Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spain and France - which regions are best for day-trips by train or bus?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:26 PM
Melinda

Hello,

Here's our plan:
Two weeks in Spain - 1 week reserved in one hotel and daytrips to every direction by train or bus, 1 week in another hotel in a completely different part of the country,
then the same for two weeks in France.

We would get a train pass, and then explore the locations by rollerblading, or on foot.
Has anyone tried this before? Did you see many people rollerblading in Spain and France?
Also are there any regions you would suggest for interesting daytrips? (We are 21 and 22 years old, sisters, interested in smaller cities/villages, photography, architecture and unique landscapes among other things)

The planning is in the beginning stages, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Would you suggest substituting Portugal for France?

Also, are rooms easy to come by on chance in these countries in late May/early June?? You know like "Zimmer Frei" in Austria... We are looking for basic (2 or 3 star or even less) accomodations.

Thanks, Melinda

Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:33 PM
Rex

Smacks of a need for a map, or a desire to troll.

What happened to this plan, Melinda?

Author: Melinda ([email protected])
Date: 04/20/2002, 04:15 pm

My sister and I, (21 & 22 years old) are planning a trip for next summer. Since we collectively speak some Spanish, French, German and (very little) Italian, I was thinking of visiting these four countries.

===================================

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1365275

Or were you thinking, out of sight, out of mind?

Do you think we have Alzheimer's disease?

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:45 PM
Melinda

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion Rex. Yes I'm the same person, and I was debating if I should reply to my original posting, but since it has a different title than this message's intention, I decided to post a new one.
We decided to drop Germany and Italy, do the regions, and otherwise follow the good advice everyone gave. So why would this be a troll? My name is still Melinda, we are still two sisters planning a trip etc. I'm sorry if this change of plans and the new posting made you mad at me. Maybe I should just plan by myself and only ask very specific questions later on.
I guess I was just looking for some reassurance in the early stages.

Melinda (no trolesse honest)

Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:31 PM
Rex

I thought it was an attempt to be funny - - the notion of one "base" - - to see all of Spain - - by rollerblading.

I'll post a more thoughtful answer later.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:09 AM
Okay, so please

What is the verdit?

Troll? or no troll?

and if not, then what answers ought to be given?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:19 AM
xxx

Well, I think she meant staying in one location for a week and making day trips by TRAIN. Then from the train station they would either 1. walk 2. rollerblade 3. take a bus. Sounds good to me!