Souvenoirs - what is Paris known for....

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Souvenoirs - what is Paris known for....

HI,
I would like to purchase something nice while in Paris so we can always remember our trip. What are the best stores for shopping??? For ex., My dh was in Belgium and brought back beautiful lace and chocolate. What is Paris known for besides wine and paintings.....
tia
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:42 AM

well....maybe its not "classy", but anything with Eiffel Tower on it...
My secret was a cobalt blue ashtray with the tower...
What I showed others was a water color from a vendor along the seine, books, a scarf...and a wine capsule cutter that I bought all my men friends..., raincoats for all the pet dogs in my life, none of which had sketches of the Eiffel Tower or said "Paris"!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:34 AM

For fun things,the tacky souvenir shops along Rue de Rivoli have all the 5" Eiffel Towers and Mona Lisa dishtowels one could hope for.
The Museum gift shops have wonderful things; books, note cards, reproductions and posters, refrigerator magnets, cd roms, etc.
You could always go browsing in one of the designer shops like Chanel or Dior or Hermes and buy yourself an outfit, handbag, or scarf.
And, there are many wonderful antique stores, and fabric shops.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:42 AM

Okay, none of us has really given you "nice" yet, so before I do let me tell you that my grandsons LOVED the stone gargoyles I picked up at a souvenir shop along the Seine by Notre Dame.

I have a lovely water color of the Place de Voges that I bought from the artist with a small shop there. There's also a shop (sorry, someone else will have to help you with the name) on the street that winds up the hill to the funicular that takes you to Sacre Couer in Montmarte. You can't miss the shop. It's large (big windows) and on the left hand side of the street. It carries beautiful needlework and an array of ropes and tassles unlike any I've seen this side of NYC's Scalamandre! I purchased 4 tassles and four ropes at excellent prices and, unluckily, had my suitcase broken into on the return flight and they were stolen. I can't wait to go back and paw through that shop!

Jody, here on Fodor's, can give you ideas for great cook shops
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:39 AM

There are so many things!!! Copper pans, salts, chocolates, wine, pate and foie gras (my favorites), jams, mustards, scarves, leather gloves, there is a Lalique crystal store in the Louvre carosel that I just bought a fantastic ring at, designer clothes, shoes, etc.....

If you want food stuffs, go to Heidard or Fauchon and load up!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:40 AM

All sorts of chic and quirky kitchen and household things from BHV, or maybe La Chaise Longue.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:07 AM

I have found that the same tourist items that are sold along the Rue de Rivoli can be found cheaper at the stores near Notre Dame.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:21 AM

PLASTIC eiffel tower!!!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:28 AM
ira

Plastic, glow in the dark, lights up Eiffel tower.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM

Hi! I'm Robespierre, and I'm a Métro addict.

The RATP sells all kinds of subway kitsch at their store. There's also one on their web site.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:41 AM

i bought a fabulous scarf..can't wait for winter to get here so I can use it again. I love it when someone says to me "what a beautiful scarf" and I reply "Oh thank you. I got it in Paris". I don't always add the "neener neener" part. I bought some gorgeous table linens..hand embroidered...at a store an Blvd. Haussmann called Majolique. I have an amoir that i disply then in..they are pure white and there is NO way coffee is being spilled on them. Also got some really nice towels and table clothes that I DO use all the time at Bouchera...across the street from Galerie Lafayett. On my first trip I bought a painting from one of the many artists on Place du Tertre..hmmm..did I spell that right? Well, anyway, i just really liked it and it wasn't expensive. There are some that "turn their noses up" at the artists there, but ya know? The Mona Lisa is a bit out of my range and I really enjoy the painting and just have great memoiries whenever I look at it. I have some posters also...they are just fun. Somehow I managed to get home with nothing that had the Eiffel Tower on it, but my girlfriend gave me some balsamic vinegar in an Eiffel Tower bottle last christmas so I have my "tower" anyway. I put my dish soap in it now. Just see what appeals to you. There is NO lack of shopping places or things to buy. Shopping is my life!!!!!! LOL
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:11 PM

I have a cut crystal Eiffel Tower with a small clock on it. You can purchase them in all different sizes at a gift shop in the Eiffel Tower or at gift shops along the river where the tour boats depart with or without a clock. I was given a Limoge candle with cover in a bisque color - a scene of Paris lights up with shadows when the tea candle is lit.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:36 PM

by a real size mona lisa print from the louvre shopping arcade.under 20€ (frame not included)

Sam
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM

Boxes of tea from the tea shop Mariage Fréres

http://www.parisbestlodge.com/myster...ismariage.html

Each box comes with 30 hand-tied muslin tea bags. The Marco Polo -- a blend of flowers and fruit -- is a real crowd-pleaser!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:49 PM

Some things are memorable:

Baccarat crystal

Limoges china

Try the shops in the Palais Royal. You may find something truly distinctive (and expensive).
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:43 PM

We try to buy original art (oil, water color, ceramic etc) wherever we go, No - it's not ready for the Met - considering our budget- but we always find something original - and attractive - that reminds us of the trip. And helps take up some of the extra wall space.

In Paris, we found a bunch of stuff we really liked in Montmartre - some water colors, a few oils (they're usually beyond our price range). But you can usually get something attractive and original for a modest price (no more then $200 or so).
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
DAJ

As you walk along the Seine look through the booksellers stalls. I found displays of mirrored compac's with beautiful paris scene's (i.e. notre dame, eiffel tower, sacre couer, etc.). Bought a number of these and used them a stocking stuffers for that years Christmas, and kept one for myself. Wish I'd bought more.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:48 PM

Never come home without lovely Fleur de Sel, one of the most delicious salts in the world. I have tried lots of brands, and I rank Fauchon's the very best. Nice looking glass jars, too. I love to use these, and they are also great souveniers to brind my cooking friends.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:21 PM

An miniature Eiffel Tower, French perfume and of course all my Longchamp handbags that I have purchased.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 10:41 AM

I forgot to mention Roger et Gallet scented soaps, especially in Almond Blossom! I found a great selection at the Cite Pharmacie at 26, Rue du Four in the 6th (I believe this is the place formally known as Pharmacie Fouhety).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -