
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas.

Ok, Santiago de Compostela is out. I thought that it might be too late in the year to go there.

So... now I have to choose between nedsireland's Barcelona/Granada/Madrid idea or lincasanova/Maribel's Castilla idea.

Oh boy. Both are very appealing. I was leaning toward the Castilla idea until I spoke with my MIL last night and she was very much for Granada and the Alhambra.

For the Castilla trip, I would like to see Toldedo again and go to Avila, but I don't know about Segovia. I was thinking 2 nights in Toledo, 2 nights in Avila (I am a "fan" of St. Theresa) then 3 nights in Madrid.

For the Barcelona trip, maybe three nights in Barcelona, see if I can get an early flight to Granada on the 23rd. See the Alhambra on the 24th, and go to Madrid late on the 24th or early on the 25th.

Well, I think the deciding factor will be to see what the air and train schedules are and see if I could do the Barcelona trip like I want to. If I can, well then I still have choose.

If only all my problems were are choice between good and good!