Notices

Southern Spain in mid September

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Spain in mid September

We are planning our 2 weeks trip and canít decide on places to visit. Also the mid September term looks like very busy down there. Any suggestion what to avoid, what to MUST see, what to book ahead.

Any quiet place, village, on the beach for one day relax?

We are renting a car in Madrid and returning it also there.

We have been in Madrid, Toledo, Barcelona and the Northern Spain.

Many Thanks!!!!!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:09 AM

The Alhambra and the mosque in Cordoba are spectacularly beautiful.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:17 AM

We were in Andalusia in mid-September last year for our honeymoon. It was busy, but not overly crowded. Here's what we saw:

Granada (2 days) - Alhambra and walking around the city (recommended)

Jerez de la Frontera - we did not enjoy our stay here, mainly because of our hotel, but also because of the city itself. We found it to be a very weird place. We did spend a day in Sanlucar de Barrameda, where there's a fabulous beach. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go to Cadiz, Arcos de la Frontera or Ronda.

Seville - visited main sites (old town, cathedral, Plaza d'Espana). Had a great time. It's a really nice city and the tapas are so good.

Hope that helps. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM

We were in Andalucia (as well as other parts of Spain) in mid- to late Sept last year. I have a trip report around here somewhere. We also rented a car from Madrid and did a loop, which included Extremadura, Andalucia, and La Mancha.

The Andalucia part of our trip included Seville (2 nights), Ronda (2 nights), Antequera (1 night), and Cazorla (Natural Park for 2 nights). Along the way we stopped in Granada to see the Alhambra, which was worth going to Spain to see. We both were underwhelmed with Seville, but feel that it must be experienced. We both thoroughly enjoyed Ronda and Cazorla. Antequera was best forgotten.

We didn't get to the beach as we live in So California and weren't too interested in the beach.

We didn't find any place to be overly busy or packed, though Seville seemed more crowded than the others. (Obviously Madrid was as well) Even the Alhambra didn't seem as crowded as the cathedral in Seville for some reason. But I don't think it was nearly as crowded as it is in other months, though.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:19 AM

I agree with most, but for Seville, Granada and Cordoba be sure your hotels have parking, as it is a nightmare to park in the street, and you wont need the car for touring these cities. Minimum one night Cordoba and one night Granada, two nights Seville. Buy Alhambra tickets in advance online, read the conditions carefully, there are several posts. For Cordoba I usually go to the Mosque-Cathedral after lunch, it is fresh and quiet.
Browse the net for these cities: Arcos de la Frontera, Ronda, Carmona, Osuna, Antequera.
"Quiet" beaches you can find at Torre del Mar to Nerja. It is a nice drive Granada-Alhama de Granada-Torre del Mar.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:46 AM

With two weeks to visit places, make sure you go to Granada, Sevilla, and Cordoba, not in that order.

Personally I could spend the two whole weeks in Sevilla and still need more time. I've visited Granada and it was good but I probably not return. I didn't take the time to Cordoba but it's good too-for some time anyway.

From Sevilla you can drive to Cadiz or El Puerto de Santa Maria, across the bay. Both cities very old-they're over 3,000 years old. So, there's lots of history in that area.

Sanlucar de Barrameda (sp?) does have a good beach but the most action would be at the bars/restaurants. This is good, fresh sea food. Spend an afternoon testing the tapas.

Jerez isn't my choice-see previous poster's thoughts. Arcos only takes a few hours max.

If you use Sevilla as a base, Cadiz is just more than an hour's drive. You could drive down to the coast at Huelva and turn right to Portugal. Across the border are a few nice markets.

Carmona is about 25 kms from Sevilla and this is a good place to have lunch. The speciality at the Paradore is goat and they do know to cook goat. Yummmmm!

I love Sevilla.

Blackduff
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:07 AM

You're in luck! Sevilla's Bienal de Flamenco (even numbered years) happens beginning around 10 Sep and continues for about a month. Use those keywords and you might find a schedule of events.

When I want to relax I go west to Huelva and stop at the Parador de Cristobal Colon (in Mazagon). The beach there shouldn't be too crowded in mid-Sep. East of the Guadalquivir and the Donana wildlife refuge there's Sanlucar, el Puerto de Santa Maria, Chipiona and Cadiz.

A rental car can be a burden in Sevilla. Have you thought about taking AVE to Sevilla (and back), maybe renting one for a few days to do an 'Andalucia loop,' and returning it at Santa Justa rail station??
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your posts, that is awesome, can't wait.