Spain and Italy in 11-12 days

Aug 10th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Spain and Italy in 11-12 days

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Europe in beg. of October and decided on Spain and Italy- both being a lot I know for 11-12 days but we love Italian and Spanish food and want to experience a little bit of both cultures since we're not always able to travel together and these places are both high on our lists.

We were thinking Madrid, Barcelona, Venice, Cinq Terre and Rome. (I've been to Barcelona and many parts of Italy but he hasn't and needless to say I think both are totally worth seeing again!)

If you have any other suggestions regarding destinations totally willing to hear them and adjust our original plan!

I believe it's cheaper for us to fly into Rome and out of Madrid, just by a quick comparison on flights.

What's a good itinerary for us?? We love food and checking out cute/funky restaurants, beautiful scenery, want to do some of the touristy stuff but also have time to explore local gems, love traveling by train (but want to travel Italy->Spain by airplane), and generally love just walking around taking in the cultures of each city. Our last eurotrip was Paris->Strasbourg->munich->prague and we were able to see some smaller quaint parts as well as bigger city tourist attractions. We like a good mix!

Thank you!!
Aug 10th, 2015, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Tagged Italy not Latvia.... Not sure what happened there.
Aug 10th, 2015, 03:07 AM

Food in Rome, Venice are not really great. Obviously views vary but Bologna/Palma is a major foodie centre. Not far from Venice and there are a bunch of smaller cities around the Verona/Bologna/Venice triangle that might be a good focus. I've been multiple times to Italy and only recently gone to Rome, I don't feel I missed much because of it and I doubt you will (unless you want to see Roman old bits and that was not part of your objective)

In Spain you might look at San Sebastian for great food. Bilbao for the Gug.

Barcelona is special though for the architecture. The funkiest part of Madrid is the gay part, Chueca.

I think, that your foodie objectives conflict with your chosen cities. In terms of scenary, while CT does well, the Dolomites are exceptional and to the north of Venice.

I'd grab a couple guide books from the local library and really think if you have chosen right.
Aug 10th, 2015, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much bilboburger! Will definitely take what you suggested into consideration.

whats your take on madrid? I was interested in san sebastian and bilbao (my bf is in into architecture, urban planning) but didn't think we had time to fit in. Worth to maybe skip touring and just fly out of madrid and check out san sebastian and or bilbao instead?
Aug 10th, 2015, 04:35 AM

I like the old city centre of Madrid and some of the more elegant parts of the 1890 structures, but others are less impressed. For me Madrid offers access to Toledo and the Spanish Palace/Museums which are world class, with a bit of walking around the city centre. October is a good idea as Madrid gets [email protected]@n hot in the middle of summer.

Barcelona is great for town planning, get up to the Olympic venue and take the cable car over the harbour where you can see the city development.

Bilbao is still a bit gritty but the recent developments improve it no end. Very much Basque rather than Castillion. San S is a fantastic looking beach (Oct too cold) and a very laid back town.
Aug 10th, 2015, 07:42 AM

>>Madrid, Barcelona, Venice, Cinq Terre and Rome<<

It doesn't matter if these all places are important to you - 11-12 days isn't enough for all that. You lose at least half a day every move. So say best case you have 12 days 'on the ground' (not counting your arrival and departure days)

You'd have about 9 free days to cover 4 major cities and the CT - just doesn't compute.
Aug 10th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

work permitting we may be able to extend the trip to 15-16 days. I know that changes a lot but totally agree with you… it is a lot to see in such a short amount of time. I'm thinking to take madrid out. It's our best option to fly out of but only slightly cheaper than barcelona->NYC. perhaps more time in barcelona with a day trip to san sebastian is a better idea…
Aug 10th, 2015, 08:43 AM

Look at 16 days:

1 day spent over the Atlantic. 1 day spent w/ arrivals/transfer to hotel/jet lag. 1 day spent flying home. So 16 days suddenly become 13 usable days. Cutting Madrid will help . . . But if it was me I'd cut the CT too. It isn't near Venice or Rome so you lose the best part of a day getting there and more time getting back out.

Barcelona, Venice and Rome would be terrific in the time you have IMO.
Aug 10th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Dunno if the CT is good in October - could be rainy and the area is slippery when wet.

You could do a very decent Venice-Rome-Barca trip in 11-12 nights. Decide why Madrid - if you're not into art museums it can be a bit limited.
Aug 10th, 2015, 06:08 PM
kja

Even if you add time, this trip sounds very rushed to me. I recommend that you get some good guidebooks (always a worthy investment, IME, or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see in each location, note their opening/closing times, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting oriented, etc.). Then see how things fit together.
Aug 12th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Alas, something came up for work and we are now unable to go altogether…. Definitely saving this itinerary and hopefully will get more time so we can include all. Really appreciate all your suggestions, thank you!!!