Spain and Tour de France 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to go to Spain (Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, etc) for about 2 weeks next year. We would like to go during Tour de France and watch at least one stage in the Pyrenees or another location that would be a great stage to view. (We have seen stages in France so we know what we are in for) They haven't announced the route yet but will soon. Any advice on how to put the trip together or where best to watch a mountain stage in Spain. We are not fans of large tour groups or travel agents if that helps. Would also like some advice on great day trips from Madrid and Barcelona as well).
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM

"We are not fans of large tour groups or travel agents if that helps".

What about small tour groups (there are a few good ones that have an inside track) or a professional trip planner who knows what's going on?
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 10:45 PM

The Tour route is announced. We're in the same boat and are looking for a spot in the Pyrenees to spend a couple of nights. Any suggestions? Here is the route: http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE..._parcours.html
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM

The area around Pau would be your best bet based on the 2011 schedule. The tour will be in the area from 13 to 15 July. You will need to make your arrangements as soon as possible as things fill up quickly with many of the available accommodations already taken by the major companies that follow the Tour. I would look for something in or near Jurançon. This makes a good base but the roads will be crowded with tour followers.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 06:25 AM

Looks like Argelès-Gazost might be an ideal base for both the Cugnaux > Luz-Ardiden and Pau > Lourdes stages. Then you would be very close to see either the climb on Tourmalet or the finsih up Luz Ardidén on the July 14th stage, and you are equally close to see the climb up Col d'Aubisque or stay "at home" and watch the riders pass through the town close to the finishing line on the July 15th stage. You have to be really early up in the mountains!

A hotel suggestion for your dates (2 rooms left):
http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/arri...out=2011-07-15
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM

On your way to/from the Tour de France stages, maybe stop in either Torla or Isaba, two different and beautiful villages in the Spanish Pyrenees:

Torla:
http://www.google.no/images?rlz=1T4A...w=1379&bih=805

Isaba: http://www.turismo.navarra.es/eng/or...so.aspx?o=2260
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xmjDQQyQ_I
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM

Kimhe - I cannot thank you enough for your helpful suggestions! I'm going to book the hotel you recommended and I think we'll be on track to see this crazy part of the tour. Have you done this before? This is really for my husband. We saw two stages of the tour back in 2002 and I was nearly trampled to death at a finish line. (slight exaggeration, but it did freak me out!) Needless to say, the 4 and 6 year old are going to sight-see with me while DH climbs hills waiting for bikes to whiz by! Seeing the Pyrenees will be fantastic!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM

AndiM,

Glad to help. Saw two stages in this area in 93 or 94 when Indurain was in command. Slept in the car in the town where they finished the day before and drove up on Tourmalet in very early hours before they closed the road. Fantastic landscapes and a great experience!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 11:47 PM

A tip for booking dot come. With some hotels they only leave a few rooms free that you can book with this portal/web site. If they are booked up try to find the hotels own website or another booking portal. You often come up trumps!
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 08:34 AM

If you are still looking for a good location and haven't found one yet, you might want to look in the villages of Pierrefitte-Nestalas and St. Savin. They are both just south of Argèles-Gazost.

As for a day trip from Barcelona: Girona, without a doubt.