Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   soveniers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/soveniers-841354/)

vitaharbowy May 22nd, 2010 09:22 AM

soveniers

What are some must have soveniers in Florence, Rome, Venice, Lucerne, Paris and London?

Ann1 May 22nd, 2010 09:27 AM

Wine, parmesan cheese, leather, etc. If you're from the US, be careful in France as far as bringing home cheese. Most of it can't be brought into the US. Italy is fine as long as it's sealed. Also no meats.

pookymimi May 22nd, 2010 09:39 AM

Limoncello!
Alcohol is the souvenier of my choice :)

Venezia123 May 22nd, 2010 10:25 AM

I love the murano glass from Italy .They have some really pretty earings in the glass.awhich is easy to pack with you.Or if you buy something large they can ship it.
Painting & watercolors &
Limoncello & wine of course
Leather some great deals i found in Rome for that.

crefloors May 22nd, 2010 12:46 PM

Next time I go to Venice I'm getting a mask, a good one, not the cheapos you see in the shops off St. Marks. They aren't cheap but they are gorgous and I want one. I have found some sources on line but I want to see it in person before I buy it.

traveldawg May 22nd, 2010 12:54 PM

FLORENCE: I still use a small leather travel mat that snaps into a holing box to put all your loose change, watch, etc on the hotel counter at night. I got this at the LEATHER SCHOOL in Florence. This is a great place to buy leather...big and small items. It is in the back of the church where Michaelango is buried. Very well known, but you have to know about it. Easy to find.

VENICE: Big Murano glass must be shipped. Every place does sell the small glass candy items. We bought a lot of the candies, put them into a bowl and they look like the bowl is full of candy. Not expensive and easy to get home.

ANYWHERE: I love to read. I buy the leather book markers labeled with the place. I now have quite a few. Easy to get home. You will see them all over.

LUCERNE: You will find some gigantic watch/clock places in downtown Lucerne. Butcher is a big one. Buy a watch or clock. I have a watch I purchased there in 1998. Still works great and is the Butcher brand. Not cheap, but good quality.

ROME: The shops around the Spanish Steps have great shoe stores. Most European men's shoes are not that great. Italian shoes are great. Look in this area for shoes, ties.

LIQUOR: Hard to get home not broken. You drink and it is gone. You can buy most of the stuff here. Not my idea of a souvenir. Buy it there, drink it there.

cigalechanta May 22nd, 2010 01:32 PM

In
Paris, it's fun to shop the basement of the BHV.
The enamal house numbers and signs that read things like mad dog or cat in French.\
The Metro stop at Les Halles has a boutique where you can buy Metro items. I bought boxer shorts with the metro map designed fabric. My summer time sleep wear.
The Mustard Shop Maille where they sell unusual mustards and buy one in a decoratice ceramic pot that they will refill
for you everytime you return.