Notices

Spain

Jul 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Spain

Flying from DUB to BCN the afternoon of 10/6 arriving 5:30pm approx. Have the 7th thru the 12th (6 full days) before we fly home from MAD on the 13th. We have spent 3 days in BCN 2 years ago and were charmed by the city so another 3 nights / 2 days is what we would like to allocate here. What then would be suggested for transit to Madrid, where we will probably spend only 1 day / night having made 3 previous trips totaling 9 days in Madrid alone. No preference in either train or driving. Thoughts ??
Jul 7th, 2014, 02:58 PM

Well if just going between those cities take the new high-speed trains that do it in just a few hours - going to near 190 m p h or so so much quicker than driving or even flying, given the intracacies of getting to the airport and back, etc.

Cars are useless in those cities to as you probably know and public transit so so super.

check www.renfe.com - the Spanish Railways site for schedules (bout every hour I think) and fares and if you want to book a specific train weeks in advance you can get good discounts over full walk up fares - but since those tickets are sold in limited numbers book ASAP to get them and be sure of your date and train as I believe there are restrictions on changing and refunding.

that said www.renfe.com is a real flummoxing site for many as many many posts on Fodor's have attested to but give it a try and always ask for help as there are several Fodorites well versed in actually getting the site to work - just post and ask.

And there is also still I believe an overnight hotel train rolling between Barcelona and Madrid if the romantic notion of that srikes home - also save on the cost of a hotel and daytime travel time. For lots of stuff about night trains and Spanish trains in general check out these IMO superb sites: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

As for driving there ain't much nice scenery in between nor any really neat places to stop save Zaragoza I think so just blast between them on the train and have a blast doing it!
Jul 7th, 2014, 06:33 PM

I know PalenQ as a train advocate here on Fodor's, but as a car advocate, let me give my 2 cents: take the train!

While I haven't made the train trip from Barcelona to Madrid, I have been to both cities and while in Madrid this past Jan and May, I had a chance to use the Renfe lines from Madrid.

It might help you to know there are two Madrid train stations: 1) the "main" station called Atocha that serves southern routes such as Barcelona and 2) Charmartin that services the northern routes such as Sergivia.

These rides were comfortable and affordable. The hardest thing for me was figuring out the kiosks for buying the tickets.
Jul 8th, 2014, 05:15 PM

I also vote for the AVE train. Very convenient, fast, and comfortable. I recently led a group of 50 students and parent on an 11 tour through Spain and we took the AVE from Madrid to Barcelona.

Search this Thread