Spain: Algeciras: Reina Cristina Website

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain: Algeciras: Reina Cristina Website

Does anyone have the website for the Reina Cristina hotel in Algeciras? Or can you tell me how you booked the hotel? The website that I've seen listed is www.reinacristina.com, but it no longer works. I would prefer to book with the hotel directly, but the only sites that I encounter in my search are booking agents (e.g., Venere, Hotel Club, hotels.com). I'm a little leary of staying at hotels that don't have websites in this computer/internet age.

Some background: Despite many recommendations NOT to stay in Algeciras, it just seems to be the most convenient location for visiting Tangier and Gibraltar. I also realize that no one recommends visiting either of those places, but we've decided to do two day trips anyway. If we were planning to rent a car, we would have more lodging options, but we are planning to take the bus from Seville to Algeciras and then another bus from Algeciras to Granada. We debated about staying on Gibraltar or in La Linea de la Concepcion, but neither location is as conducive to public transporation as Algeciras. So, with that said, we are booked into the new AC Hotel in Algeciras, which looks fine but doesn't have the personality of the Reina Cristina. The parklike grounds for the Reina Cristina look nice, and they have two swimming pools, which will come in handy in the August heat.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Have you researched Tarifa? I believe they have a ferry service to Tangier and its a nicer town. I read about it but have not been there myself - but you might do some research.

FRS Iberia owns the service www.FRS.es

Marrucotur
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks chicagolori. I did look into Tarifa, and agree with you completely about it being nicer. However, there was no availability at the hotels that I liked--and this was trying to book back in March. I guess because August is prime beach time in Spain, and because Tarifa is desirable for windsurfers, they book up quite quickly, or require a minimum stay of 5 nights or more. So Tarifa is out, unfortunately...
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:52 AM

You have the address wrong. It is reinacristina.es

Have fun in Gibraltar and Tangier!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Muchas gracias, laclaire! One would think that in ALL my searching (and I looked for about 2 hours), I would have been able to find the site anyway. I was Googling, Yahooing, etc. and nothing was coming up. Problem solved!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Randomly enough, my friend did her undergraduate internship at the RC Algeciras, which is why I know the address. According to her, it is a wonderful hotel and they keep it clean and very up to date. I trust what she says, and as she was happy to recommend it to me, I do the same to you.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM

I'm considering staying there one night in October after a day in Gibraltar. TripAdvisor has such mixed reviews. Laclaire, how long ago was your friend's internship? It seems their renovating should be done by October. I will check with the hotel, but I'm looking for some more positive feedback. "Decayed elegance, as if right out of an Agatha Christie novel" sounds old and dirty to me. Thanks.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Good luck, ironchef49. I've e-mailed the Reina Cristina twice, as well as filled out their online contact form twice. It's been almost two weeks, and no response to any of my four attempts. That doesn't say much for their customer service. I'm going to stick with the AC Algeciras unless something drastic happens to change my mind.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Ironchef- she was there in '04.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

We ended up at the AC Hotel in Algeciras since we never received any responses from the Reina Cristina. A wise decision. A really new hotel with hip, modern decor. We upgraded to a business/executive suite, so we had a HUGE terrace with sun lounge chairs--great for relaxing since the hotel has no pool. (If you don't get one of those rooms, there is a large terrace with loungers just outside the fitness center for anyone to use). The mini-bar is free in your room, which was a nice touch, and we had free robes and slippers. Hotel restaurant was pretty good. You will need a taxi to the train, bus, and ferry stations, but it is cheap (less than 5 Euros) and the front desk calls the taxis very quickly. A supermarket and gas station (with mini-mart) are a block away, as is a GREAT local restaurant, La Posada de Millan (but no other visible restaurants other than that).