Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SPAIN AND ITALY OR FRANCE AS A FAMILY VACATION

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I with our two teenage boys (15 &amp; 17) would like to spend some time in Europe next year, beg. July for 31/2 weeks. We are able to use time share accommodation in the south of Spain - Mijas Costa. I have read other questions asked about this area and have established that this would be a nice place to visit. My question is which other country to add to our itinerary. France or Italy. I know this sounds rather vague, but would appreciate some ideas. We like the outdoors and nature. Good food and wine. Some cultural highlights are needed too. A few touristy locations would be okay, but we also like to go off the beaten track abit. I have already been told that we don't want to spend all our time in museums. Would also appreciate some accommodation ideas in France or Italy. Or should we look at another country as an alternative? I am doing advance research as I would like this to be an enjoyable vacation.<BR>Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:10 PM
rex

I would recommend &quot;think Alpine&quot; for July - - northern Italy, Alpine France, Germany or Swizterland.<BR><BR>Of these, you could perhaps get a cheap flight connecting to Venice, Milan or Cologne/Bonn best.<BR><BR>Are you talking about 2003? or 2004?<BR><BR>Are you inclined to seek an additional week in a &quot;self-catering&quot; form of lodging (villa or apartment)? If so, the prime time to lock in some plans for 2003 is NOW.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:34 PM
JVS

Although I love Spain dearly,it sounds like France is what you are looking for. I think you will find more opportunities for outdoor activities and getting off the beaten path. (Spain is very arid and you can drive for MILES on the Extremadura without seeing even a tree) And I am sure your sons will appreciate a visit to the wineries or LeMans. Have fun.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Rex and JVS for your input. Alpine sounds good - will look into it.<BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:49 PM
rex

You're welcome - - your screen name here is so similar to somone called &quot;oldorch&quot; (who lives on a street called Old Orchard, I think) - - just a coincidence?<BR>