Southern Italy...toe? heal? both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Catania, Italy for a 4 day convention and then have 6 more days to explore more of Sicily or Southern Italy before flying back to Dallas from Rome. For those of you that have traveled that area, do you suggest we stick with the Amalfi Coast only or do we have time to visit the Adriatic Coast, as well?? Although we have been to Rome, Tuscany and Northern Italy many times, we've never been South of Rome. Obviously, Naples and Pompeii are "for sure" visits and Positano and the Isle of Capri are possibilities. Any suggestions from the Southern Italy experts are very much appreciated by these Texans!
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

*heel??
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:23 PM

If you are going to be in Catania the whole four days of the convention, then use the other six days for the rest of Sicily. There is so much to see there, six days is not even enough. It is absolutely beautiful. Don't miss Agrigento.

When are you going? Weather would be a factor for me.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

We are not going until late April 2013. We are just thinking ahead to get the best airfares and hotel rates. Would you rent a car and drive through Sicily, Sassafrass?
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Something else to keep in mind...I'm almost positive we will have time to tour other parts of Sicily during the 4 day convention based in Catania.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 09:31 PM

Our trip to Sicily was, unfortunately short and limited in scope, so we did not have a car and saw only bits. What we did see was amazing and the food was fabulous. I want very much to go back and would absolutely spend the whole ten days there. Sicily is bigger than you night think, and there are things on both the East and West sides of the island to see. Some people say it takes a week on each side, and based on what I saw, I belive it, so I would still use the other six days to really see more of Sicily.

Even if you have some free time during the convention, it is too far for you to go anywhere on the West coast. You would most likely only see a couple of things nearby.

Just pull up some of the threads on Sicily for great info on all that is there.
I would definitely rent a car. April should be beautiful for the wild flowers.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 09:39 PM

Distance to the Adriatic coast is much farther than it looks on the map, a very long day's drive from Catania. Then from Bari it's about 5 hours back to Rome, not counting stopping on the Amalfi coast.

From Catania, you would be able to do a side trip to Syracuse, but could not see the really good things in such a short time. Ortigia at sunset, for example, and the Greek theatre there along with other archaeological sites.
You could also side trip to Taormina, but again, you need a full couple of days to enjoy it.

Get a good Guidebook on Sicily, Green Guides does one, and see if it appeals to you. If you really want to see the more touristy , busy areas around Amalfi, that could be done, only allow one full day of driving, training or ferrying to get there.
On the other hand the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento is just as impressive as Pompei. And Palermo is somewhat similar to Naples, a little gritty, but so interesting. Fly back to Rome from there.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 04:13 PM
kja

It depends on your interests!

It sounds like you are committed to seeing the Amalfi Coast, including Naples and Pompeii. Six days is not unreasonable, IMO, for a visit to that area. That should give you enough time to really enjoy that area.

I am a great fan of Sicily, which I think deserves at least 2, if not 3, weeks. You could spend some time visiting part of this very large and very interesting island with the time you have, but I think you would then need to restrict your time on both Sicily and the Amalfi Coast to just a few of your very high priority destinations.

I don't think it would make sense to go to Puglia with the time frames you mention.

But these are just my opinions!
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Ir you are going to Amalfi in April you need to now that it's too early for beach weather. You can tour Pompeii and Capri - and as long as you are after Easter most of the hotels and restaurants will be open - but the season doesn;t really begin until late May.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 03:09 AM

I just took a driving trip (Last September) from Calabria to the Amalfi Coast. It was wonderful. You can drive along the coast, alternating with driving inland, stopping at towns including Tropea, Amantea, Castrovillari, Maratea, the Cilento including Paestum, and on to Salerno and the Amalfi Coast. Highlights were food and scenery (and for me, swimming, but you will be too early for sea swimming).

If this appeals to you, I will post more information and answer any questions.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 05:02 AM

Stay in Sicily---plenty to see.