Souvenirs from Ireland?

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Souvenirs from Ireland?

What souvenirs have you brought back from Ireland? I know there are many different choices. What have you found special?

Thanks,

Mike
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:56 PM

We've bought several hand-knit Aran sweathers -- expensive, but well worth it.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:24 PM

In Kenmare, there is a craft guild that still makes handmade lace. It is beautiful.
I brought a small doilly (sp) sized piece which I display under a hand blown glass bowl we purchased.
Also, in Galway, we purchased some things from the Galway china outlet.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 04:53 AM

We try to buy souvenirs that we will use rather than just look at. Like others we bought Aran sweaters on Inishmor. In Leenane, we bought a Connemara marble mortar & pestle that we use to grind herbs and spices. Outside Ardara Co. Donegal at the John Molloy shop we got a beautiful wool throw for our sofa.
Martha
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:34 AM

TMW,

You needn't be an expert in pottery to enjoy Nicholas Mosse pottery.

Mosse is based in the lovely village of Bennettsbridge, County Kilkenny, and his factory/store is a delight, featuring a wide-range of top quality pottery and other Irish-made goods. Plus, there's a "seconds" area which features numerous fine deals on gently flawed Mosse pottery. Lastly, the Mosse complex offers up an appealing cafe, with scones and other treats served on, what else, Mosse pottery.

I've an ever growing collection of Mosse pottery, and it's always a treat to shop for this attractive, durable pottery on my trips to Erin.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:56 AM

I always love to buy waterford crystal. The first time I ever went to Ireland I bought a waterford tumbler, and decided then, that I would buy one each time I went. I don't collect any particular pattern, but get a different one each time. I have about 7 tumblers and a couple of wine glasses , all different patterns. That way I can enjoy the different patterns.
In Northern Ireland, I bought a piece of Belleek after touring the factory.
And of course, I bought an aran sweater.
Oh and if you don't want to get started with Walterford crystal glasswear, I also bought a Waterford jam pot, which is beautiful.
Happy shopping.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 06:00 AM

I have to second that John Molloy shop outside of Ardara, Co. Donegal. I got so many wonderful things there--including a sofa throw.