Southern Spain: Malaga, Granada, Cordoba

Apr 26th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Southern Spain: Malaga, Granada, Cordoba

My husband and I are currently in Malaga and I thought Id post some observations before I get too lazy/busy when we return home.

First, Malaga! Wow. We went back and forth between this larger city and returning to Seville. When the weather finally turned for the better, we opted for Malaga and cancelled our Seville reservation. Am I glad we did! Malaga is really nice. It feels like we havoe it all: a city beach, great fish restaurants right on the water, a nearby city center with a huge and hopping food scene, historical sites, and museums. We are both really impressed.

Granada

Full disclosure, our impression of Granada might be impacted by the cold and rainy weather we encountered during our two night stay...

We stayed at the Parador de Granada. I resisted a bit thinking that it was too pricey and too far away from the city, but Im really glad we stayed there especially with the cold and wet weather.

What i did not fully grasp before experiencing it is that the various sites of the Alhambra sort of circle around the parador. So, for instance, one can visit one site during their time slot and run back to the hotel and then line up for the next visit (within their time slot). Again, with the poor weather, having a short 5 minute stroll to the palaces, etc. was really handy.

The staff at the parador and the facilities were excellent. We opted for half-board and Im glad we did. The food, especially breakfast, was delicious. Tip: The half-board dinner included a starter and main dish, with a small 4E supplement for some meat dishes. (We were confused by this when we were handed the menus with prices.) Breakfast was a buffet and the selections were abundant.

I am happy that Ive seen Alhambra, but we were less wowed by the site than we thought wed be. But again, the weather might have had a lot to do with it.

Ill gather my thought on Cordoba soon...

(Sorry for any typos, etc. Im pecking this out on my phone.)

Apr 26th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Tell Moderator to mark this as a Trip Report so more may read it.
Apr 26th, 2019, 01:32 PM

>>Tell Moderator to mark this as a Trip Report so more may read it.<<.

??? It IS tagged a TR --
Apr 26th, 2019, 03:29 PM

ok..I will agree with you on both counts.
Alhabra at night was an experience but I never had a desire to return.

Apr 27th, 2019, 02:33 AM

shame that you did not get the chance to experience the Alhambra in good weather. When we went in November a few years ago the weather was perfect and the Generalife gardens were wonderful. The night-time experience in the Nasrid palaces was great too with far fewer people so you could see a lot more than you could in the day.

It is definitely one of those places where the weather can significantly affect the experience.
Apr 27th, 2019, 07:59 AM

Too bad about the weather, Definitely can make things more difficult when you are dealing with rain. We will be in Granada in 2 and 1/2 weeks and I’m hoping for some sun. We’re staying at Hotel Santa Isabel la Real, parador was booked when I was making reservations. But this hotel is within walking distance and I was able to to get tickets through the hotel for the Alhambra. Are you still going to Sevilla? I was thinking of making a day trip to Cadiz from Sevilla, but Malaga sounds interesting.
Apr 27th, 2019, 08:05 AM

We loved Malaga! Some people were surprised we were going there because it has a reputation of being a spring break party haven. I think Malaga is seriously under-rated. I agree 100% with bibliotecaria's description. We stayed 2 nights and wish we had a 3rd night.
Apr 27th, 2019, 08:08 AM

Bibliotecaria, what is your itinerary and how many nights in each place? Madrid and Andalucia is one of my favorite all-time trips! It's too bad it was raining in Granada. That does make a difference. We were there in September 2017 and had gorgeous weather the entire trip, except perhaps a tad too hot in Seville (90-95 F).
Apr 27th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macdogmom View Post
Too bad about the weather, Definitely can make things more difficult when you are dealing with rain. We will be in Granada in 2 and 1/2 weeks and Im hoping for some sun. Were staying at Hotel Santa Isabel la Real, parador was booked when I was making reservations. But this hotel is within walking distance and I was able to to get tickets through the hotel for the Alhambra. Are you still going to Sevilla? I was thinking of making a day trip to Cadiz from Sevilla, but Malaga sounds interesting.

This is my first time replying using the mobile site, so lets hope Im not messing this up...

i totally agree that Malaga is very underrated! I honestly recommend a stay here. Our second day/evening out were just as terrific. We ate dinner tonight at this bar to the edge of the busy centro restaurant areaand had limited expectations. But of course that tapas were great and really cheap! The only thing we havent discovered is Rome-quality gelato/helado. Well keep testing We have plans to walk up to the Alcazaba tomorrow and make it to the Picasso museum on Monday.

Back to Granada... We had tickets to the palaces at night and during the day. We were able to enjoy both visits. We also saw the Alcazaba in decent weather, but it just poured rain during our Generallife visit. Nor did we try to get photos of Alhambra from a distance, which was my biggest disappointment.

Seville

Wed visited Seville and its historical sites a decade ago, so our quick one-night stay was to be somewhere familiar for our sleepy jet lagged state of mind and to see the new-to-us mushroom thing. (Sorry. Too much wine tonight.) Nothing too exciting to report: We walked, we are, we saw the mushroom.

Cordoba

We stayed a single night in Cordoba and felt that it was enough. Both my husband and I really enjoyed the 9:39 p.m. visit to the Mezquita. They put on a really nice production. We visited the Mezquita twice and were floored during both visits. I think we enjoyed the visits to the Mezquita more than the Alhambra visits.

I hope this helps add the the wealth of information available for other peoples trip planning. Ill add info about our fantastic Malaga hotel after we depart.
Apr 27th, 2019, 02:28 PM

We loved the Alcazaba in Malaga with its lush greenery, beautiful flowers, small patios, fountains and ruins! You will have gorgeous views of the Mediterranean and the port as you walk uphill. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. And we really liked the Picasso Museum, too. It's the only art museum we had time to visit in Malaga.
May 5th, 2019, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Malaga is nothing but a warm and sunny memory now that we are back home in chilly, rainy New England. But what a memory! We stayed at the fabulous Gran Hotel Miramar in Malaga and really loved it. The hotel was perfectly located on the beach just beyond the port area. We were a little worried about the location being too far from the center of town but it turns out that the 15-20 minute stroll (via a pretty tiled pedestrian walkway) was perfect for walking off dinner each night.

Madrid

Since we would only be in Madrid for about 12 hours to sleep, we stayed at the Petit Palace Plaza Mayor. We chose the hotel for its proximity to the food hall for an easy dinner that evening. The hotel was fine. We were up and out the door before breakfast since we'd received an email from Iberia informing us of the security workers' strike at the airport directing us to be at the airport four hours in advance.

Flights

We took advantage of a really good promotional deal to move our AmEx points to Iberia Airlines and wound up getting enough points for two round trip tickets for two people versus the one trip on Delta. This was our first trip on Iberia. We flew business class and were really happy with the staff and service. The food was fine and the wine was a little too good. Tip: Get the Iberia app to streamline the checkin process and avoid some lines.

I hope this inspires others to visit Malaga! I suspect we will return in a couple of years.