Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Solo Traveler: Santorini or Mykonos (or alternative) for 3 nights?

Old Jun 25th, 2015, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to the Greek islands on my way to Athens for 3 nights. I am coming from Rome and headed to Athens for my flight home in July. I will have visited Barcelona and Florence previously. I am wondering which island is best to spend 3 or 4 days away from city heat. I am traveling alone and looking to see some of the sea. I've heard great things about the views of Santorini, but am also looking for some beach time. I would love to hear any suggestions. Thank you!
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 04:54 AM

Beaches are significantly better in Mykonos. They are just middling in Santorini. Plus, I'd argue that Mykonos is a better place for a single traveler.

Just don't stay at a beach resort there. Stay in Mykonos Town and ride out to the beach on a ferry or a scooter.

But if you want quiet and no nightlife, there may be better options than Mykonos. Other than the beach, what are you looking for?
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 07:12 AM

Mykonos is a 24/7 RAVE scene in July, and the beaches will be jam-packed, so if you're not into a constant party atmosphere you probably wouldn't enjoy it there. In addition, it's one of the few Greek islands, along with Santorini, visited by frequent large cruise ships which also add to the chaos.

If you want to avoid all that choose an island with no airport and/or where the cruise ships do not go. There are many of them, but take a look at Skopelos, Antiparos, Folegandros and Hydra for starters.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 09:57 AM

Santorini is great for views, and has black sand (grit) beaches. Mykonos has beautiful golden sand beaches, and the archaeological site on the nearby island of Delos. Both Santorini and Mykonos will be very crowded in July. The party scene on Mykonos doesn't start much before midnight in town, earlier on certain beaches. It should be easy to avoid the party scene if you wish.

Are you planning a direct flight from Rome to Mykonos or Santorini? If those islands don't appeal, you could hop on a ferry to Naxos, a quieter family island with some of the best beaches in Greece.

Since you are coming from Rome, also consider Corfu and the other Ionian islands which are closer to Italy.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 03:51 AM

Suggestions like Hydra, Skopelos, Folegandros are nonsense they do not have good beaches.

Mykonos has a variety of beaches, they are not 24/7 rave beaches, or all packed, that only applies to a few.

Antiparos is OK, but the better beaches are on Paros itself, or nearby Naxos, or Ios.

If you want quieter islands with good beaches maybe Serifos, Sifnos, Milos.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 06:58 AM

Everyone has their own opinion and preferences but I've never understood why a "great beach" can't be one with rocks instead of sand. For me it's all about the water, not the shore.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 12:09 AM

Both are good choices. If you had to choose one though, I would pick Santorini. Take your pick of beaches, there are plenty: http://www.greekguide.com/en/entitie...3?sort_by=rank