Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Souveniers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/souveniers-211416/)

Kim Nov 30th, 2001 07:59 AM

Souveniers

We have several people we would like to bring back small souveniers from our trip to Paris & London. Without a lot of detail..they really made this trip happen for us and it is our first trip. Does anyone have suggestions on what to look for in inexpensive gift ideas?

c Nov 30th, 2001 08:08 AM

You really can't go wrong with some nice teas from London. Maybe throw in a tea towel. From France, my female friends always enjoy getting some cosmetic products. While in London, check out the store Lush for some nice soaps or bath bombs that you can't get over here.

Kim Nov 30th, 2001 08:54 AM

Thanks, if you see this same question, it is from my sister Kay. It didn't look like mine went through so she redid it right after me. Sorry. Thanks so much for the ideas. I'll be sure to check them out. I sure had not even thought of bath products! All girls do love them!

elaine Nov 30th, 2001 09:01 AM

Kim<BR>In addition to teas, Fortnum and Mason's and Harrods have many store-name products like jams, cookies, etc. Some of the teas and such come with mugs, or in pretty containers.<BR>Also, the Victoria and Albert Museum, like other museums in Paris and London, has a great gift shop. <BR>Paris also has great cookware shops, also candles, mustards, chocolate, lavender products, ceramics, honeys, etc.

cdf Nov 30th, 2001 09:12 AM

We always went straight to Harrods,bought Harrods brand coffee,so good! teas in nice little tins, candies, anything that said Harrods,also Fortnum & Mason..got the kids undies from Marks and Spencer:) and perfumes from Penhalligans.Also-in Covent Garden is Neals Yard, great young shopping for organic stuff,scents,soaps,candles.In Covent Garden also is a poster shop that sells posters of the Underground(Tube) from the 1930's..we brought back a few of those and they were big hits everytime.

cdf Nov 30th, 2001 09:14 AM

Paris-I like to shop along the Seine at the booksellers, they have good posters,black and white photos of Paris from the 40's & 50's..perfumes,Fauchons sweets in tins,scarves,small Provencal bowls,cups whatever from shops on the Left Bank..always date books and calendars from the D'Orsay...nothing like being home and on Jan 1st taking out the new calendar and it is from Paris and brings back all of your memories, and gives ideas to others to take that trip too~C

Wendy Nov 30th, 2001 12:03 PM

Last time I was in Paris I picked up these boxes of 6 coasters with differen Latrec posters or Paris sites on them. These were just paper on cork and not very expensive at all. Everyone loved them though and now i have more orders to bring some back when I go next month. Also I like teas and shortbread biscuits from London.

Grasshopper Nov 30th, 2001 12:05 PM

I buy scarves everywhere. They pack flat and don't take any room. Buy more than you think need because when you get home you will wish you had more.

mariacallas Nov 30th, 2001 12:27 PM

My favorite presents to give from Paris are hair ornaments, earrings, and perfume. For men-wine or chocolate.

Kim Nov 30th, 2001 12:50 PM

Great ideas! I need all the suggestions I can get and you all are so nice to offer them!

Chris Nov 30th, 2001 12:58 PM

Kitchen towels with the breads or wine of France.

Judy Nov 30th, 2001 01:32 PM

Apple tea from Fauchon,Paris is always a big hit among my relatives.<BR>My sister bought lots silk neckties in Paris as presents,she said it costed double for same things in Narth America.

Karen Nov 30th, 2001 04:08 PM

Kim,<BR><BR>From Paris you might consider:<BR><BR>1. Berets. They're everywhere (touristy shops and department stores), inexpensive ($5-$8), come in many colors and sizes, and easy and light to pack. My family loved them for Christmas.<BR><BR>2. Fashion magazines for teen-age girls ... in French, of course. Easy to pack.<BR><BR>3. Children's books in French for the small ones. Easy to pack.<BR><BR>4. Corkscrews with the Eiffel as the handle found in kitchen stores and deli's. Or kitchen towels with Eiffel or Arc on them.<BR><BR>5. Little Eiffel Towers and Arc de Triomphes. They come in all sizes (1" to 12"); are metal or plastic and are light to pack and unbreakable.<BR><BR>6. Newspaper in French if you have someone who is addicted to the news or newspapers (my dad!!).<BR><BR>7. Bookmarks from the famous museums. Inexpensive and easy to pack.<BR><BR>8. Socks with the Eiffel or Arc on them. A little cheesy..but easy to pack and inexpensive.<BR><BR>I don't think you'll have a problem finding small gifts to take home.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!<BR>

Pat Nov 30th, 2001 04:23 PM

This is a great time of year to pick up calendars at various museums/shops that reflect art/scenery of the area you are visiting. They pack flat, too

KenCT Nov 30th, 2001 05:02 PM

Since I like to travel really light - It is a running joke among my friends that I should write a guidebook on laundromats in London and Paris - I go for flat, lightweight souveniers. Pretty much eliminates things in glass jars, for example. <BR><BR>On my last trip to London, I discovered Rosetta Stone mousepads at the British Museum. I bought a bunch of them and they were a huge hit. So much so that a couple of people ordered them online.

Linda Nov 30th, 2001 05:11 PM

My husband and I always bring back Christmas ornaments and a watercolor from all our trips. It is so much fun to decorate our tree and remember the fun trips we have taken. Also our home has some lovely pictures to remind us of the places we have been.

cdf Nov 30th, 2001 05:47 PM

I did splurg last time in Paris and bought my daughter and myself the Longchamp totes-they are the best carry ons .C

cdf Nov 30th, 2001 06:18 PM

sorry - splurge.