Southern Spain- paradors and hotels

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Spain- paradors and hotels

We would like any recommendations for our trip to Southern Spain in early June. What route would you drive? Hotels? Paradors? Sites besides churches and museums? Thanks, Judyjr
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 03:59 AM

I stayed in many Paradors on my travels in Spain - they are all amazing, but the ones that really stayed in my memory were:
* Alacon
* Carmona
* Toledo
* Granada
* Jarandilla (not sure how this is spelt).
* Avilla
* Zafra
* Leon

These were all amazing - let me kow if you want more details on ny in particular?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

I would appreciate the information you have,jadecr, on the paradors in Carmona and Granada. If you stay at the paradors, how long does it take to drive to the main town/city? Was parking a problem when you left the parador? Thanks.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:54 AM

You can learn more about the paradors here: www.parador.es/ingles/index.htm
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:55 PM

I personally think the parador in Granada is overpriced--what you are paying for there is the location, not the room--which is fine if that's what you want to do and you know up front. There are lots better hotels in the city of Granada--The new AC hotel looks very nice.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:56 PM

We made a big loop on our two-week trip. Madrid--AVE train to Sevilla--car to Ronda(for an hour or two) onto Nerja--day trip to Granada--Granada train back to Madrid. I can't comment on the paradors, but the highlights of our trip were:
5.Alhambra
4.Eating Ayo's Paella in Nerja
3.Exploring rest of Sevilla
2.Casa de Pilatos in Sevilla
1-BEST.Nerja's beaches
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:35 PM

The classic rout thru southern Spain includes: take the AVE to Sevilla. After touring Sevilla, rent a car at the train station in Sevilla and drive to Ronda. Then from Ronda on to Granada and then on back to Madrid.

Not sure what you are wanting to spend for hotels, but here are a few choices: Las Casas de la Juderia in Sevilla [eat at Modesto], Molino del Santo in Benoajan [just out side Ronda] or the Parador in Ronda, and Melia Granada or Hotel Carmen in Granada. re Granada: you face in a defintie choice in hotel locations. The Alhambra [a must] is up on a hill above town. There are a number of hotels near it including the parador. However, my suggestion is that you stay not near the Alhambra, but downtown where you will access to the life of the twon, stores, cafes, etc when you are not visiting the Alhambra. Let me know a little more about your polans and I will help anyway I can.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:56 AM

Judyyjr, I just stayed at the Parador in Granada and Ronda and with neither will you need a car to get to town. Ronda is right in the middle of town, and in Granada it is a good ten minute walk down, but you might want to taxi back up the steep hill. Ronda's parador was my favorite and has a spectacular view and buffet breakfast.