Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Southern Italy - Pregnant Wife (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/southern-italy-pregnant-wife-164209/)

John Feb 22nd, 2002 11:09 AM

Southern Italy - Pregnant Wife

I would like to spend 3 or 4 days in the Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi/Capri area after spending 3 days in Rome, and need help in deciding where to pursue accommodations.<BR><BR>What are the advantages/disadvantages in staying in Naples vs Capri vs Sorrento vs Positano? 1 special consideration - my wife will be 7 months pregnant at the time.

Christine Feb 22nd, 2002 11:18 AM

What woman in her right mind would travel out of the country when she is 7 months pregnant? I have had 4 children with 4 very different pregnancies, and 2 earlier than expected complicated deliveries. You should be taking a local relaxing vacation at this point of the pregnancy. Try a luxury resort spa closer to home.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Feb 22nd, 2002 11:19 AM

John, Stay in Sorrento--user friendly and in the middle. Positano is vertical and Capri is too isolated. Good luck !

Linda Feb 22nd, 2002 11:27 AM

John, I highly encourage Sorrento, simply because it is more central. Bob is correct, any place on the Amalfi Coast is simply too verticle. Capri is beautiful, but it is an island and reaching other areas can be time-consuming. Naples is a good possibility also, but Sorrento's closeness to all other areas makes it your best choice for this short visit.

Bill Feb 22nd, 2002 11:29 AM

John, I myself would hesitate traveling such a distant journey with my pregnant wife. I wish you both well, but please think this over carefully. You will not have the luxuries of your hospital or the knowledge of your wife's physician.

Kelly Feb 22nd, 2002 11:34 AM

Well John, you seem to have already made up your mind about this trip. So maybe you end up with an Italian baby.

John Feb 22nd, 2002 11:47 AM

Thanks to All. I expected to be challenged on logic of taking wife all the way to Italy in 7th month, but am unfortunately am up against a power greater than me - that is, HER. Given that, I'm trying to chose best location. Its TBD if we do actually go or not.

hamlet Feb 22nd, 2002 12:12 PM

I also recommend Sorrento of all your choices. There is a lot of climbing stairs in Positano, although hopefully you will at least be able to enjoy the view on a ride down the coast. Capri is a lot of walking, sometimes climbing depending where you go. And I would chose a more relaxing pace/place than Naples for a woman about to give birth. <BR><BR>(NB - there is a hospital right in Sorrento.)

Kate Feb 22nd, 2002 01:29 PM

Good luck! Have your wife get 2 copies of her full OB medical record to take with. Keep one in the Hotel safe & she should carry one with her at all times (better safe than sorry.) If it will be a warmer month...two letters for you...AC! Watch out for raw-milk cheeses!<BR><BR>Sorry, no advice on the other. Only visited Rome during our last trip.

mom Feb 22nd, 2002 06:39 PM

You might want to check with the airlines regarding flying that far into a pregnancy.They used to not allow women to fly after the 6th month.

Barbara Feb 22nd, 2002 07:45 PM

Hving had three children, I tend to agree with those who think you should stay closer to home, however, I also sympathize with your wife's desire to go to Italy. Perhaps she could ask her OB/GYN if he knows any doctors in the areas you are considering, and what he thinks about the trip.

Barbara Feb 22nd, 2002 07:47 PM

..and, of course, your wife may have a female OB/GYN.

Kate Feb 22nd, 2002 08:51 PM

And in my experience...the male & female OB's (within my practice) held the same opinions. I traveled constantly (with work) through the pregnancies of both of my children. I was advised to discontinue travel, both times, at around 30 - 32 weeks. I usually extended those "deadlines," but only by a week or so. It's risky to travel that late in your pregnancy....but it could be really exciting too. Just be prepared to deal with any possible situation.

yes Feb 22nd, 2002 09:27 PM

oh geez!!!! I suppose there are no children born in Naples, Capri, Sorrento, Positano!!!!???? come on people...giving birth is a natural thing, not an infirmity. United States is not the only place in the world with birthing facilities. sheesh

sofia Feb 22nd, 2002 11:28 PM

NO ONE wants to go into LABOR in a FOREIGN country!!! A woman that is 7 months pregnant should not be traveling out of the country. And I believe some airlines may not allow her to board if they know she is that far gone. But if she is that headstrong and rebellious then let her learn her lesson the hard way.

Mark Feb 23rd, 2002 12:22 AM

Dear John, Grow Some Balls! You can and should prevent this nightmare from happening. Europe will still be there after this child is born. So, why rush when the timing is off? Don't be bullied by a neurotic pregnant wife. You need to think of her and the baby's safety first, even if she refuses to.

Anonyimouse Feb 23rd, 2002 12:28 AM

Don't ya just love the opinions of strangers? Maybe they would like to contribute to the college trust fund of your future child -- probably not, they just like to give out free advice.<BR><BR>People mind your own business, he didn't ask you if he and his wife should go to Italy, he asked for suggestions as to where they should go in Italy.

xyz Feb 23rd, 2002 12:49 AM

Kavey, we are all sooooo sick of you!!!

xyz Feb 23rd, 2002 12:55 AM

Or, are you jeff jaguar? Hmmmmm. Well, now I wonder if Kavey and you are the same person, or just two pathetic losers ruining this board for the rest of us. And, I'm sure Capo will write his manuscript here as well, sooner or later.